how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sweetseater

join:2013-06-15
Fairfax, CA

[Connectivity] Plugging network cable in causes Modem to lose co

I recently had my home wired so I can use a cable instead of wireless. I tested all connections and all 8 cables on the RJ-45 with a cable tester.

I have my Comcast HSI modem plugged into to an Airport Extreme. I have the Airport Extreme plugged in to a Monoprice 8-port GB switch. I have one of the ports in the switch run to a cable to another jack and I have a network cable plugged into the other end of that jack which reaches my MacBook Pro.

When I plug in this cable to my MBP I lose Internet access at the Cable Modem. I run Airport Utility and it shows that the Internet is unavailable and when I look at the modem the US (Upstream?) light is flashing. When I remove power and battery to the modem it resets and works fine.

Any recommendations on where the issue may be or how to troubleshoot? If I plug in to other wired jacks in the house it is not an issue.

Also, is there a way to login to the Cable modem and instruct it to restart via a web interface?

Thanks.

- Elan

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Re: [Connectivity] Plugging network cable in causes Modem to los

anytime you change the device connected to the modem the modem needs to be power cycled (reboot).

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by jaynick:

anytime you change the device connected to the modem the modem needs to be power cycled (reboot).

As a good practice, I would agree.

In this case, this looks like a finicky modem that doesn't like distribution. I have a modem/router & two 5-port switches. I can plug any of my devices into the switches & normally get an IP. The only possibility I have encountered is the device won't connect to the internet, but never will my entire connection go down. The OP's modem shouldn't normally have this issue because the associated MAC address is from the Airport Extreme which remains connected & powered.

I think from the OP's statement: "When I remove power and battery to the modem it resets and works fine." Looks like another "Gateway/modem" or "emta" issue.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to sweetseater
wow now the dp disappeared. Something weird going on. Anyhow yea most modems can be reset from the interface at 192.168.100.1 but with your problem i doubt it works. He doesnt mention what modem he has but yea with some a ip conflict shuts them down.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to Johkal
Shouldnt it technically be worded the switch into the airport instead of the airport into the switch?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
said by rody_44:

Shouldnt it technically be worded the switch into the airport instead of the airport into the switch?

Reading the OP's wording & not correcting it, I knew what they meant from the modem to Airport verbiage.

Ref: "I have my Comcast HSI modem plugged into to an Airport Extreme."
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
I took the op to mean he was plugging in his MacBook directly to his modem, now that I reread it, I see the distribution issue. I see your point.
Also the op never described the modem.