spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Freds_Fone

join:2013-06-17
Dade City, FL

[Tampa] Password bug ARRIS TG852G; best replacement eMTA?

Just had an Arris TG852G installed and was impressed by its specs. Unfortunately, there appears to be a bug in the firmware that prevents me from changing the set-up password from the factory default - at least so says the tech from BHN.

The BHN tech verified my Arris has the latest firmware. She also offered to replace the Arris with a Ubee model DVW3201 which she says has no known issues with changing passwords. Problem is the Ubee appears to me to have inferior specs to the Arris e-MTAs. Also, Ubee's website is one of the least informative, most unhelpful sites I've ever been to.

I've asked BHN to upgrade my e-MTA to the Arris TG862 because it appears to have slightly better specs (Tuners support two 96MHz blocks for up to 8 bonded channels) than the TG852. The TG862 also advertises a more robust set-up interface that I'm hoping won't have the TG852's password bug.

There are two questions I'm hoping the forum can answer:

1. Has anyone else with a TG852 had problems changing the set-up password?

2. Is the Ubee DVW3201 superior, inferior, or equivalent to the Arris 800 series e-MTAs?

Thanks!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

You were informed incorrectly about the Arris and I'll go ahead and apologize now for the incorrect information. Please open a direct forums thread here »Bright House Networks Direct and I will address your specific concern.

In other words...there is NO password bug with the Arris. You need to be provided with the proper login and (not the default which you have been using by resetting the modem).

Once this is done you will be able to change your password without an issue.

Freds_Fone

join:2013-06-17
Dade City, FL
reply to Freds_Fone

Here's a fascinating background article on known security deficiencies with the Arris models -> »www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe···ecurity/

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

1 edit

said by Freds_Fone:

Here's a fascinating background article on known security deficiencies with the Arris models -> »www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe···ecurity/

That article is a year old, we are not Time Warner and the specifics of the issue were addressed long ago by TWC and they were never a factor for us because we do things differently. We have addressed this numerous times in the forums here btw...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~