Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Hypermiling 47.7MPG or more

Tested out the Hypermiling was getting average 47.7MPG

only use 1.8 gallons to get to my distention on a 86 mile trip
it would have been much higher MPG if I did not get stuck on the 405 bumper to bumper traffic.

"INST MPG" sad between 73 and 99+ MPG Hypermiling @ 55-80MPH
(maxes out at "99" MPG on the computer)
anyone else test it out

Seems very practical, only on the freeway even in medium to heavy traffic.. I expect mileage will not be as impressive though.

I did have a down hill advantage as well.

Anonuser

join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

Not bad, in my Cube, I could easially get 42+mpg (rated at 32mpg freeway). Did even better a few times. Thats a giant toaster on wheels :P

What are you driving?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Anonuser:

Not bad, in my Cube, I could easially get 42+mpg (rated at 32mpg freeway). Did even better a few times. Thats a giant toaster on wheels :P

What are you driving?

2003 impala with L36 3.8L v6 engine. 200hp . 87 octane fuel used.
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Anonymous_

That isn't tailgating semi trucks is it?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

said by nonymous:

gravitational powered cars use less gas that is why I said downhill assisted The car that I have it will plow through the wind at 75-80mph, this is where the wind resistance no longer be comes a issue.

Wind resistance is a issue at between 55MPH and 70mph.

wind resistance is neutral at 45-50mph
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by Anonymous_:

said by nonymous:

gravitational powered cars use less gas that is why I said downhill assisted The car that I have it will plow through the wind at 75-80mph, this is where the wind resistance no longer be comes a issue.

What the hell are you talking about? What the hell is a "gravitational powered car"? I want some of whatever it is your drinking!
--
Hey retard, a Low Frequency Effects Channel is a subwoofer.

Guess who?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

said by H_T_R_N:

I want some of whatever it is your drinking!

This may be the cause of the distention referred to in the first post.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to H_T_R_N

said by H_T_R_N:

said by Anonymous_:

said by nonymous:

What the hell are you talking about? What the hell is a "gravitational powered car"? I want some of whatever it is your drinking!

It should have been gravity powered, Auto correct screwed it up

gravity powered = down hill

For stupid people, version:

the car wheels rolls down hill without any power from the engine being used. = less gas used i.e idle.

The car will roll to about 50mph before wind resistance takes place.

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by Anonymous_:

It should have been gravity powered, Auto correct screwed it up

gravity powered = down hill

For stupid people, version:

the car wheels rolls down hill without any power from the engine being used. = less gas used i.e idle.

The car will roll to about 50mph before wind resistance takes place.

So there is only resistance between 50 and 80 MPH? So if the wheels are the only thing rolling down the hill how would the engine apply power anyway? Again I need to find whatever it is you are drinking and buy a bunch of it!!
--

Guess who?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Anonymous_

Hypermiling only works if you live in a hilly area without rush-hour traffic. Most of the "hyper-milers" I see in the DC area drive Priuses (I refuse to say Prii) and go about 40 on the Beltway where the average speed is 65. As for gas mileage, I average about 30MPG in my Sentra (2.0).

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to Anonymous_

You should really only consider your fuel-economy rates in a "round-trip" scenario. You were able to get 47mpg down-hill with a tailwind, one way. I suspect the return trip will have less impressive numbers.

And for those of you not familiar with Hypermiling, (I was not) it is basically the "art" of trying to squeeze the best fuel efficency out of a given car (anything from over-inflaiting tires, using low viscosity engine oil, removing back seats, only carrying a 1/4 tank of gas, not using AC, drifting, cutting a hole in the floor for Flinstone propulsion, etc.).
--
/)_/) "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."
( . . )
C(")(")

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
reply to H_T_R_N

pressing the gas people tend to do that.

I noticed tonight that the little bumps in the road were causing loss in speed.

heebz6020

join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Anonymous_

Do you guys do this for fun ? Just to see what mileage you can get ?
Sorry but it would drive me INSANE to drive like that. Half the time I'm driving I'm looking for ways to go WOT, but hardly ever get a chance due to traffic.
--
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.....

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by heebz6020:

Do you guys do this for fun ? Just to see what mileage you can get ?
Sorry but it would drive me INSANE to drive like that. Half the time I'm driving I'm looking for ways to go WOT, but hardly ever get a chance due to traffic.

I wouldn't turn off the car at a red light that is very dangerous to do so.
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

heebz6020

join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI

???

ha...I'm looking for ways to get my car to Wide Open Throttle...

I guess I'm doing my best to keep oil companies in business
--
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.....

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to saillaw

said by saillaw:

You should really only consider your fuel-economy rates in a "round-trip" scenario. You were able to get 47mpg down-hill with a tailwind, one way. I suspect the return trip will have less impressive numbers.

And for those of you not familiar with Hypermiling, (I was not) it is basically the "art" of trying to squeeze the best fuel efficency out of a given car (anything from over-inflaiting tires, using low viscosity engine oil, removing back seats, only carrying a 1/4 tank of gas, not using AC, drifting, cutting a hole in the floor for Flinstone propulsion, etc.).

So if you have a round trip on a hill better to have a full tank going down and an empty tank going up hill.
Thing is a round trip would cancel some of the gas saving coasting downhill.
Also coasting downhill you may put more use on the brakes thus wearing them out sooner. Unless you just keep going faster and faster on a step hill. Some engine baking on a step hill takes excessive wear and tear off the brakes.

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by nonymous:

said by saillaw:

So if you have a round trip on a hill better to have a full tank going down and an empty tank going up hill.
Also coasting downhill you may put more use on the brakes thus wearing them out sooner. Unless you just keep going faster and faster on a step hill. Some engine baking on a step hill takes excessive wear and tear off the brakes.

Your right, you should only ever drive downhill. Going back up is so 1970!
--

Guess who?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

said by saillaw:

1 trip I made before I did not use the brakes at all on the south 14. (was very light traffic at the time) speed was about 60MPH to 80MPH (varies as it's up/down hill in a few parts). It was tell I got to the south I5 freeway did I use them.

small bumps in the road automatically keep the speed in check. As every time you go over one of the "small bumps" in the road it slows you down by 1MPH or sometimes 2MPH

25.5MPG averaged over 500 miles. in the last week 50/50 city mixed EPA combined is only 22
I think the averaged would have been higher if it was not for a all the traffic in LA