spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FitChicago

join:2010-12-31
Chicago, IL

RCN Policies on Handling Government Access to User Data?

With the recent revelations regarding the top secret data mining program for the FBI & NSA called PRISM and the public disclosures by Google, Facebook and others as to how they handle such requests, I'm reminded of the recent publication by the Electronic Frontier Foundation titled "Who Has Your Back? 2013" (available here: »www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-20 ··· ack-2013 ).

The following companies were included in this report: Amazon, Apple, AT&T, Comcast, Dropbox, Facebook, Foursquare, Google, LinkedIn, Loopt, Microsoft, MySpace, Skype, Sonic.net, SpiderOak, Tumblr, Twitter, Verizon, WordPress (Automattic, Inc.) and Yahoo!

Note: RCN competitors Comcast and AT&T both participated in this.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation asked the following questions and documents the responses from each company in the report. I am curious to learn RCN's answers to the following questions from the Electronic Frontier Foundation report:
1. Does the company require a warrant for content of communications?
2. Does the company tell users about government data requests?
3. Does the company publish transparency reports?
4. Does the company make public any policies or guidelines they have explaining how they respond to data demands from the government, such as guides for law enforcement?
5. Does the company have public record of resisting over-broad government demands for access to user content in court?
6. Does the company fight for users’ privacy rights
in Congress?

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback. Jason & rest of the RCN team here are awesome and one of many reasons I continue to be a long time loyal RCN customer.

fromNewton

join:2005-08-07
West Newton, MA
I join FitChicago both in recognizing the Importance of our user rights and protection from blatant government access to user data and in wanting to know the RCN response to your questions.

FitChicago, thanks for asking, and please ask again on twitter or post a link to this thread. RCN seems to be more active on twitter for customer support.

»twitter.com/rcnconnects

tellithowiti

@verizon.net
reply to FitChicago
all companies will comply and cooperate with law enforcement. dont expect anything you do as private online whether from rcn or comcast. all companies will give u some generic answer about how they deal with government inquires.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by tellithowiti :

all companies will comply and cooperate with law enforcement ...

To the extent that those companies must comply with court orders, and have the data available. There is currently no legal requirement to retain connection logs for a specified minimum period of time.

My ISP is Sonic.net, LLC, mentioned by the EFF site. Legal determined that the majority of warranted LEA requests were made in less than two weeks; so set their data retention at two weeks.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

FitChicago

join:2010-12-31
Chicago, IL
reply to tellithowiti
said by tellithowiti :

all companies will comply and cooperate with law enforcement. dont expect anything you do as private online whether from rcn or comcast. all companies will give u some generic answer about how they deal with government inquires.

I'd encourage you to read the Electronic Frontier Foundation report that I link to in the original post before making such statements.

Companies want the Six Gold Star rating from the EFF that Sonic.net achieved (NormanS mentioned Sonic in the post above mine).

Google actually reformed some policies and disclosures in order to improve their rating by the EFF.

Now, more than ever, reports like this by trusted organizations such as the EFF will become more important in the eye of the consumer when making smart choices for providers.