share rss forum feed

taco_hell

join:2001-09-16
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Comcast

[Speed] Happy with comcast so far

After a hiccup in my installation (apartment management disconnected the coax from outside to the inside of the apartment) i am a very happy costumer, in comparison with AT&T speeds, just wow! the tech told me there is a 100 meg available in the broward area, but still too expensive and I am happy with the speed

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
I use to have at&t myself, only got 2.70mbps from them, switch over to Comcast and much faster speed. I have Performance now, I get between 18 and 25mbps.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

3 edits
I had AT&T ADSL service from when it was offered as, "Pacific Bell DSL Service". SBC did not enforce their branding until around March, 2002.

I started in February, 2001; Comcast did not offer Internet in my neighborhood until 2004. Started on 1536/128. As SBC, upload speeds were increased to 256k, finally to 384k. Was offered 3008/512 service for $17.95 at the end of a $19.95 contract year of the 1536/384 service. Maximum speed was:

Due to the 15% ATM overhead. Had to set MTU=1492 due to PPPoE.

In April, 2011, I dumped AT&T for Sonic.net "Fusion". Unlike AT&T service, Fusion is not tiered; the modem and DSLAM negotiate the best speed the loop can sustain. Also, Fusion is DHCP, so MTU can be set to 1500. Still ATM, so the 15% overhead is still in effect; but at 9,156 ft, the sync rate is just shy of the required 6016/768 for AT&T 6M service. Still, faster, and cheaper than AT&T:

Subsequently moved to another residence with a 3,300 foot loop and Sonic.net "Fusion" available. Same price as at the old place, but for a nasty $6.50 monthly modem rental fee. Still cheaper than Comcast 25M unbundled, standard no-promo price. Speed is very decent; should be indistinguishable from 25M service, except downloads:

I now have a /32 static IP address at no cost, and Sonic even allows me to set the rDNS to match my domain. They even provide the zone for less than Dyn.
Multiple edits to fix wrong image, and format.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

taco_hell

join:2001-09-16
Miami, FL
cool, problem is, in south florida is either ATT or comcast and that's pretty much it