neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Smelling the magic smoke, but no evidence

This is on a Samsun t240 24" Syncmaster flat panel monitor, running on HDMI.

After a few minutes, I will start to smell what smells like burning electronics. I had isolated the smell to my monitor, so I pull it off the desk and pull it apart. I can't find any evidence of a part going bad.

The monitor shows no signs of a failure. No flickering, no dead pixels, nothing.

Any ideas?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Open it and look for cooked components or darkening of the circuit board. Run it while open and look for smoke. If it's really cooking then it won't run for long.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
how old is the monitor? new electronics have that "new electronics smell" sometimes............

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

Open it and look for cooked components or darkening of the circuit board. Run it while open and look for smoke. If it's really cooking then it won't run for long.

You miss so much with this new fangled circuitry. You miss the smell of a mouse being fried by the HV.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

54067323 (banned)

said by SparkChaser:

You miss so much with this new fangled circuitry. You miss the smell of a mouse being fried by the HV.

Sometimes 48 is all that is needed.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
The monitor is about 3-4 years old.

What's funny, is I didn't start noticing this smell until I switched to the HDMI input from the DVI input....