psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Signs of low grill propane

said by IowaCowboy:

What are the signs that a 20 lb propane tank on a Weber grill is about to run out.

They weigh close to 20 #
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by psafux:

said by IowaCowboy:

What are the signs that a 20 lb propane tank on a Weber grill is about to run out.

They weigh close to 20 #

Actually the "20lb" is the capacity of the tank, in other words the NET weight of the propane when full.

Empty tank will weight less than 20lb. Typically around 16-18lb.

So a full tank will be about 36-38lb (GROSS weight).

The weight of the empty tank is usually stamped somewhere on the tank, with the letters "TARE" or "TW" (tare weight).

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

said by TheMG:

Actually the "20lb" is the capacity of the tank, in other words the NET weight of the propane when full.

Yes. Every 20# tank I've run across has had a tare weight of 18lbs. Except the one time a guy brought a fiberglass tank to have filled, but I believe that all of those have now been recalled.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by UHF:

said by TheMG:

Yes. Every 20# tank I've run across has had a tare weight of 18lbs. Except the one time a guy brought a fiberglass tank to have filled, but I believe that all of those have now been recalled.

One thing I've come across is the exchange services (Blue Rhino/Amerigas) have downsized the amount of propane they put in the exchange cylinders that you find outside of your typical home center or supermarket from the full 17.5 lbs to 15 lbs. A 20 lb cylinder is designed to hold 17.5 lbs as they are intended to be filled to 80 percent of their capacity. Also places that do flat rate fills also shortchange you on propane.

Best bet is to find a dealer that fills your tank and charges by the gallon. I have two cylinders and I bought them empty (one at Home Depot and one at Lowe's), had them purged and filled. I have the same cylinders that I have since I bought my first gas grill. I have them filled at BJ's since I get member pricing and they charge by the gallon so I don't get charged full price for a partial fill.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin

Mod

That is totally incorrect. A 20 pound tank is designed to hold approximately 20 pounds of propane when it is 80% full.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Yes heat and flame output will slowly diminish when getting near empty.

My Weber has a simple spring hanging scale built in but it gives me only a estimate. When it is near the empty mark, I pick it up and guess the amount by feeling the weight myself. I have a couple of spare tanks on hand, so I just change them out when I think they feel empty. I pay by the gallon so it doesn't matter if they aren't completely empty.

As for the post about the smell getting stronger, mine doesn't have any strong smells when near empty. So I am not sure what that is about.