uniqs
share rss forum feed

cestolonio

join:2007-05-23
Los Angeles, CA

3 edits

MANY downstream "Uncorrectables"

Click for full size
Can someone tell me what these are? I've refreshed it 2 days ago to check how much I would get on a daily bases and this is what I have now.

The problem before which is resolved, was that my wireless connectivity was horrible and I KNEW it was the routers settings. Called up time warner, made threads, TWC kept assuring me my

"arris modem default settings are fine sir, no need to be changed"

but I just KNEW something was wrong because there were so many settings I've never seen before (new modem, had it for 2 weeks or so).
So then I decided to just make a public thread on this section earlier, and a few people have suggested what should be disabled and enabled after I told them about what settings my modem even had... Had I not tell them the settings, I bet nobody would've even knew.

BUT, the wireless connectivity has been great so far, a day of testing it straight for a while BUT I do get little lag spikes, delays ONCE in a while, but NOT as extreme as before.

[[[ Now about these "uncorrectables" I haven't ever seen this feature, don't know what it is exactly, I assume it's my wiring? (Which TWC also assured was OK.......)

Also, if anyone can tell me why the upstream says DOCSIS 2.0, but my modem status says it's version DOCSIS3, I would appreciate it. I don't know what it is exactly but I was told my modem should be up to date. ]]]

I don't know, not trying to be mean, but I feel like I get better help from other people than time warner employees themselves... I remember one day it took 3.... THREE techs to come in, and find out that my old modem's coax cable was on the wrong end of the splitters (TWC installed it.... just saying) so yeah, you get the idea.

Sorry for the wall of text, I appreciate any help or tips on how to make my set up perfect.

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

You have eight bonded downstream channels - so you are definitely using the DOCSIS 3.0 capabilities of your modem.

Your upstream is only one channel, which seems pretty normal from the posts I've read on this forum. I don't think I've read of anyone having bonded upstream channels. Since its not using bonding, maybe thats why it says DOCSIS 2.0

As for the uncorrectables, there aren't MANY of them. Lets look at Downstream channel 1 - (8962/338287704)*100 = 0.0026% ! So for every eight downstream bytes, there is a 0.0026% chance of an uncorrectable error - in which case they are resent.

So far everything looks great - I only get 4 downstream channels and you're getting a full eight

My advice: don't mess with the defaults, like the tech support person said.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

As for the uncorrectables, there aren't MANY of them. Lets look at Downstream channel 1 - (8962/338287704)*100 = 0.0026% ! So for every eight downstream bytes, there is a 0.0026% chance of an uncorrectable error - in which case they are resent.

Agree that there aren't many. But his modem only has 6 hours of uptime. Roughly 10k uncorrectables per channel for such a short time period is higher than typical.

I'd also be curious if these are ticking up steadily or was there just a few bursts of errors? There's a lot of blocks moving around per second, so just fiddling with a coax cable can cause a big spike in those numbers.

At a minimum I'd run around and check that every coax fitting is tight. You can't see the upstream uncorrectables on the modem status - if those downstream uncorrectables are caused by ingress due to a loose fitting, it the upstream may be in much worse shape as it's more sensitive to noise at lower frequencies.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to cestolonio

First, it says D2 because they're still using a D2 encoding for the (single) upstream channel. Be glad it's not DOCSIS 1.0.

Second, there are always going to be errors. (there are a million and a half things to cause them) Usually, error correction takes care of it, but not always. Unless you are seeing packet loss, just live with it. (honestly, the Arris modems are quite crappy, so I'd attribute some of this to that.)

cestolonio

Los Angeles, CA
reply to djrobx

Thanks for the information.. I checked my wires and the coax for the modem seems to be in the right place. Everything seems tight

But I want to mention that TWC put a Coax Amplifier for the TVs. Does that mean anything? I assume it would help, but considering "djrobx" said that was a bit much of uncorrectables in a short amount of time, makes me concern.

Thanks for the help

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by cestolonio:

But I want to mention that TWC put a Coax Amplifier for the TVs. Does that mean anything? I assume it would help, but considering "djrobx" said that was a bit much of uncorrectables in a short amount of time, makes me concern.

Thanks for the help

Honestly if your speed is fine and your connection works ok.. Don't worry about it. Depending on line noise, distance, splitters, interference from 3rd party devices, many other factors you can see correctable/uncorrectable. I see numbers similar to yours with TW in OH and my connection is fine.

cestolonio

Los Angeles, CA

My connection is fine as well, on ethernet, but wireless its not. Somebody gave me advice on router settings. Its fine but not perfect compared to other people I know

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to cestolonio

I assume it would help, but considering "djrobx" said that was a bit much of uncorrectables in a short amount of time, makes me concern.

I said it's higher than what I typically see. As djc6 noted, it's a very low 0.0026% data rate. The amplifier could have something to do with it. As long as it's working it's nothing to worry about.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.