All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cfeier
join:2008-10-22

cfeier

DNS timeouts on one ISP only -- all servers ping

Okay, I'm in an unusual living situation right now -- renting a room. The gentleman who is needing boarders is in his 60s and not technically inclined.

My laptop, which works fine on any other Internet connection, using either DHCP-assigned DNS servers or Google DNS servers, continuously has DNS timeout errors, despite being able to ping the DNS servers in question. The timeouts are always much worse in the first five minutes the laptop is turned on.

The cable provider (Fidelity) says the connect looks okay, the signal levels do look fine in the broadband gateway (the password was defaulted and the older gentleman said I was free to peek around). I tried the DNSBenchMark tool and noted that after a limited number of attempts at different DNS servers they all simply time out.

I wonder if the ISP is somehow filtering DNS traffic or thinking that the DNS requests from my system are spam. Other users on the gateway describe the same problem, and it occurs whether going through wireless or wired ports. The DNSBenchmark tool does pretty much spam requests so if it's some kind of spam/abuse filter causing problems, that might make sense. The gateway assigns to my computer the actual DNS servers, not gateway-based DNS, FWIW.

Except that if it's trying to filter abuse, it's filtering legitimate traffic too, and has made it where at times the connect is unusable. Since the laptop works fine using defaut or Google DNS, I don't think it's anything with the way my computer is configured. The old man just thinks because he lives in the country his Internet should take 7 attempts to load a page.

Helpful info:

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 531000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File
Security Disabled Disabled
Downstream Channel 0
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM256
Channel ID 110 Symbol rate 5360537 sym/sec
Downstream Frequency 531000000 Hz Downstream Power -6.1 dBmV
SNR 35.8 dBmV
Upstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM64
Channel ID 3 Symbol rate 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 24000000 Hz Upstream Power 44.2 dBmV

-----

As you can see, signal levels are good.

Gateway info:

Information
Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 2.0
Hardware Version d104
Software Version V4.4.2.2R03.3-RG
Cable MAC Address e0:91:f5:f1:XX:XX
Device MAC Address e0:91:f5:f1:XX:XX
Cable Modem Serial Number 2BN2117D0XXXX
CM certificate Installed
Status
System Up Time 0 days 00h:48m:45s
Network Access Allowed
Device IP Address 24.XX.XX.XX

-----

Yes, older cable infrastructure but firmware appears UTD and resetting gateway does nothing to change behavior.