Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
reply to Scilicet

Re: [F@H] SMP Startup Error

That message there about Gpu type=3 species=21 makes me think you have the gpu client not the cpu client. Any reason your not using version 7?

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

Thanks, but where is the correct client, such as version 7? It doesn't seem to be here: »folding.stanford.edu/English/Dow···WinOther

Opps! Here it is

»folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

They have gone "cute" and in the process made things far more complicated then they should be.

Current versions can't be downloaded from the download page (where one reasonably might expect them!). Instead the only official place to get current versions of Folding at Home is at the Homepage (go figure): »folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage .
Unfortunately their auto-detection javascript isn't compatible with all browsers (with no fallback provided). It also requires that you perform the download from the same computer you will be running it on (probably a common scenario, but not always possible).

Edit: looks like you managed to navigate the site successfully

mpiexec (from the message you got) was used in SMP versions of F@H until 2010 (SMP1). It is not being used in any newer versions.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1

Ok! So, version 7 is running the a4 core on all 6 of my AMD 6 core processor, but at about 50%. I can't find any log files, an interface, or anything. Is this normal?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Only if there is something else running that is taking up the remaining cpu power. The F@H client is running at idle priority meaning that it will yield the cpu to any other tasks requiring cpu power.

Taskmanager should show all 6 cpus at near 100% utilization.

I only tried the windows version of fah7 once and quickly gave up in frustration. It was impossible to start the fahcontrol gui (no errors or any response at all, it just would never start regardless how I tried). There was a basic browser based interface but that didn't allow any kind of configuration (despite the name webcontrol). It is supposed to allow setting the username and teamnumber (as well as passkey if used) but I'm not sure now whether that worked or not. The entire web interface was very sluggish and when it responded at all, it was extremely slow. It took more then 30 seconds just to load on a server with 16 cpu cores and 128GB of memory running 64 bit windows server 2008 R2 (enterprise or datacenter).

I finally managed to setup at least username and teamnumber by running fahclient from the command line but even there the options were greatly reduced from what used to be available in previous versions (the -config option no longer prompts to setup a proxy server which was the final hurdle for me). It probably would have worked by manually editing the config.xml file but it was easier to just install boinc and run R@H instead.

On Linux I did get F@H 7 to run (including the fahcontrol gui).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!