Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BunnYwood
Premium
join:2002-06-19
Sioux City, IA

Video card advice wanted

I want to get a better video card but there are too many details for my brain to sort out. Right now graphics is my weakest link and I have run into problems running some video or pages with lots of gifs. Could someone advise me on a card that will definitely work for my system? I don't need the best just something better enough to be worth the cost. I'd like to be able to run 2 monitors or a monitor & tv, but I haven't done it yet so maybe I'll never get around to it. But as long as I could..

PC Wizard 2012 Version 2.11
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Saturday 15 June 2013 at 12:34
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------
>>
> Mainboard : Asus M3A78-EM
> Chipset : AMD 780G
> Processor : AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition @ 2600 MHz
> Physical Memory : 8192 MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EACS-00D6B0 ATA Device (1000GB)
> Hard Disk : WD 10EACS External (1000GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI iHAP122 8
> Monitor Type : Asus ASUS VH242H - 23 inches
> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
> Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2 (32-bit)
> DirectX : Version 11.00
> Windows Performance Index : 4.0 on 5.9
***** End of report *****

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
You have a PCIe 2.0 slot, so anything modern will work.

What's your budget? A Radeon 7770 or GT 650 would do well.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
under $200. I could spend more if I needed to, but wouldn't really like it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Get a Radeon 7850 2GB then. Nice roomy vram so you won't be maxed out before you upgrade in another 4-5 years.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
Hopefully this shows up. Looking at these 3 I see a couple questions.
Power supply requirements from 150W to over 500W, I don't see where to find that info on my machine without opening the case.
Does the OpenGL 4.2 matter.
DisplayPort: 1 x DisplayPort or 2 x Mini DisplayPort
DVI: 2 x DVI or 1 x DVI
Power Connector: 6 pin or 2x6 pin
You see why I asked, too many detail things that I'm not familiar with and don't know if they even matter for me. And thanks for taking the time to help.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Productco···24%24%24

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The 7850 requires 1 six-pin power connector. If your PSU has that, then you are golden.

You won't know what PSU is in your case unless you open it up. Is it a prebuilt? Is there a specific model number?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
The 6 pin narrows the list I had down to one and that one is the up to 150W so I'm good. Do you see anything on the ASUS Radeon HD 7850 HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2 Video Card that would cause any conflicts?
I guess now I just wait 24 hours to think if I really want to spend money (yes I do, just trying to keep a good habit for big purchases). And hopefully by this time next week everything will be running fast & clean.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
Ah, I see I will have to open up to make sure I have a PSU with a 6 pin. Later tonight I'll post the model of my power supply.

DDK65JAG

join:2009-06-09
Cambridge, MD
If you've got $200 burning a hole in your pocket, just upgrade with a new A8 Trinity processor & FM2 mobo .
That board your using is long in the tooth( I have one in a machine under my desk-sentimental value) & probably not worth a $200 video card.
Just get a Sapphire Radeon HD6570 should be $50. I just bought one & couldn't be happier. It idles at 39*C with fan at 15% and can't be heard over my CPU cooler than runs @ 50%.
It's on a 890 chipset w/HD4250 graphics & bumped WEI from 4.9 to 6.9( I know somewhat meaningless) but gives a comparison & the icing on the cake...It shouldn't need a PSU upgrade.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, ddk.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
reply to BunnYwood
I've got a Orion HP485D power supply. It has a 6pin for PCI so no worries there.
ddk, the Radeon HD6570 is out of stock at a couple places I checked. Would there be much difference b/w it and the Radeon 7770 Kris put in his initial reply? You're right in thinking that I'm just looking to improve what I have and don't need the best that will run.

DDK65JAG

Cambridge, MD
reply to BunnYwood
Probably a huge difference. The HD6570 is more like a good HTPC video card. That HD7770 is probably a good gaming card.
If you google 'reviews' or 'tests' of the card your interested in, you'll find several sites with in-depth (multi page) reviews.
All I was trying to say, is that there's no need to over spend for power or features you'll never use.

Good luck.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to BunnYwood
Graphics card may not be your bottleneck or cause for problems. Definitely not for pages with lots of gifs - this is 2D and more or less any graphics card is fast enough for this.

As far as videos go - may be the same case but you haven't told enough details. Playback for some video format can be accelerated by your graphics card.

Generally more expensive graphics card is to help with gaming (higher frame rate) or any other 3D application.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
reply to BunnYwood
Taking into account I don't have a 500W power supply that a couple of these need I'll be choosing between the GeForce GTX 650 »www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop···ications and the Radeon HD6570 »www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/···w.aspx#4
On www.videocardbenchmark.net they both rate so much higher than what I have I'm probably going to kick myself for not doing this sooner.
The GTX 650 looks like the better of the 2 so I'm leaning that way. Does anyone see anything that might be a conflict for my system in either of these?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BunnYwood
Bunny, do you really only want to spend $100 or do you really want to get the best card you can get for $200? That's the real question to ask here, not whether 15W difference will run the card or if there are conflicts.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
I want a better card than I have now. Conflicts mean something doesn't work. So that's bad. I don't have the knowledge base to run problems down, so even one problem is too many. And my power supply is rated 485W but the review on it on anandtech indicates I shouldn't ask it to do that much, so no pushing it on that unless I'm willing to replace that too. And spending less does mean my wallet will be full again sooner allowing me to get the next thing on my want list.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN

1 edit
reply to BunnYwood
Well, let's go through a couple things as I see them real quick.

Conflicts are largely a thing of the past. You don't have the most cutting edge tech in there, but it's not that old really.

Your PSU will run all the cards we are talking about here.

You have an AMD quad core processor and 8GB of RAM. I have an AMD X4 965 with 8GB and I run every new game out there on high at least, most on ultra. There again, I spent more than $100 on my video card.

People suggesting a graphics card may not be your bottleneck is absolutely ludicrous. Your integrated is on par with an FX5900 card. I remember people with FX5xxx cards literally not being able to get Oblivion to run back in 2006 (ie - your HD3200 sucks). Here, look:

»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam···7-7.html

So, is the $100 card better than your current? Sure. I bet I could find you a $50 card that's better. You had said $200 though and the card Kris originally recommended to you is hands-down the best solution. Why spend $200 instead of $100? Well, it's hell of a lot better card for one, and two, if you ever get yourself a new computer in a year, two three down the road the $200 card will pull right out and still be a nice card you can plug right in.

All in all, it really does just boil down to how much you want to spend.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to BunnYwood
I agree with Dissembled. Get either the Radeon 7770 or Radeon 7850 2GB. Both are powerful, efficient cards and the 7850 2GB will probably last you for at least 4-5 more years.

For a long term upgrade path, I would replace the GPU now.

When you have the money, upgrade your boot drive to a solid-state drive (SSD).

NEITHER of these upgrades are money wasted because both are backwards and forwards compatible with future systems.

At that point, you will have a very powerful GPU and a very fast boot drive. When you are ready to do a system refresh, transfer the GPU/SSD forward onto whatever new motherboard/CPU/ram combo you pick up (and probably buy a new power supply when you do).

That's the beauty of upgrading things yourself--money is rarely wasted as most system components are carried forward into a new build.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
reply to Dissembled
The tomshardware link really shows how bad my current card is: 27th tier. The 7850, 650, & 7770 are 7, 9, & 10 tier respectively so they are close enough to be equivalent for my uses. The GTX 650 is $110 at amazon but the important point is both the others want 500W PSU and I don't think mine would handle that.
And now I'm probably going to spend 10 minutes looking up what a SSD is instead of going to bed.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BunnYwood
Do yourself a favor and at least spend the $20 on the Ti card (it's 2 tiers better). Also, if you note in the same link I provided above, Tom's rates the 650Ti the best in it's price class.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14125447

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
I ordered the one you just linked to Dissembled. Now I anxiously wait until it arrives. Then I nearly panic as I plug something new in and hope I don't kill everything. Good times.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'll post one more time once it's in and running. If you don't hear from me by this time next week, oops!

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
reply to BunnYwood
It's in. But that has not fixed what has been a problem for me. Using PC Wizard to show the load; when I play Second Life my Core #1-4 Load are up between 40-60% and things slow down but my GFX Load is at 0%. So what appears to be my problem is that my graphics card isn't even getting the work I would expect it to be doing. Does that make sense? I expect certain things to get sent to the graphics card but aren't. That has to be a software issue somewhere right?

DDK65JAG

Cambridge, MD
Did you go into the BIOS & set it to GFXO(VGA out port on a graphics card connected into a PCIe x 16 slot)? If not that setting option is under the 'advanced' tab.

Good luck, DDK

BunnYwood
Premium
Sioux City, IA
I looked at the setting but it looks like it is already correct if I'm in the right place.
BIOS
Advanced
Chipset
Internal Graphics
Primary Video Controller [GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI]

Is that right or am I in the wrong place?

DDK65JAG

Cambridge, MD
reply to BunnYwood
Wish I could help more, but I never installed a graphics card on my board. That appears to be the correct setting, it's probably just the list the BIOS goes thru in order to chose a graphics processor. It seems to me your card isn't being recognized. Check
section 1.8.2 (config. an expansion card), pages 1-21 thru 1-23 of the manual talks about assigning an IRQ, it may be pertinent.
It's Greek to me. I'm assuming you installed the cards drivers.

Good luck, DDK

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to BunnYwood
I'm a little perplexed by the 0% usage, are you using the output on the video card or are you using the graphic output on your motherboard?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have