Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

I have a workaround for outlook.com because I have Office Professional 2010 which includes the Office program, Outlook; that serves as an e-mail client for outlook.com without using the resource-hogging website. For most people, though, that's impractical unless they have another e-mail app that will work with outlook.com; Outlook is not included in the reasonably priced versions of the Office suite.

Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good: Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:
»www.hushmail.com/services/
Expand your moderator at work

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to runnoft

Premium Member

to runnoft

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

said by runnoft:

I have a workaround for outlook.com because I have Office Professional 2010 which includes the Office program, Outlook; that serves as an e-mail client for outlook.com without using the resource-hogging website. For most people, though, that's impractical unless they have another e-mail app that will work with outlook.com; Outlook is not included in the reasonably priced versions of the Office suite.

Yes, but as I see it, the whole point of having a WebMail account is to USE it as WebMail, so tying it to an app, even to a free one such as T-Bird, tends to defeat that objective, except for doing occasional offline retrieval and backup.
said by runnoft:

Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good: Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:

I have heard of Hush Mail somewhere in the past. - Must review. - Thanks.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere to runnoft

Premium Member

to runnoft

What Else IS There ?

said by runnoft:

....Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good :

Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:

During review of this useful current thread, I saw your link for HushMail again and decided to check them out too.

Observations :

I have started a new thread to discuss those, as well as for any OTHER WebMail alternatives which anyone wishes to add.

»Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons