Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zeigh

join:2007-10-07
Chandler, AZ

Tuning My ISP's Wireless Antenna...

Hello,

I need to move my outside ISP wireless antenna due to some home remodeling and wiring upgrades. The raw labor is not an issue (as I have done this several times with satellite dishes), but I do need to know how to tune/aim the antenna back to it's optimal angle in the new location. It seems as though I remember seeing the installer use some sort of handheld meter to do this with originally.

Is there a way for the average customer to tune such an antenna without specialized equipment? Maybe some kind of software? If not, what would be the cheapest meter to get for the task? If it costs more than $50, HA, then maybe I will just pay my ISP to readjust the antenna again.

More Microchips Than Sense,
Dr. Z.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Have you called the ISP? They may come do it for free. Tell them you're remodeling and need it moved.

Look at the outside unit. Some of them have signal lights on the bottom that can be used for aiming. If not, just use a compass and make sure it's pointed in the same direction after the move.

Zeigh

join:2007-10-07
Chandler, AZ

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that it might be as easy as that...

There are no signal lights on the unit and the closest repeater tower is only about 500 feet away. Can I calm my obsessive compulsiveness and feel confident that between my visual aiming and a compass that I will be getting the best signal possible?

Peace,
Dr. Z.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

At that distance eyeballing it will be good enough. Just make your best effort to get the main axis of the antenna (perpendicular to the face of your antenna) pointed directly at the tower antennas.

Should be fine...