join:2012-07-19
Phoenix, AZ

azmike5 to fparker

to fparker

Re: [Voip.ms] Canadian SMS Support

said by fparker:

What does this mean?

From the Voip.ms website:
With the VoIP.ms API, you can easily integrate VoIP.ms functionality on your website, intranet, extranet or customer portal.

The VoIP.ms API provides the basic functions needed to manage, purchase and cancel DID numbers, create and edit sub-accounts, consult CDR, balance and much more.

And now send SMS's.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

said by azmike5:

With the VoIP.ms API,

I'd like a click-to-call thingy I can insert on a web page without any backend server requirements... is that possible?

OE
azmike5
Phoenix, AZ

azmike5

said by OzarkEdge:

...without any backend server requirements...

Not that I'm aware of, but certainly not my area of expertise.
drivel
join:2013-07-12
Santa Clara, CA

2 edits

drivel to azmike5

to azmike5
said by OzarkEdge:

said by azmike5:

With the VoIP.ms API,

I'd like a click-to-call thingy I can insert on a web page without any backend server requirements... is that possible?

OE

Not with the current API.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

Their portal has a list of things they are working on... click-to-call is listed among a bunch of other goodies like centralized voicemail.

OE
drivel
Santa Clara, CA

2 edits

drivel

said by OzarkEdge:

Their portal has a list of things they are working on... click-to-call is listed among a bunch of other goodies like centralized voicemail.

OE

I am not aware on anything on the "In Development or Testing" list they have completed in the past year.

The latest new features relating to SMS messages were never on the "In Development or Testing" list and are not listed on the "Latest Completed Suggestions and Requests" list.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by drivel:

I am not aware on anything that is on the "In Development or Testing" list that they have completed in the past year. The latest new features added relating to SMS messages were never on the "In Development or Testing" list.

And there have been similar review comments to the same affect. As I recall from their own website, they have a history of startup, sell off, and move on; so maybe they will do the same with voip.ms. Meanwhile, as they say in the Ozarks, 'Show Me'.

OE

Beakster
@rogers.com

Beakster

Anon

Hi,

Is there an Android App for sending and receiving SMS yet? I am planning to write one if not. I'd like one which looks like a normal SMS app but uses the API and send and receive via SMS.

I am trying to replace my mobile phone service with data only but the SMS is still an issue. Example, I add my cell number to facebook and they send an SMS to confirm the number, but the SMS is never received via Voip.sms and I am also having issues with international SMS.
drivel
Santa Clara, CA

drivel

said by Beakster :

I am trying to replace my mobile phone service with data only but the SMS is still an issue. Example, I add my cell number to facebook and they send an SMS to confirm the number, but the SMS is never received via Voip.sms and I am also having issues with international SMS.

My non-cell phone DIDs on voip.ms have never been able to receive SMS messages.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by drivel:

My non-cell phone DIDs on voip.ms have never been able to receive SMS messages.

Do you mean all of your DIDs on VoIP.ms?

OE
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to drivel

to drivel
You should open tickets for the DIDs that don't work. I had problems with some of them (actually the DID I ported from my cell phone wasn't working), opened a couple of tickets and everything got fixed after a few weeks. Now every DID I have works with SMS.
tony49122
join:2006-06-02
Burnaby, BC

tony49122 to StaticJitter

to StaticJitter
Re: LNP voip.ms to voip.ms to move number to carrier that supports SMS. I checked with voip.ms and my Canada-west number (Vancouver) wasn't on a carrier that supports SMS but could be ported to one that did. So I opted for the $10 internal port. So I keep the same DID number but now should be able to receive SMS. I figure with the money I've saved with voip.ms over the years I'm still way ahead of the game. I put the order in (via a support ticket) 3 days ago and awaiting porting.

Thanks everyone for posting re: sms. I wouldn't have know it was already available with voip.ms in Canada.
tony49122

1 edit

tony49122

It's done. I requested an internal port of my voip.ms number to one of their carriers that offered sms. So as of today my DID number accepts sms. $10 to port. Time to port was 10 days from the day the order was submitted. It was easy, no paperwork like when porting from another carrier to voip.ms. I try to give out just one phone number and now can people send me texts.

A smartphone app to reply would be great to retain the same DID number for outgoing texts. Right now if I reply, the recipient sees my cell number. I'm trying to wean people off my cell number.
azmike5
Phoenix, AZ

azmike5

said by tony49122:

A smartphone app to reply would be great to retain the same DID number for outgoing texts

It's not a smartphone app but the next best thing is the "mobile friendly" website »sms.voip.ms. This will allow you to retain your DID and not expose your cell #.