Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hel
Goddess Of My Own Little Universe
Premium
join:2002-04-11
Washington, DC

Reccomend me a new router that runs ddwrt or similar?

I just moved, and got RCN 50/6 broadband. And my trusty old wrt54g v2.2 running ddwrt won't give me better than 10/6. I've been told it's because it's just too old and can't handle that much data. So, I apparently need to buy a new router.

However, I LOVED the control ddwrt gave me (QoS and prioritizing traffic by type are LOVE), and will want to be able to put ddwrt or similar on any new router. Ideally, I'd like something I can get for about $50, tho I could go as high as $100 if I had to, but it would hurt. I'm fine with buying online, tho I've also got a Microcenter pretty close by. I don't currently have any wireless N devices, so I don't care if the router does N or not. I've had lots of good experiences with linksys hardware, and crappy ones with belkin and dlink, but I also haven't had a new router in like 5 years, so I'm willing to accept that a company might be better or worse than my perception of them.

So, recommendations? Thanks!
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross."-Sinclair Lewis 1885-1951

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15

1 edit

1 recommendation

I don't have a specific recommendation for a router, but I will recommend that you find one that also supports Tomato!

I use both dd-wrt and tomato, because neither solves every problem. But more importantly, I've found over the past few years the quality of dd-wrt has been seriously slipping, w/ one problem after another w/ even the most common features, and it never seems to get better. I'm seeing regressions in the area of PPTP (esp. client), OpenVPN, SSH, NAT loopback, etc.

I switched over to Tomato (currently using Shibby) about three years ago and have never looked back. It just plain works better imo. And what few issues do arise seem to get fixed quickly as well. Yet I still use dd-wrt for certain things, like repeater mode.

P.S. I also only buy routers w/ USB support so I always have the option to add features via Optware, or even replace an existing service that doesn't work correctly, or to my liking.

JMTC

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to Hel

FWIW, I think this is the best router you can get for under $100.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320062
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to Hel

I've used both of these at various times and do believe they have what you are looking for. IMHO they are very solid and I've seen the prices much less than what is currently on Newegg.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33704144
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33704136

Be cautious with the ASUS, I heard that it had some heat/stability issues.

You may also want to look around here for more research and reports. »www.smallnetbuilder.com/

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

You can build a pfsense box for under 100 and will do far more than any consumer grade one you can buy. Use a seperate AP for proper wireless.

Hel
Premium
Washington, DC

I'm really not looking to spend that much time or money. Installing ddwrt took about half an hour, if I recall correctly (it's been at least 4 years.) Microcenter has some refurbished models that ddwrt will run on for like $20. $20 and half an hour is really an ideal price and time investment for me right now. But I'll keep it in mind for down the road!
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross."-Sinclair Lewis 1885-1951

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

I did my main pfsense for ~25. An old P4 with a dual port intel card from ebay. Way overkill for a 50x5 biz cable but it out performs any other router you can buy for under 50 by far.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

I did my main pfsense for ~25. An old P4 with a dual port intel card from ebay. Way overkill for a 50x5 biz cable but it out performs any other router you can buy for under 50 by far.

Hel
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to rustydusty

Yeah, but I haven't got any spare computers lying around, as I tend to throw linux on them and give them to family members. And I certainly don't have any parts to build a computer that'd be as small as a router. I'm sure there's simple ways to turn a rasberry pi into a powerful wireless router, but again, that runs into my not wanting to spend more than about half an hour, an hour tops.

Added to that I've got house guests coming in Tuesday night, and I'd REALLY like my wireless to have some more bandwidth before I put more people on it! So I'm looking for something I can pick up at a B&M store tomorrow afternoon and set up while my husband makes dinner. A refurb router running ddwrt or tomato (probably ddwrt since I'm already familiar with it) fits the price&time&acquisition specs perfectly.

Since several people upthread recommended tp-link brand, and microcenter has a cheap tp-link model that runs ddwrt for $20 (Or $16 if I go for open box) that's likely what I'll get. I'll upgrade it to something more robust later this year, when I'm done unpacking and have more time, and when we're not paying the last bills for everything at the old place and the first bills for everything at the new place, and have more money.
--

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

I used to be the same. Finally buckled, spend the whopping ~25 shipped intel nic on ebay, proper AP with injectors and all my problems went away. Everything runs on a nice UPS and I haven't touched a thing in months. Getting good 300FT range out of my DAP-2553 with beta firmware as well. Stock firmware is crap to say the least.

Spend the money where it counts, end up spending less in the long run. Current setup has been going a year without a hickup, don't plan on any changes for another 2 years.

FYI, takes under an hour to install pfsense for someone not sure what to do. Best hour you could ever invest into hardware.

Hel
Premium
Washington, DC

Yeah, but like I said, I haven't got any spare computers lying around, nor parts enough to build one, so it'd cost me more than just a nic. And even if installing pfsense takes less than an hour, building the box, if I had the money to buy a computer's worth of parts, would add time too.

And I'd prefer something in a paperback book sized footprint, that ideally can be wall mounted. Something raspberry pi based may well become my long term solution, but I need a working solution tomorrow. Well, today really, as it's after midnight here.

My wrt54g with ddwrt on it ran without any issues for years. It just apparently can't handle 50 down, tho it's been perfectly stable at the 10 down it'll give me. So I expect a $20 wireless N router with ddwrt will last me the few months I'm looking for right now. When I'm ready to implement a long term solution, the commenters upthread gave me some good hardware recs, and I'll look into pfsense if I decide to build my own instead of just throw new firmware on an off the shelf router.
--

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

If you want small and compact, these work great and will run pfsense with ease. Still, much more powerful than any consumer grade router and plenty more features.

A few different Alix models. I would recommend this over a raspberry pi anyday.

»www.xagyl.com/store_ca/product.p···=&page=1

Hel
Premium
Washington, DC

Cool, thanks!

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

Welcome to the world of fun gadgets that will out perform and out last a consumer router .

Hel
Premium
Washington, DC

I'll come back in 5 years and however many months, and let you know if it did outlast my wrt54g

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Hel

The original netgate pfsense box I put in at a clients has been rocking from 5 years without one issue. Well, besides being the slickest and cheapest firewall solution you can get.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13
reply to Hel

Did you hear about / check out the Ubiquti Edgemax?

Doesn't do wireless, but a helluva powerhouse router for $100USD.

Regards

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by HELLFIRE:

Did you hear about / check out the Ubiquti Edgemax?

Doesn't do wireless, but a helluva powerhouse router for $100USD.

Regards

I ended up going this way. To get this kind of performance out of a pfsense box, you would need two PCIe Gigabit Intel NICs on a motherboard that has at least two PCIe slots and a pretty considerable CPU. If you don't have that already that cost will add up...

I wanted to use pfsense but I:

- didn't have the room
- didn't have a new enough spare computer
- didn't have two Intel PCIe gigabit NICs, or even just their old 10/100 NICs
- wanted less noise
- wanted less power consumption

The EdgeRouter Lite is just as configurable (it runs Debian). It may be a bit daunting because it's shipped in a blank state, but there's a sample SOHO configuration on their forums to get you up and running in a few clicks.

Oh and incidentally it is about the size of a book and it can be wall-mounted.

Also - the Raspberry Pi is a fun little thing to play with and it has its uses but a router is not one of them. The "B" model has a single Ethernet port that's attached to the CPU via USB. To get data out you'd have to either use a USB wireless adapter or a USB-Ethernet adapter on a USB port. This won't perform very well at all...
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)