uniqs
TurboNerd
join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM

TurboNerd to Uplinkpro

to Uplinkpro

Re: [Rant] What do you think is a REASONABLE CAP

Toushe' uplinkpro, I see your pov.
But you got to remember another country is beating us out in industrially, and makes/develops/supports a lot of our technology now with our assistance (overseas outsourcing) We also owe them a LOT of money. But at least we have our freedoms concerning the internet and censoring.
You can't have the good without the bad, is what I tell my daughter and it applies in this instance.
Imagine not being able to HATE SuddenLink because of their caps on this forum. Go to France and find out. HATE speech laws make it pretty broad there esp when money is involved.

Concerning the minimum for broadband (for others who don't know about it)
I visit the FCC website every now and again. They can legally still call it high speed, at a particular point, I know 5 years ago it was around 256k (maybe 200k symmetrical) but I call it 256.
And I had that in 2000 here in Podunk 10-15 years behind everybody else. (technology, education, even fashion styles)
So I know there has to be some lobbying so the industry can utilize the term ULTRA HIGH SPEED.

I have a FCC Commission report on the deployment of advanced communications in America
Commonly known as the
BROADBAND REPORT CARD
2010 it was upped to 4Mbit down/1Mbit up
So I would inform that business of it or their customers if they refuse to amend the advertisement.
And remained so even in my 2012 report

Did they already put out this years report card?
Did they up it to 6Mbit this year?

Indeed even here a lot of people say copying a file from one folder to another is tooo slow and we are talking gigabit speeds with them even ATA-6 is included (drive to drive).

I am content with 10-15Mbits and an AthlonXP machine (just wish 3D Netflix codec worked on it but I am content with 3D BLU-RAY on it until I can modify a driver), offline web browsing, etc. but I don't expect to limit other's abilities because of my content-ness.
Which is what caps are also about just replace content with average usage. You can probably agree with that statement.

Concerning the bailout I agree.
It's stuff like that where you elect laws for yourself(your business) instead of your country(citizens) is why other Republics failed and I am afraid to admit the end of the united states will result because of crap like that.

Plateautel, engineers its network on double the end user sold capacity (shared wireless Meganet/3G/4G not included) But it DOESNT CAP it throttles effectively, limits bandwidth for p2p appropriately with what I see is proper network management practices and Modifies it's Tier 3 agreements appropriately.
And they have been around for 55-60 years. Built by farmers for farmers (by the people for the people) and only in 1990 did they incorporate into a business vs Co-Operative.

All of that is the good, here comes the bad it's fastest is 20Mbit. twice the price of 15 with SuddenLink. But you can do ANYTHING you want with it Maxing it out 24*7 if you wish with whatever you want. (non illegal of course)

SuddenLink can only hope to trace it's origins past ten years even then I see them going bankrupt when people flee because the companies that they bought that went bankrupt did the same thing. Thought about $$$ vs the people.

Take care of your people right, and the $$$ will come naturally. Vs trying to take care of your people to make $$$.

DN_Mills
@suddenlink.net

DN_Mills

Anon

I personally think they should just charge $10 a month and then $1 for every $5.

Let's say I download/upload 250GB per month, my bill will be $60.
If I use only 50GB next month, then my bill drops to $20.

Will never happen...
Uplinkpro
join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

Uplinkpro to TurboNerd

to TurboNerd
»Cable Angry About Higher 6 Mbps FCC Broadband Definition [65] comments

Excuse me, apparently it's not "final" yet but let's be real here, even 6 MB/s is slow.

Also, one of my other reasons for why caps are unreasonable is simply due to it being just another part where there service will fail. They have enough troubles as it is with cable outages and whatnot without adding in an inaccurate meter on top of it.