uniqs
share rss forum feed

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

[request] Wireless 'N' WiFi Forum

Some of us, including me, now subscribe to the Wireless 'N' WiFi service. It's the only unlimited 4G service without data cap speed throttling with 3G crossover of which I'm aware, and as such it fills an interesting niche.

Therefore I suggest that it would be appropriate to add it as a forum to the Wireless/Mobile forum page at »Wireless / Mobile . Hope there is interest in this.

By way of anecdotal background, I'm using their Tri-Fi in midtown Manhattan, zip 10022, and I'm getting access to all three Sprint networks, 3G, WiMax and LTE. I previously had a BYOD plan on Millenicom with an Overdrive Pro.

My 3G and WiMax performance is identical to the performance I was getting with the Overdrive, and the WiMax is functioning excellently, well above spec. LTE is a disappointment so far in my area.

On 3G signal strength is 100%, WiMax signal strength is 80% and LTE signal strength is 60%. That translates to six bars out of six, five bars out of six and four bars out of six respectively.

On 3G, my typical performance continues to be unimpressive, averaging above 500k on the download, and, curiously, higher on the upload, around 700k. On WiMax, performance has been excellent, actually above the maximum spec of 6mbps. Here's my current speed:

So, for now, I mostly stay on WiMax.

LTE, on the other hand, so far is a bitter disappointment. My average download speed was averaging around 2 to 2.5 mbps, while the upload was somewhat higher, between 3 and 4 mbps. In other words, the upload was slightly above spec but the download was woefully below spec (6mbps is Sprint's specified minimum).

To be fair to Sprint, they do not yet claim that LTE is ready for prime time in my area, and will not yet allow sales of LTE devices here. However I've also been told that with reasonable LTE signal strength, which I have, I should be seeing faster speeds than that, so there may be a systemic problem in my area that will not see improvement when the LTE Manhattan rollout is complete. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Anyway, how about it? Folks up for a new Wireless 'n' WiFi forum on our Wireless/Mobile page?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Re: Wireless 'N' WiFi Forum

I don't recall even a single thread dedicated to this issue on the Wireless Users Chat forum. Unless that forum gets overloaded with threads regarding this service (which I can't even find as such using Google) then I see no reason for a separate forum.

*Object*

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
That's odd. I just googled Wireless 'n' WiFi and DSL Reports and got quite a few references. Check them out; they're at »www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q···&bih=683 . If you use Broadband Reports instead of DSL Reports as your second search term, you will get even more references: »www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q···&bih=683 .

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
I Googled "Wireless 'N' WiFi service". Now that you have posted more information it is evidently a service offered by Millenicom but that didn't come up in a Google search. Looks like we currently have a Millenicom forum located here

»Millenicom

I can't imagine why there should be a special forum for one of their services. Once again

*OBJECT*

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by robbin:

I Googled "Wireless 'N' WiFi service". Now that you have posted more information it is evidently a service offered by Millenicom but that didn't come up in a Google search. Looks like we currently have a Millenicom forum located here

»Millenicom

Incorrect; this is NOT a service offered by Millenicom; Wireless 'n' WiFi is an entirely separate company. In fact, that's precisely why I feel that this is a forum that we should have. I'm very aware of the Millenicom forum; I've been reading in it, and posting in it, for years, since I was a Millenicom customer myself until last week. But since we have the Millenicom forum, there is no rational argument I can think of as to why we should not therefore have a Wireless 'n' WiFi forum. In fact, all of the arguments against having a Wireless 'n' WiFi forum would apply equally to Millenicom. Logically, as I see it, we should have both or neither.

Some of the differences between the two services: Millenicom offers a BYOD plan, Wirelesss 'n' WiFi does not. Wireless 'n' WiFi's 4G side is completely unlimited, Millenicom launches an investigation of anyone who goes over 50 gigs in a month, etc. etc.

I could keep going, but the bottom line is that they are different companies with different products.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
OK -- so I had to email them because there is so little information on their site. Wireless 'n Wifi is not a wireless Internet provider. According to their email to me: "We are not a provider, we area what is known as wn [sic] MVNO." Looking up this acronym, it translates as Mobile Virtual Network Provider which according to Google "is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the radio spectrum or wireless network infrastructure over which the MVNO provides services to its customers. An MVNO enters into a business agreement with a mobile network operator to obtain bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently."

While they may provide a good service, I'm not sure they qualify for the "Wireless/Mobile Broadband providers over wireless and mobile" forum. I would hope those forums are for actual broadband providers. I maintain my belief that the proper forum for discussions regarding Wireless 'n Wifi is the Wireless Users forum.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by robbin:

While they may provide a good service, I'm not sure they qualify for the "Wireless/Mobile Broadband providers over wireless and mobile" forum. I would hope those forums are for actual broadband providers. I maintain my belief that the proper forum for discussions regarding Wireless 'n Wifi is the Wireless Users forum.

Well, by that standard, Millenicom shouldn't be a forum either, since Millenicom does EXACTLY what Wireless 'n' WiFi does, namely provide Internet connectivity to their customers through another entity's network.

LTE4LIFE

join:2013-02-28
reply to criggs
I'm soon to be getting my U770 from Wireless `N' WiFi to connect to my Cradlepoint MBR95. $80 a month for unlimited 4G/LTE using the Sprint network is far cheaper than the $200+ I've been pissing away on Verizon's HomeFusion 30GB package.
Every month I've been going over 30GB and I don't even use Netflix or any other HD video streaming service.

I used a Samsung Galaxy S4 to verify the LTE signal and did various speedtests which was over 15Mbps down and 5Mbps up.
Even got some speeds of 25Mbps down.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Very happy to hear it. If you agree that it is time to add a Wireless 'n' WiFi forum to the existing five fora in the Wireless/Mobile section of this web site located at »Wireless / Mobile , please indicate that clearly, as in e.g., "I approve criggs' suggestion and agree that a Wireless 'n' WiFi forum should be created alongside the Millenicom, Clearwire, Sprint, Wireless Users and Verizon Wireless fora.

Thank you!

For now, I'm supposing that this is the proper procedure to follow when one has a suggestion like this. I'm presuming that I am in the right forum, that the moderators of this site are reading this thread, and are considering this suggestion. I have not heard anything yet from any of them, so I am hoping this is the right place and the right procedure.

LTE4LIFE

reply to criggs

Got my U770 plugged into my Cradlepoint MBR95 and this is what I'm getting with 3 bars of signal. If I can get me a directional antenna and aim it at the tower I'm sure to get way higher..

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Are you in an area that has publicly been designated by Sprint as an official LTE area, as indicated on their coverage map at »coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?q···ge%20map ?

If your answer to my question is no, then that should be a source of concern to me since that indicates that even LTE areas which Sprint does not acknowledge as such are capable of perfectly fine performance. Inasmuch as I continue to experience very poor LTE download performance, despite a strong signal, and inasmuch as your experience indicates that good LTE performance happens even in areas not yet so designated by Sprint, it is fair to conclude that the melancholy possibility exists that this is just the way LTE is going to be in my area, and that it ain't gonna get no better.

On the other hand, if your answer to my question is yes, then that might simply be confirmation that just because an area with good performance, like yours, has LTE which Sprint has publicly confirmed is open for business, doesn't mean that an area like mine, where Sprint has yet to publicly list it as ready for LTE business but where LTE nevertheless shows up on modems and hotspots and smartphones, will necessarily have LTE performance that's up to spec.

LTE4LIFE

according to the coverage map, I'm in what's labeled a `Fair' LTE coverage area with about 3 bars of signal.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Okay, then I have to continue to hope that my piss-poor LTE performance has to do with an immature installation that's missing, er, something, as indicated by the lack of public LTE device availability from Sprint for my area, rather than having to do with something environmental in this neighborhood that will forever preclude decent LTE performance. Here's hoping.

LTE4LIFE

You might want to check what the SNR is on whatever device you are using.. I've been playing around with a directional antenna and a Wilson booster kit, which I'm returning that item. I was getting 6 bars of signal with the combination of both, but my SNR was 20 or below and my speeds were horrible. Without the booster, I can get 3-4 bars of signal and get a SNR of 25-27, that's when I get the blazing speeds.. Seems SNR is way more important than just the amount of bars you get..

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, at the moment, as far as I know, I have no way of checking the SNR. I only have dBm and CINR/RSRQ. My LTE dBM is -79 and my LTE CINR/RSRQ is -13.

The menus for the Tri-Fi are quite similar to the menus for the Overdrive. If you are familiar with either, then perhaps you can direct me to a menu that provides the SNR. Alternatively, it has occurred to me that SNR might simply be another term for CINR/RSRQ or dBm. Is that the case? If so, what do my current dBm or CINR/RSRQ numbers indicate to you?

Thanks again for these insights; I appreciate it.

LTE4LIFE

I assume you have accessed your device's menus by going to it's assigned IP?

The IP for the U770 is: 192.168.10.1

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Yes. I view my device's menus as a browser page. And, as I say, I have not been able yet to locate this SNR spec to which you refer, unless SNR is a synonym for either dBm or CINR/RSRQ, both of which show up when clicking a link beneath the signal strength parameter (top one on the left both with the OverDrive and the Tri-Fi). Is it? If so, then I DO have the SNR figure. If not, then I either do not have it or it's hidden in some menu I haven't located yet. I did a search in my Tri-Fi's User Guide for SNR and came up empty however.

MMM83

@myvzw.com
I would love to see a new forum started to address the increasing number of users of wireless n wifi. Thanks for the suggestion, Criggs.

ggultra2764

join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY
reply to criggs

Re: [request] Wireless 'N' WiFi Forum

So with this being an MVNO, over which provider's network(s) is this service offered on?

criggs

New York, NY
Sprint.

Diugo

@blackberry.net
I would also like to see a new Wireless 'N Wifi forum.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
I doubt it'll happen as that's a bad name for a company and forum goers would likely be confused thinking its related to 802.11N wifi
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv