BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

1 recommendation

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Man of Steel Reviews

So who other than me has seen the movie? I loved it... loved the more serious Superman (the campy & jovial superman was was out of date). Dont get me wrong there were a few times where there was insterted humour, but gone are the days of the Lex Luthor played by Gene Hackman (Although Hackman was perfect for the way they wanted to play out the feel of that film)

Only thing that bothered me so Lois knows his secret identity that quickly, and it seems the police that drove her to Ma Kent's farm must know too.. And it seems like Pete Ross kind of realizes it ..Clark's secret to Lois was kind of a big part of the story... you can not put that genie back in the bottle

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

just saw it, liked it a lot.... I even noticed the Luthor Corp truck in the big fight sequence

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

yeah I noticed that too... I remember reading about that being in there a few days ago

I am glad they did not bring up his weakness to kryptonite into this show.It would have been far too easy for the writers to somehow have Zod & company tricked into a room full of Kryptonite
animepenguin
join:2001-04-29
Arecibo, PR

animepenguin to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Too bad they left Clark Kent out of most of the movie.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by animepenguin:

Too bad they left Clark Kent out of most of the movie.

He was Clark /Kal El the whole movie except when they once refer to him as superman. Lois even yells after him as "Clark" when he was in his costume. Yes they did leave out the reporter aspect of it.. but IMO the way they told the story they showed lots of Clark making his way through Canada into the arctic.

KingOfPants
Premium Member
join:2002-11-11
Canada

KingOfPants

Premium Member

Just saw this at the drive-in. Was really good, liked it a lot. Think I might if missed something though. But how did Clark find the scout ship buried in ice? Did I just space out or what?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by KingOfPants:

Just saw this at the drive-in. Was really good, liked it a lot. Think I might if missed something though. But how did Clark find the scout ship buried in ice? Did I just space out or what?

When he was working as a waiter (where the prick poured the beer all over him), he overheard the Canadian soldiers speaking about it amongst themselves.
Alpha Phoenix

Alpha Phoenix to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I just came back from seeing it and OMMFG!!!!!! This movie is EPIC!!!!!! I'm getting this on Blu-Ray for sure when it comes out!

AMAZING battle sequences!!! The special effects were insane! That final battle was on an epic, Dragon Ball Z type scale!

Only one thing I'm conflicted about though...... Superman doesn't kill. He snapped Zod's neck and killed him in this movie! In the moment, I kinda saw it coming, but still held off on believing it was going to go that way because.... well, it's Superman, and he doesn't kill! When it actually happened, I was stunned... shocked even!
I don't know why when he had Zod in that choke hold, he didn't just fly straight up with him in order to save that family.

Also I waited the whole movie to hear his say "Kneel before Zod!" Was kinda disappointed that it never came.

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

Epic!!! Amazing battle scenes. The art direction is just incredible!

Getting it on blu-ray

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

I just came back from seeing it and OMMFG!!!!!! This movie is EPIC!!!!!! I'm getting this on Blu-Ray for sure when it comes out!

AMAZING battle sequences!!! The special effects were insane! That final battle was on an epic, Dragon Ball Z type scale!

Only one thing I'm conflicted about though...... (spoiler)

superman has killed before .. he killed doomsday ... he does it but does not like to .. him screming "no" at the end was showing his disdain for it. He could have flew up with him but then what? He come back down and terrorizes people again? Or is superman stuck in an eternal headlock with Zod?

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I saw it with my wife last night. And honestly we were both disappointed with it. The story seemed to fly by too fast and I'm not a big fan of how it jumped around in the time line. Plus it seemed we didn't get to know the cast enough before everything went to hell.

Also the special effects and fight scenes while great looking reminded me of the Transformers movies. They were too fast and too busy to follow at times. I don't know maybe I'm getting old

Overall we thought it was ok. Good cast and well done acting. We liked the dialogue as well. Henry Cavill makes a good superman and looked good as Clark Kent in the glasses in the end. Zod was well played too.
beavercable
Premium Member
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR

beavercable to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I liked the guy that played Zod but I was thrown off as I watched him in bad boys 2 the night before.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
said by Fir_Na_Tine:

I saw it with my wife last night. And honestly we were both disappointed with it. The story seemed to fly by too fast and I'm not a big fan of how it jumped around in the time line. Plus it seemed we didn't get to know the cast enough before everything went to hell.

Also the special effects and fight scenes while great looking reminded me of the Transformers movies. They were too fast and too busy to follow at times. I don't know maybe I'm getting old

Yeah, you're right about that. you are getting old. You old fuddy duddy. Old fart.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

Yeah, you're right about that. you are getting old. You old fuddy duddy. Old fart.

FEBREEZE!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to BigSensFan

MVM

to BigSensFan
The only complaint about Henry Cavill ... the chest hair sticking out from the neckline of his Superman costume.
DROVE ME POSITIVELY NUTS seeing that in every scene with him in the Superman costume and whispering
to myself, "please no excessive chest hair, please no excessive chest hair."

Also agree this screamed for the line we know and love Zod for.

Regards
PaulMemoli
join:2013-06-16

PaulMemoli to Fir_Na_Tine

to Fir_Na_Tine

Re: Man of Steel Reviews all omit mention of TV show SMALLVILLE

I'm 60 years old and I enjoyed the reboot of Superman very much. My one criticism is that it was too damn LOUD! I also saw this specific complaint in film reviews from newspapers thru-out the country (USA), so it wasn't just that the theater I saw it in needed to adjust the volume control...

Most reviews talk about the Christopher Reeve Superman films. the 2006 film Superman Returns and then the new: Man of Steel, totally neglecting the 10 years of SMALLVILLE which already presented a "rebooted" Superman and did it very well.
I think that the success of SMALLVILLE is one reason that so many people have already seen Man of Steel. The tv show kept the character alive and made him relevant to people today.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan

Re: Man of Steel Reviews

Just got back from seeing this in 3D and loved it,so did my gf.

9.5/10

I loved how different it was from the other Superman series/movies.

I kept seeing Agent Nelson Van Alden as Zod though.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I thought the movie was well done for the most part but I have two qualms about it.

1 - It tried to be too many different genres and didn't define itself well as any (action, sci-fi, origin, superhero, alien invasion)

2 - Superman -- I am glad he's not the nerdy dofus we saw in the Christopher Reeve's version and more realistic but that we had enough "brooding" with Batman. And with all the other super hero movies out the past few years I was hoping to see a stoic and boy-scout'esque Superman.

3 - Russel Crowe as Jor'el was phenomenal ... best performance in the movie by far.

4 - Zod ... I love how he started out. A man whose mission is to protect (save) Krypton and its people. Sure, he was often at odds with Jor'el but they both saw the impending doom of the civilization and each took a different way of trying to save it. Honestly, this could be a full movie in its own right -- one I'd gladly go and see.

That said, the major mistake with Zod is the 'genetic superiority' nonsense. Yes, it could be an underlying factor that those paying attention could pick out. Or if they did a Prequel it could even be a subtheme of his personality. The genetic line superiority theme however was not needed in Man of Steel. Without it, and with just a little more time on the development of the character -- he is a villain people could relate to and that would have made his later scenes all the more powerful.

28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned) to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
I didn't understand why Superman lost his powers with Kryptonian air yet Zod and company had breathers on with Kryptonian air and still had powers. On Krypton with Kryptonian air they were mortal so they should have either been mortal with breathers on or had no breathers to have powers.

Aside from that MAJOR flaw it wasn't a bad movie.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I thought it was great.

The Krypton scenes were amazing.

Yes, we all know that Supes, as a rule, doesn't kill. But Clark was just becoming Superman in this movie. Him having to kill Zod (and obviously being torn up about it) may be the reason he decides never to kill in the future.

The civilian body count in this movie was huge. Building after building falling over. I was kind of surprised to see that in a Superman movie.

I also thought it was odd that they spilled Clark's altar ego to Lois and wonder how the whole world doesn't already know. I mean Zod and co. attacked the Kent house in Smallville, for crying out loud. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. While we're on that subject...one does not simply walk into a major newspaper and get a job as a reporter with no education or experience. I know that's a nitpick but still.

Still, I absolutely loved it and thought it was one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to 28727686

Premium Member

to 28727686
Wow ,you guys sure do nitpick..........why try and dissect everything ..............?

It was an original concept and came out fantastic.
28727686 (banned)

28727686 (banned)

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Wow ,you guys sure do nitpick..........why try and dissect everything ..............?

It was an original concept and came out fantastic.

A few basics needs are required to have a decent movie. If you had normal humans on Mars without any breathing device that's a red flag as it can't happen. The same with this movie. The foundation was set long ago and it's not hard to follow the basics. They tossed them out the window and even made them into a joke. One set of rules for Superman and another for other Kryptonians. Why?!?!?!

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to 28727686

Premium Member

to 28727686
said by 28727686:

I didn't understand why Superman lost his powers with Kryptonian air yet Zod and company had breathers on with Kryptonian air and still had powers. On Krypton with Kryptonian air they were mortal so they should have either been mortal with breathers on or had no breathers to have powers.

the whole atmosphere in the ship could have been radiation free.. Supes and all kryptonians get their powers from the radiation from the Sun. Being as they were in a long range ship, I would suspect that they protected themselves from the effects of space radiation

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to 28727686

Premium Member

to 28727686
said by 28727686:

Breathers had nothign to do with it. It's not the air, it's the radiation from the sun that affects their powers.

The lack of a breather affected Superman because he wasn't used to the Kryptonian environment. He felt weaker since his body didn't have time to adapt to it. Presumably because the ship's environment simulated radiation from a red sun.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

you might want to add a spoiler tag (and I already said the same thing in the post above yours)

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Oh yeah... Sorry. I just figured that since this is a Man of Steel Reviews thread, that nobody in here would be reading it if they hadn't seen the movie and didn't want spoilers.
28727686 (banned)

28727686 (banned) to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
The fact that they are ALL the same yet Superman behaves differently then the rest was the issue. Call it the breathers, the sun, or just bad writers but it's still a MAJOR flaw in the film. I don't know how anyone can explain away how Kryptonian A gets weak while Kryptonian B gets strong under the same circumstances.

28727686 (banned) to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
FYI: Lois changed the atmosphere from Kryptonian to Earth in the ship nothing else yet Superman went from weak to strong. The sun really has nothing to do with it per this movie. Explain away!

28727686 (banned) to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Or how about when he's trying to destroy the terraformer and gets into a pocket of Kryptonian air and loses his powers until he's back in Earth's air. The Kryptonian's don't have anything but the ability to fly and super strength until they breath Earth's air either. It was a valiant effort on a 'reboot' but just didn't follow the basics for Superman.