spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ZachS

join:2013-06-15

internet disconnecting way to much

Something is wrong my internet keeps d/cing when someone streams/downloads something my internet disconnects every 2 mins for about 5-10 seconds, ive tried calling att they told me it was my modem. got a new one it kept doing the samething now they are saying its my wiring. also my ping has gone up a lot in the pass few months here is my past speedtests imgur.com/1HQPY2p.png
also my modem is green even when its disconnected

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
Give us some info to use...

Router? Switches? Wireless? (if wireless, which version/band?) Any of these things been trough a process of elimination? How about using a speedtest.net results link instead of your own weird link.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!
Expand your moderator at work

ZachS

reply to Veloslave

Re: internet disconnecting way to much

2701HG-B 2Wire, What do you mean by Switches or wireless? and that link is showing my ping witch i can't show you with a speedtest link so i had to imgur it but anyway here is my speedtest »speedtest.net/result/2777849958.png

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to ZachS
1st. You will notice the ping result on the right side of the speedtest result.

2nd Your ping is very high for a DSL and you speeds suck too but maybe that is just your package?

3rd Do you have a router or switch in use? I suspect "no" since you do not seem to know what they are.

4th How are you connecting to the internet connection... a wired connection or wireless?
--

ZachS

My ping is really high now but just a few months ago it was fine 18 ping nothing has changed. my computer is wired

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
reply to ZachS
Start here and let us know how it goes

»/tools
--

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to ZachS
go to your 2wire and post the following pages (blacking out any personal information is a good idea)
1. »192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J02
2. »192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J03
3. »192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J04

ZachS

1 edit
Alright i did that i used imgur links

2. »i.imgur.com/OB5S8hJ.png
3. »i.imgur.com/RANNCAp.png

ZachS

Any ideas?

bbear2
Premium
Disclaimer, I'm not a professional and only speak from experience (i.e. not a training DSL technician)...
Your noise margins look ok at the time of this snapshot. On the other hand, your down attenuation seems high at 42 dB, as does your down output power at 19.3. The number of "corrected blocks" and cell header errors and loss of cell delineations for one day seems on the high side. When I used work with 2wires on a clean line it would stay in the double digits for weeks/months.

Suggestions:
1. Has anything changed on your internal wiring?
2. Have you changed filters? (they do go bad from time to time).
3. Watch the numbers I mentioned above when the dc happens and see if there is any differences. If so, capture and post. Sometimes a snapshot during the incident will be more enlightening. Reviewing the detailed log can also provide insight.

ZachS

1 edit
1. nope
2. Already changed them
3. Edit I just tried even when it dcs its still the same

ZachS

reply to ZachS
Still nothing called att again he said nothing is wrong with the lines he thinks i have a bad modem I told him i already got a new one it did the samething but he said try again buy a new one

bbear2
Premium
reply to ZachS
I suggest you connect your 2wire at the NIC to eliminate house wiring, let it settle out a bit and see what your stats look like from there.

ZachS

I'm sorry i don't really understand this could you explan?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by ZachS:

said by bbear2:

I suggest you connect your 2wire at the NIC to eliminate house wiring, let it settle out a bit and see what your stats look like from there.

I'm sorry i don't really understand this could you explan?

While your ISP is not Verizon, I point you to

»Verizon Online DSL FAQ »What is a NID?
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

bbear2
Premium
reply to ZachS

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ZachS
What is being suggested is that you test your connection performance from the ISP's wiring... the POE (point of entry) where the ISP's wiring comes into the dwelling from underground or from a utility pole and connects to the wiring that disburses through the home. If you connect it as suggested in the supplied articles... you will prove whether or not if it is a case of the homes wiring that is causing the problem.

IF THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS... it can then be a case of the modem being bad OR the ISP's wiring to the dwelling being bad. Bad ISP wiring is a lot more common that you would believe but the ISP will rarely admit or point to. You want to use the process of elimination to take your homes wiring out of the picture. If the problem stops... then it points to the wiring inside your dwelling being the problem which is the responsibility of the owner... the only caveat being sometimes people have added a monthly fee/service to their phone/ISP account that covers interior wiring.

If IT IS the wiring that is causing the problem... go down to home depot and buy some cat6 and make a fresh run from the NID/POE to replace the wiring where you have the Modem located, you will only need to use a pair or two of that wiring.. The chances are the old wiring will be fine for the POTS service. If you are still having problems or... the problem still exists when testing from the POE, and you know a good tech or two in the area... ask them if they have a spare DSL (or cable) modem you can borrow to use to test on your system. Call the ISP and tell them you want to switch to the other modem to test your old one. The company will help you configure the new modem unless they give you some chicken$hit baloney about it is a non-supported model... then you must be dealing with ATT and you will need to kick some tech a$$ and ask for a supervisor. Quite often with ATT you have to really fight to get even reasonable support.
--

It should be called Windows H8