spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito

Modem

Currently i am renting DCM476 from Start.

I am thinking about getting my own modem, so, i don't have to pay $5 monthly.

Question is, should i buy this modem of Start now or get brand new Modem? or maybe ship this one back to Start and ask for brand new modem? (not even sure if this is possible).

In case i decide to go with buying modem from different place, how would modem switch work? would there be any downtime?

rocca, what kind of warranty comes with used modems ?

Start is offering me current modem for: $90.34 (tax included)

Modem from Start so far doesn't have any problems (at least that i know of).

Thanks

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

a rent to own option would be nice and possibly avoid this going forward.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I agree, but, since this is not possible, i don't know what to do.

g1gg1ty
@start.ca

g1gg1ty

Anon

93 bucks?!?! It's a no brainer. Why do you even have to ask?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
said by DrugTito:

Currently i am renting DCM476 from Start.

Start is offering me current modem for: $90.34 (tax included)

It is a good price for what it is, and newness will get you nothing special. There are cheaper modems out there (hint hint), but unless you really need to save the money.. The 476 is slightly better than what you'll buy used, and you don't have to go to all the extra effort.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

yep, $93 bucks, i feel this is too much for this long used modem.

That is why i don't know what to do. (for now)

Teddy thanks for info here and PM.

What bothers me the most is switching the modem (if that happens), not sure how Rogers take care of that, and if there is downtime etc.

Thanks

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
I bought the modem. There is really no justification in renting this modem as this is the top of the line D3 modem aside from the Motorola SB6141 which isn't approved for TPIA.

It's also futureproof until much higher channel bonding modem comes out or D3.1 which probably won't be here till 2020.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
I really don't think you should be considering it "long used". They don't wear out.

By all means hit kijiji and try to get a better price. A customer who came to me for a firmware flash said he saw one for $30 a few weeks ago. Operative word there is one--if you see one come up at that price, you better be prepared to get to the seller fast. He ended up getting one for $50, and then bringing it to me for upgrading for another $10, and a whole bunch of travelling around. I don't think you'll find one used from a reputable dealer for less than $85 taxes in, you have to go get it, and then go out to ship the current modem back.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
said by FiberToTheX:

I bought the modem. There is really no justification in renting this modem as this is the top of the line D3 modem aside from the Motorola SB6141 which isn't approved for TPIA.

It's also futureproof until much higher channel bonding modem comes out or D3.1 which probably won't be here till 2020.

Well, no. I mean, definitely better to buy, no argument there, and it is a perfectly good modem and all that. There are 24x8 modems on the market now though:
»www.marketwire.com/press ··· 4568.htm

Future proofing is a fools errand.

FiberToTheX
Premium Member

2 edits

FiberToTheX

Premium Member

said by Teddy Boom:

said by FiberToTheX:

Well, no. I mean, definitely better to buy, no argument there, and it is a perfectly good modem and all that. There are 24x8 modems on the market now though:
»www.marketwire.com/press ··· 4568.htm

Future proofing is a fools errand.

I've seen that Hitron 24x8 D3 modem but since it's release last year it has not yet appeared in the Rogers ecosystem and it probably won't for a while perhaps even till 2014/2015. Rogers is only upgrading certain areas to 64QAM and I doubt that they would add more upload channels considering only last year was channel bonding being effectively introduced.

Future proofing can be done to a certain degree with computer hardware if you hit the proper price/performance point. Generally the consensus is though that the more you spend the less futureproof it is after a certain point. Video cards are a good example.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
said by FiberToTheX:

Yea, i know.

It would be nice if Start had better options for rented modems, save the trouble

Hopefully rocca will take a peak on this thread and maybe he comes up with something (as he usually does)

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
said by FiberToTheX:

It's also futureproof until much higher channel bonding

D3 modems capable of bonding 24 channels will be out in the wild in the next 4-6 months. Videotron in Quebec is already running 24 channels on many of their nodes, it's only a matter of time before it happens here in Ontario.

Probably start seeing the first 3.1 rolled out by Canadian providers in 2015-2017, not 2020. There will be American deployments next year.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

... means... i should wait a bit and then spend the money?:D

What do you say mr Gone?

Thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
said by DrugTito:

It would be nice if Start had better options for rented modems, save the trouble Hopefully rocca will take a peak on this thread and maybe he comes up with something (as he usually does)

I'm not aware of any approved 24 channel modems for either the networks we serve? Right now best approved modem IMHO is the DCM476 which is what we supply.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
said by DrugTito:

What do you say mr Gone?

It means you should probably buy the best eight channel modem you can right now, like a DCM476 (or also the DPC3008 in Cogecoland). While they aren't "future proof" they'll still work for a long while yet.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by DrugTito:

It would be nice if Start had better options for rented modems, save the trouble Hopefully rocca will take a peak on this thread and maybe he comes up with something (as he usually does)

I'm not aware of any approved 24 channel modems for either the networks we serve? Right now best approved modem IMHO is the DCM476 which is what we supply.

Could you please answer the other questions i had?

In case i decide to go with buying modem from different place, how would modem switch work? would there be any downtime?

rocca, what kind of warranty comes with used modems ?

I am not very happy with the price you guys are offering me for the used modem, that is why i dont know what to do, yet

FiberToTheX
Premium Member

FiberToTheX to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by DrugTito:

What do you say mr Gone?

It means you should probably buy the best eight channel modem you can right now, like a DCM476 (or also the DPC3008 in Cogecoland). While they aren't "future proof" they'll still work for a long while yet.

Their somewhat "future proof" because they will work for a long time and yet provide speeds capable of 150/10 and possibly higher on all 8 channels as each channel can provide 42.88 Mbit/s. Until D3.1 is implemented we aren't going to see 1Gb speeds on HFC Cable. 150/10 will be plenty fast for 99% of the users for the next foreseeable years perhaps with an upload boost eventually.
said by Gone:

said by FiberToTheX:

It's also futureproof until much higher channel bonding

D3 modems capable of bonding 24 channels will be out in the wild in the next 4-6 months. Videotron in Quebec is already running 24 channels on many of their nodes, it's only a matter of time before it happens here in Ontario.

Probably start seeing the first 3.1 rolled out by Canadian providers in 2015-2017, not 2020. There will be American deployments next year.

Perhaps they may be out within the next half of this year but Rogers probably won't start renting them till 2014. There is no Rogers nodes that have more than 8 channel downstream bonding and that would require a node upgrade to support it. That's also going to take time because Rogers is upgrading areas from 16QAM to 64QAM and that takes priority over more downstream bonding.

The 2020 figure is a worst-case scenario. Americans are going to get it first in 2016-2017 and not 2014. Some products supporting D3.1 standard will be out in 2014 but deployment will begin in 2015/2016 for the US. Canada will likely take 1-2 more years after the American deployment and also depending on how much FTTH penetration will be available to compete with D3.1

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by FiberToTheX:

Perhaps they may be out within the next half of this year but Rogers probably won't start renting them till 2014. There is no Rogers nodes that have more than 8 channel downstream bonding and that would require a node upgrade to support it. That's also going to take time because Rogers is upgrading areas from 16QAM to 64QAM and that takes priority over more downstream bonding.

Rogers could have nodes running with more than eight forward channels, your modem would just never tell you because you can't bond to any more than eight at a time. If they aren't already they will be soon because additional forward channels beyond eight provide a traffic benefit to the node even if the modems are only capable of bonding eight at a time.
Balin
join:2013-04-24

Balin to DrugTito

to DrugTito
If you spend $90.34 today you will break even in 18 months at a $5/mth rental. If you think the technology will change prior to the 18 months I wouldn't buy it. If you think this modem will out live the 18 months then buy it.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

problem is ... warranty on used Modem, i am still not sure what kind of warranty i am getting on this deal then, i will e-mail support back, i think i will get faster response then here.

price is high i believe as well (i wish they had ren-to-own option), since, i am using this modem from 10/4/2012.
Balin
join:2013-04-24

Balin

Ah, yes now I understand, it is a high price if you have used it for 8 months.

But since its a rental you do not have to worry about warranty. If it is faulty or you have issues Start would be on the nut to fix or replace it.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Yep, it is high price, for sure.

I just got e-mail from start, confirming the warranty.

Ian from Start responded with:

" Sorry to correct my self, it's a 1 year manufacturers warranty from the time you get the modem. So if you have had it for 8 months and purchased it today there would be 2 months left on the warranty. "

I am not sure how it would be 2 months (should be 4) but, okay.

No way i am buying this off at this price.
I would rather spend another 20-30 bucks on new modem and get full year of warranty (in case something goes bad)

Hopefully rocca will respond to my question about downtime, etc. (if modem is switched)

Thanks all
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

I am in the same situation as you DrugTito. The price is definitely higher after renting it for 8 months and warranty for 4 months unless they extend the warranty for 1 year. Having said that, the modem is quite popular hence, the value is higher than any typical modems.

Modem swap will work the same as transferring your service from another TPIA. If you do not want any downtime then, only call them after you receive your new modem. Once they provision your new modem, your old modem of course will stop working. When the old modem stops working, plug in your new modem and that's it. I think the time frame is 24-48 hours but could be wrong.

@Rocca: It would be nice to see rent-to-own option for modems.

Start Laurie
Premium Member
join:2011-09-09
London, ON

Start Laurie to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
Yes it would be four months, Ian must be having a bad day. If you do purchase a new modem we would need to place a modem swap for you. Once we receive word that the swap has been completed on the back end we would let you know to do the physical swap at your end. It can take up to half an hour for the modem to connect but there should be no long period of downtime.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

»www.amazon.com/Technicol ··· 09EAH4U6

this would be nice:)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
From what I see you've rented it 8 months = $40, we offered it for $79.95 which is $20 less current plus the $10 free shipping, so it would have cost you $10 more than if you bought it out right from the start. Not sure how much more a better deal would could have made that? If you want I'll credit you back the $5 for this month so it's a $5 difference instead.

If you want to mail it back and swap it that's certainly your option, just guess I don't see what more we can do and surprised about comments on how it's way too expensive as most places don't offer a credit for part of what was already paid on it.

Anyway, in regards to downtime you'd register the new modem, wait for the old to stop working and then swap - remembering to return the old modem so you don't get billed for it still.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by rocca:

surprised about comments on how it's way too expensive as most places don't offer a credit for part of what was already paid on it.

I think from warranty aspect of it, it's expensive unless you extend the warranty which would equal to 1 year. Otherwise its not expensive.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Agreed.

I also DO understand that start can't extend manufacture warranty, it would be pain in the ass for them if modems start braking, but, then, as i said, i am trying to figure out what would be the best for me and my pocket.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
The deal there was the same warranty and $5 more than if buying it upfront. Hard to beat that for essentially a rent to own option. I know there are a couple places that sell the modems too, some with the right firmware and some not, some with duties or international shipping, etc. In the end we give customers lots of choices, ie rent, buy, bring your own or even a discount to buy out your rental if you've had it a while.

Edit: plus cross shipping and dealing with the warranty if it ever arises, ie it's return to us not the manufacturer. Lots of perks to deal directly with us but freedom not to if you prefer.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I agree with that as well rocca.

I am more then happy with everything you guys provide to me, for my $, no doubt, but couple days ago i 'realized' that i am still paying for the modem, i don't think that i am going back to DSL any time soon, that is why i am thinking about getting my own modem.

Thank you rocca and all for answers\thoughs.

Tito