share rss forum feed

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3

Field Day Next Weekend!

Who else will be operating?

I'll be running the satellite station for K6AA, as usual.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

I'll be running 1F at the VA. Probably CW, jumping between HF and 6 meters... there's not much activity above 6 around here.
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

PL239

join:2013-06-17
Aliquippa, PA
reply to drjim

Good luck everyone...

Don't forget that the real reason for Field Days is to promote amateur radio in a positive light to the public.
They do not know or understand what it is that we do as amateurs and everything that we do at Field Days is their one and only shot at exposure to our hobby.

Always remember to ask if the frequency is in use before transmitting or tuning up. Don't tune up over someones QSO - tune up into a dummy load and use minimum power when you tune.

Always be courteous when operating.

Always be a good ham - don't push and shove and try to talk over other people.

Operate 3 kc's away from your nearest neighbor on the band.

W8ASA
Tieng gi vay?

join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to drjim

W8DGN 6A Ohio

My club, the Bellbrook ARC, will be operating on emergency power the entire weekend, with up to 6 transmitters. Look for us on voice, CW, and digital modes.

Ken W8ASA
--
Microwave and RF Components at www.ohiomicrowave.com

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to drjim

Re: Field Day Next Weekend!

Oh shit... that's next weekend?

I'll be operating on 161.28 NFM

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

said by burner50:

From milepost X to X eh?

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to burner50

said by burner50:

You should get a point for every contact with RTC. Two points for wayside workers.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

PL239

Aliquippa, PA
reply to drjim

With the Coronal Hole that opened up on the sun today, I don't know if many people will be doing much of any operating / during the day time anyways...

Coronal holes are places where the sun's magnetic field opens up and allows the solar wind to escape. A wide stream of plasma flowing from this particular coronal hole will reach Earth, and brush against our planet's magnetic field, on June 23-24

mr weather
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Which is at the end of FD...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to drjim

Personally, I'm hoping the increased solar wind will help raise the MUF a bit. 15 and 10 have been mostly dead lately, except for some Es now and then.

In between the frequent HF blackouts we had with more active solar cycles [20 and 21, particularly] were days and weeks with propagation conditions that a lot of younger hams would kill for.

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

And those of us who lived Cycle 19 will NEVER forget it.
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to drjim

N4DAB running 3F in NFL...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to drjim

K1CRC, 3A CT. We got our wish regarding the MUF rising for Field Day. We worked up and down the West Coast, HI and PR on 15. 10 and 6 were open for a short while in the afternoon. 15 stayed open until 11PM [We were working CA and PR at about 10:45PM, just before the band 'died' for the night]. Didn't hear much of anything on 160. I made a few contacts on 20 [FL, OK, TX etc.]. Most of our contacts yesterday were on 40 [Beam on tower > long wires]. I may post photos if I can find a data cable for my phone. I have a couple of decent shots of the stations and tower in the moonlight [wires don't look like much at night; have to get a low-lux camera one of these days]. Had to go home at midnight, but people were still operating on 80 and 40 when I left. K1CRC beats last year's number of contacts sometime around 9 or 10PM yesterday evening.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to drjim

So far, we have had a good weekend. Usually, we are done and out by 8-9PM... We didn't end up leaving until almost 12:30AM!!

My first time on HF. Was on 20M. One of the best contacts I made was to a guy over in Kuwait! Wow... all off a vertical on the roof of the EOC.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to drjim

Ran the GOTA station W3GR for a bit. On 20M, I hit a wide variety of stations including the Virgin Islands.

Pretty crowded conditions but fun to grab some stations.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to DrStrange

We seemed to have good luck with 15m as well, although I wasn't on it myself. 20 and 40 were very good day and night, especially 20. We had an 80m dipole as well, but one of the guys went to sleep near the radio for that one so I wasn't able to hop on in the evening. We had 5 operators total, I was the only one that pulled an all-nighter (33 hours awake as of this post, bleh).

We had around the same number of contacts as last year, but over a much higher number of sections. According to our logs, we missed 11 US sections and 5 provinces. Last year we got maybe half of the US and two provinces.

NC6MC / 3A / SF
--
KI6RIT

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to neonhomer

Awesome, congrats . Now you've been bit by the HF bug, hehe.

The first field day I went to was in 2009. It was my first time on HF as well. I was scared at first and didn't try it until that evening, but once I started, I couldn't put the microphone down. Before FD was done, I was able to hit Austria and Japan. Since then, it's been a bit more local. The farthest contact I made this year was Guam.
--
KI6RIT

mr weather
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to drjim

VE3MIS 12A in GTA and we had a good time. Weather was dicey on Saturday and we were actually off the air briefly due to a thundershower. Lots of QSB initially on 20m (the station I operated) but the band opened up nicely to the Left Coast after darkness fell.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to drjim

Click for full size
Here is my HF rig running battery/solar power with a 20m mobile antenna.
Our club had a small Field Day with the emphasis on operating in remote, emergency, and non ideal conditions.

I also brought along my solar observing telescopes because the Sun plays an important part in both of my hobbies.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

We only had three stations besides me on satellite.

One guy blew out his rig and had to go to his back-up radio.

One guy had the cable in his crank-up tower fail when it was about 18" up, so his KT-34 beam was only 20' off the ground.

And the CW station ran like a top all weekend!

Not too many points this year, but we had a LOT of The Public stop by and ask questions, we kept all 3 stations running 24 hours after getting them up and running, we found some weak links in the gear we use every year, and we had a good time.
--

PL239

Aliquippa, PA

Congratulations - good job on Field Days this year.

It is a learning experience which shouldn't be taken lightly.

With all the pre planning involved - to have that many mistakes highlights all that would have gone wrong - had you had a real emergency and needed that equipment.

PL239

Aliquippa, PA
reply to DrStrange

I don't think that Coronal Holes increases the MUF during the daytime.

Just think of it like rubbing a balloon across your head and then sticking it to the ceiling.

The static discharges in the air - makes so much noise that it wipes out most all of the HF bands.

I monitored 6 meters and only heard 3 stations all of Field Days weekend.

40 meters was the most strong and 20 meters came in a close second - if you could get the person you were trying to talk to to hear you. There was some skip going on - where the bands were up and down and times where doppler shift made it hard to tune someone in.

Even on 20 meters - one minute they might be strong and the next they would be down in the mud or gone completely.

I made 100 contacts from my home station on 40 meters between 9 PM and 11:30 PM...
I had a hard time getting the logging program N1MM to work and couldn't get the rig control to work - had to manually log each frequency.

I put 300 miles on the truck - looking for a real amateur radio club to participate with - but all I found was a bunch of CB'rs.....
It seems like Field Days brings out the worst in some people.

>>>> Does not play well with others

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to PL239

Yes, but we recovered gracefully and were able to operate without much difficulty.

The tower *could* have been fixed on site as the owner knew exactly what was wrong with it, but elected not to repair it.

The guy who had the radio fail had a back-up radio, so again, no loss.

And satellites are not a viable method for passing any appreciable volume of emergency traffic.

All in all, we met our objectives.
--