how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AZSD

join:2011-09-05
Scottsdale, AZ

[CA] Cox Essential HSI in San Diego

I am a part time/seasonal resident of San Diego. For many years I used to have basic $10/month DSL with AT&T that was 768 kilobits per second download and 128 kbps upload. It was so cheap that I never bothered to disconnect and reconnect. When the plan increased to $20 per month and the connection speed started to frustrate me, especially watching YouTube videos, I cancelled at the end of my seasonal visit last summer.

I will in town again soon and would like to know what you all think of Cox Essential HSI Internet Service? I am in an older apartment building that provides Cox Cable Television to all units. About 10 years ago, I had a Cox technician come out to somehow bring the RG6 coaxial cable line for the cable TV from upstairs to downstairs so I could connect a television downstairs and when he connected his electronic instrument to the line, he mentioned something to the effect of me being on the border line as far as being able to receive a good high speed internet connection. I assume that I will have to use a splitter downstairs to run both high speed internet and cable TV, correct? How will that impact the connection speed and the cable TV signal? Does the number of people in the same building and nearby using Cox HSI affect the connection? I know my immediate neighbor has Cox and the guy across the walk path in the building opposite has two computers in the same room and is on the internet the entire day.

Will Cox Essential be adequate for me speed wise? I primarily read news on the internet, send/receive lots of email and watch YouTube videos. No gaming, Netflix or downloading.

Am I going to need professional installation or will a brand new splitter and Motorola Surfboard SB5101 modem be ok?

I hope Cox is easy to deal with as far as canceling and re-starting service 8 months later.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
essential internet will be fine for what you need, but based on the info you gave about signal quality it might be in the best interest to have a pro install to check everything and if they see a problem a lot of time they can correct it while there.

if by chance the internal wiring is bad you may have to get a new outlet installed were they run a line from the dmark outside through the wall into the room you need the equipment set up

Ameth

join:2011-07-20
reply to AZSD
You may want to take a look at this page

»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies/speedsusage.cox

Also you may want to ask the Cox agent about seasonal saver for when you are away.

AZSD

join:2011-09-05
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to AZSD
Cox doesn't have a seasonal saver available in California to where I can put the service on hold for $7.95 per month. I went on their website and I found very little difference between self installation and professional installation, except for the phrase "Install coaxial cable to the computer's location." Does this mean that if the existing coax cable line that runs the tv is too weak that the technician will install a separate coax line dedicated to HSI for me for free?

Also, since I plan to cancel the service after two months, will I be able to start new service again with Cox next year using the same modem?

AZSD1

@cox.net
reply to m8trix
Cox doesn't have a seasonal saver available in California to where I can put the service on hold for $7.95 per month. I went on their website and I found very little difference between self installation and professional installation, except for the phrase "Install coaxial cable to the computer's location." Does this mean that if the existing coax cable line that runs the tv is too weak that the technician will install a separate coax line dedicated to HSI for me for free?

Also, since I plan to cancel the service after two months, will I be able to start new service again with Cox next year using the same modem?

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to AZSD
What you might want to do is buy a modem you can return, hook it up to the outlet in the room you will be installing it, connect a laptop to it and bring up 192.168.100.1. Not only will that show you if the modem will come online at the location, but it will show you the signal levels in general, that way you know if the signal is borderline enough to cause problems down the road. All this before you even order service. Also, if it does seem low, and you would like it improved, mention that when you talk to the Sales person. Apartment buildings are tricky, I live in one, so it would be impossible to predict.

As for speed, yea I think it should be enough for 480(SD) video, as long as your the only one using it. As for moving and coming back, it depends on what the technician does to disconnect you. Some put filters on, some put terminators on, so just unscrew the wire..I even once called to cancel service before going away for the summer, and the cable never went off. What ever they do has to be undone when you come back, so keep that in mind.

Oh, and here is a good modem. I assume you will be buying it new? If not make sure you know who had it last, and there might be problems getting it on your account. Just a heads up

»www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-SURF···14224135