Search similar:

uniqs

zzzzzzzzzzzz
@rriedeverafter.com

zzzzzzzzzzzz to ipcw

Anon

to ipcw

Re: [Voip.ms] Canadian SMS Support

I am a bit clueless about sms. I use it with my cellphone to text a few relatives via the cellphone's keypad, and I can send an email to my relative's number@bell.text.ca and she receives it on her cellphone and/or her computer's email address - she has some kind of 'plan'.

If my Canadian DID with voip.ms becomes enabled for sms, does that mean that someone can then send me an email at number@toronto1.voip.ms and it will show up here on my computer as an email message?
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by zzzzzzzzzzzz :

If my Canadian DID with voip.ms becomes enabled for sms, does that mean that someone can then send me an email at number@toronto1.voip.ms and it will show up here on my computer as an email message?

No. It means that someone can send a text to your phone number and it will show up as an email, at least that is how it works on my Anveo account.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to MartinM

to MartinM
Hi MartinM,
Any info on SMS

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to grand total

Premium Member

to grand total
said by grand total:

said by zzzzzzzzzzzz :

No. It means that someone can send a text to your phone number and it will show up as an email, at least that is how it works on my Anveo account.

Actually, to be a bit more specific ... you have three options for receiving texts when someone sends a text to your VoIP.ms phone number (not your email address). The end result depends on your settings at the bottom of the Edit DID Settings page ... which you reach thru the Manage DIDs option under the DID Numbers tab on the main page.

1) If you provide only your cell phone number ... and check the box ... at the bottom of the page in the SMS section, incoming texts will go only to your cell phone.

2) If you provide only your personal email address (not a voip.ms address) ... and check the box ... at the bottom of the SMS section, incoming texts will arrive only as email.

3) If you provide both your cell phone number and your personal email address at the bottom of the page ... and check both boxes ... in the SMS section, incoming texts will go to your cell phone and your incoming email box.

Colgate
@rogers.com

Colgate to zzzzzzzzzzzz

Anon

to zzzzzzzzzzzz
said by zzzzzzzzzzzz :

I am a bit clueless about sms.

What voip.ms is about to implement is to enable SMS functionality in general, so that you can receive SMS on your Canadian DID. Currently if someone sends you SMS it bounces back saying that destination is a landline and cannot receive SMS.

This is primarily done for people who cannot differentiate between cell and home numbers. For example, I just had an argument with a family member who was trying to text my voip.ms DID on Christmas and had all messages bounce back.

I can send an email to my relative's number@bell.text.ca and she receives it on her cellphone and/or her computer's email address

This is totally different. You are talking about SMS-to-email feature on a cellphone. It enables people sending/receiving email messages through SMS. It can be useful when people are away from their computer and need to respond urgently without having to look for internet access. Otherwise they could send an email in a usual normal way.

she has some kind of 'plan'

Every cellphone has an email address whether you subscribe to SMS plan or not.

No. This means people can text you as if your voip.ms DID is a cellphone. Simple as that. If people wanted to email you, they can do so by using your personal email address directly without having to involve voip.ms at all.
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987 to MartinM

to MartinM
happy new year MartinM! Is there an update for beta testers on this? Many thanks for adding voicemail mailbox options for ring groups, I have been using that recently!
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM

Premium Member

Beta tentative date: This next Tuesday (January 7th 2014)
chris12343
join:2013-12-30

chris12343

Martin, thanks for the good news.

I sent you an IM with a cell number I would like to port over, could you let me know if it can be ported to the SMS enabled CLEC?

Thanks.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM to StaticJitter

Premium Member

to StaticJitter
Canadian SMS is now live (On Beta enabled accounts)

If your Canadian number doesn't show up as SMS enabled, I can verify if it's portable to our SMS enabled carrier.

All feedback encouraged and welcome.
kenja00
join:2009-01-28

kenja00

Mine didn't show up as SMS enabled -- put in ticket...

Thanks MartinM! Been waiting for this day to come!
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

said by kenja00:

Mine didn't show up as SMS enabled -- put in ticket...

Thanks MartinM! Been waiting for this day to come!

Can you PM me the ticket #?
kenja00

kenja00

PM sent! Already heard back from your guys, they are checking with the LNP dept... Pretty quick response time!

StaticJitter
join:2010-04-14
Toronto, ON

StaticJitter to MartinM

to MartinM
SMS forwarding tested with my Voip.MS DID and Rogers cellphone and it's working perfectly Thanks a LOT!!!!!! I love you guys.

bbbbbbbbb
@206.248.136.x

bbbbbbbbb to MartinM

Anon

to MartinM
It works here sending and receiving to the sms portal. The email forwarding also works. Thanks, good to have it.
poker85
join:2011-10-05
Laval

poker85

it's working perfectly
Next step, configure it working with my iphone (data only) !!!
Thank You MartinM
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to StaticJitter

Premium Member

to StaticJitter
PM sent for me also as my main number isn't SMS enabled.

My guess is the carrier that serves a significant number of western Canada customers isn't supported. I hope SMS support can be brought to other carriers soon.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM to StaticJitter

Premium Member

to StaticJitter
We're checking for the West coverage. We've equipment in there but have not started porting numbers. We're verifying with our carrier if they can enable SMS in that region and I will provide an update shortly.
kenja00

kenja00 to decx

to decx
Yes, I got a note from support saying my number in Western Canada isn't currently supported 403-536-xxxx

Got an update that they are looking into it further...

Just realized -- I've been with VOIP.MS 5 years now!!! Keep up the good work!
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM to StaticJitter

Premium Member

to StaticJitter
Good news guys,

The new equipment we have in the West supports SMS and a good amount of rate centres.

Please allow us a few days to configure it and we'll offer porting deals as well as better rates on these RC's so that your numbers can support SMS if that's what you need.

Here's a list of portable rate centers that will be available (Please note not that we do not sell DID's on all of these RC"s, but we'll be able to port all of them)

LIR Rate Center
Calgary Acme
Calgary Airdrie
Calgary Beiseker
Calgary Blackie
Calgary Bragg Creek
Calgary Calgary
Calgary Carstairs
Calgary Cochrane
Calgary Cremona
Calgary Crossfield
Calgary High River
Calgary Irricana
Calgary Langdon
Calgary Longview
Calgary Morley
Calgary Okotoks
Calgary Strathmore
Calgary Turner Valley
Edmonton Edmonton
Grande Prairie Beaverlodge
Grande Prairie Clairmont
Grande Prairie Debolt
Grande Prairie Grande Prairie
Grande Prairie Hythe
Grande Prairie Rycroft
Grande Prairie Sexsmith
Grande Prairie Wembley
Grande Prairie Woking
Lethbridge Barons
Lethbridge Cardston
Lethbridge Carmangay
Lethbridge Coaldale
Lethbridge Enchant
Lethbridge Fort MacLeod
Lethbridge Glenwood
Lethbridge Iron Springs
Lethbridge Lethbridge
Lethbridge Magrath
Lethbridge New Dayton
Lethbridge Nobleford
Lethbridge Picture Butte
Lethbridge Raymond
Lethbridge Stand Off
Lethbridge Stirling
Lethbridge Taber
Lethbridge Wrentham
Medicine Hat Bow Island
Medicine Hat Elkwater
Medicine Hat Irvine
Medicine Hat Medicine Hat
Medicine Hat Ralston
Medicine Hat Schuler
Medicine Hat Seven Persons
Medicine Hat Walsh
Red Deer Alix
Red Deer Bentley
Red Deer Blackfalds
Red Deer Bowden
Red Deer Clive
Red Deer Delburne
Red Deer Eckville
Red Deer Elnora
Red Deer Innisfail
Red Deer Lacombe
Red Deer Leslieville
Red Deer Mirror
Red Deer Penhold
Red Deer Ponoka
Red Deer Red Deer
Red Deer Spruce View
Red Deer Sylvan Lake
Red Deer Torrin

Vancouver Aldergrove
Vancouver Bowen Island
Vancouver Cloverdale
Vancouver Fort Langley
Vancouver Haney
Vancouver Ladner
Vancouver Langley
Vancouver New Westminster
Vancouver Newton
Vancouver North Vancouver
Vancouver Pitt Meadows
Vancouver Port Coquitlam
Vancouver Port Moody
Vancouver Richmond
Vancouver Vancouver
Vancouver West Vancouver
Vancouver Whalley
Vancouver White Rock
Vancouver Whonnock

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

Cool, both of my Toronto numbers work in/out.
I like that I can forward inbound SMSs to email and if I reply to that email it sends back a SMS reply to the sender. To me that implementation is good enough for using a smartphone.
One question please: the portal says the SMS service is free until 2014 and we're already in 2014. When do you expect to start charging for the service and how much do you think it will cost ?
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

said by toro:

Cool, both of my Toronto numbers work in/out.
I like that I can forward inbound SMSs to email and if I reply to that email it sends back a SMS reply to the sender. To me that implementation is good enough for using a smartphone.
One question please: the portal says the SMS service is free until 2014 and we're already in 2014. When do you expect to start charging for the service and how much do you think it will cost ?

We're extending the free period to April 1st 2014. We still at the moment have no answer the pricing. IF possible, we want to keep it free, but we're still working on that aspect and that's why there's no clear indication yet on the website. But rest assured, if there's a charge it will be something very reasonable that nobody should have issue with.
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to MartinM

to MartinM
work on wind mobile ....but i seem to be getting the first test message every 5 minutes now

edit: SMS was sent from the voip.ms portal to my wind mobile phone.
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker to MartinM

to MartinM
If we save the email address of sender for future use, can we use that email address to send sms instead of going through the voip.ms sms portal?
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
So for users with western DIDs in the listed rate centres should we submit a ticket to get moved to the other carrier or is there some other process?
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

said by decx:

So for users with western DIDs in the listed rate centres should we submit a ticket to get moved to the other carrier or is there some other process?

We're still working on the logistics but we'll let you know ASAP.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

Excellent, thanks!
stgraber
join:2012-02-07
Montreal, QC

1 edit

stgraber to MartinM

to MartinM
Thanks a lot for that, I've been waiting for this feature for years!

I just gave it a try and the few obvious limitations I've found so far:
- Non-ASCII characters triggers an error and block sending an SMS (sort of annoying when like me your name contains accented characters...)
- PDU Mode SMS isn't supported. Receiving one results in multiple e-mails (one per SMS obviously) with the last one being repeated twice apparently. Sending one simply doesn't work with the message getting truncated at 160 chars.

But at least this works and I've got hope that once those two issues are resolved I'll be able to finally drop my SMS pack entirely and get back to a data-only plan for my phone.

Thanks!
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to MartinM

to MartinM
SMS between my Voip.ms DID's doesn't seem to work.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM to stgraber

Premium Member

to stgraber
Thanks for your reports guys, All these little issues will be ironed out before we phase out of beta. Thanks for the feedback.
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

Also is there a way to send a new SMS without logging into the voip.ms portal?

i have SMS going to my email on my android phone now i cant send an SMS unless someone sends me one.