how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aaron1312

join:2012-10-10
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

[AZ] Magic Jack - Does it work with Cox?

Hi guys, my name is Aaron. I know this may belong in the VOIP section, but this is particular to the internet provider. I was thinking about purchasing MagicJack for a home phone, the only thing drawing me back at this time is that I've seen a number of mixed reviews online that it may require port 80, and unfortunately, Cox has done the only poor choice that I can think of since I've had the service with the lame decision to block this. After chatting with a representative, they didn't exactly answer the question directly. So the real question is, do you have Cox and are you able to use your Magic Jack Plus with it?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

There's not reason it shouldn't work however it is beyond the scope of our technical support to troubleshoot issues with it.

aaron1312

Phoenix, AZ

Thank you for the timely reply. I understand that it's beyond your scope, but have you heard of it working with other customers? Thank you again.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to aaron1312

I don't know why a voip device would need to have an inbound port open, especially one like port 80.

From my experience with other voip phones and services, they establish an outbound connection to the voip/sip provider for voice traffic to travel over.

Given the popularity of the magicjack device and service, I imagine if it didn't work on Cox's network there would be quite a few people complaining about it.

aaron1312

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Nick, VOIP is a fuzzy area for me but that's just about the answer I was looking for.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

Mind if I ask what is making you consider MJ aaron1312 See Profile? If you are already subscribing to Cox HSI we've got some pretty attractive offers on Cox home phone.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to aaron1312

I wouldn't use magic jack as it is a rather clumsy and cheesy device.

I'd get an obi100 and use it with google voice. There is no recurring fee ever (you buy the device and it is yours forever) and it has good enough line quality that it works with my fax machine, and there's no computer software or other messy stuff to deal with.

It works with almost any VoIP provider you can name, which includes google voice, which happens to be completely free for all calls in the US and Canada.

It's nice because I basically just paid a one time cost of $40 for my fax line, as opposed to paying Cox $13+ (after taxes and fees) every month.

aaron1312

Phoenix, AZ
reply to CoxJimR

Price, I'm already paying too much for internet, but it's worth it to me.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

I'd get an obi100 and use it with google voice. There is no recurring fee ever (you buy the device and it is yours forever) and it has good enough line quality that it works with my fax machine, and there's no computer software or other messy stuff to deal with.

It works with almost any VoIP provider you can name, which includes google voice, which happens to be completely free for all calls in the US and Canada.

It's nice because I basically just paid a one time cost of $40 for my fax line, as opposed to paying Cox $13+ (after taxes and fees) every month.

agreed when I used one the hard broke just unpluging from the pc.

aaron1312

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

I wasn't even thinking enough on the subject to think of Google at the time. Thanks man, you seriously saved the day!

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to CoxJimR

It works, Just not very well...

But that is a MagicJack issue. Nothing to do with Cox...

Port 80 is not needed.

FMAcil

@cox.net
reply to aaron1312

I have been using Ooma while in Arizona with Cox no problem.
Works great even on the basic 5mb plan.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to aaron1312

Cox only blocks INBOUND port 80. They do not block outbound port 80. The device probably uses outbound port 80 to connect to the servers. Web servers run on port 80 so when you go to a website, you computer contacts that server on port 80. Cox blocks port 80 inbound so that you cannot run a web server from your home so you have to buy business so you can run a server out of your home because since cox blocks inbound port 80, users cannot connect to your web server since it's running on port 80 and it would be an inbound connection (user connecting to your site)

Check out this link:
»ww2.cox.com/residential/orangeco···00000000

You'll see cox only blocks inbound port 80, not outbound.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to aaron1312

said by aaron1312:

Not to get all sales on you, but I'll bet we could bundle you up into a better deal for both products for not much more money. If you want to send me a PM with your info, I would be glad to have someone estimate it for you.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to MineCoast

said by MineCoast:

Cox only blocks INBOUND port 80. They do not block outbound port 80. The device probably uses outbound port 80 to connect to the servers. Web servers run on port 80 so when you go to a website, you computer contacts that server on port 80. Cox blocks port 80 inbound so that you cannot run a web server from your home so you have to buy business so you can run a server out of your home because since cox blocks inbound port 80, users cannot connect to your web server since it's running on port 80 and it would be an inbound connection (user connecting to your site)

Check out this link:
»ww2.cox.com/residential/orangeco···00000000

You'll see cox only blocks inbound port 80, not outbound.

To be more precise, it's a stateful firewall that blocks a SYN flagged packet if no session had already been established on that socket. (Socket being a sourceip:sourceport destip:destport pair.) They do the same on port 25 to prevent the use of spam relays.

DarkFlow

join:2011-09-04
Lakeside, CA
reply to CoxJimR

said by CoxJimR:

Mind if I ask what is making you consider MJ aaron1312 See Profile? If you are already subscribing to Cox HSI we've got some pretty attractive offers on Cox home phone.

I wouldn't call 18.99 for just barebones phone that does not even have caller id or voicemail "attractive". Even the next one at $22 is not worth it since it does not included LD.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

I pay $12.12 with Vonage basictalk, it works like a champ. If Cox offered their phone service that cheap, I'd switch. Just be warned. They don't offer support in the USA but overseas.

-Rob

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to CoxJimR

said by CoxJimR:

said by aaron1312:

Not to get all sales on you, but I'll bet we could bundle you up into a better deal for both products for not much more money. If you want to send me a PM with your info, I would be glad to have someone estimate it for you.

highly unlikely cox could beat mj offering. even if they gave phone FREE, the unfees and equipment charges would exceed $1.70 a month which is what mj costs. if one wants RELIABLE phone service then mj is in no way the best choice.
--
Despises any post with strings.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA

I won't speak to competitor offers or performance. Glad to see what we can do on long term offers if people have interest PM me. I need to get this to the individual markets to handle. I am just a suit.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Rob_

Vonage is now available at WM stores for $9.99 per month no contracts. Its under the brand of Basic Talk but it is Vonage.

MysteryGoat

join:2009-04-05
Niceville, FL
reply to aaron1312

I only scanned the thread but I didn't see anyone actually say they were using it. I am and I haven't had a problem with it. Got my old phone number even.

Quality is fine, sends and receives calls without a problem. Do have to dial the area code even for local numbers but that's more a convenience issue more than anything. And it likes to cut you off after like 2 hours of talking. Those are the only issues but they don't relate to Cox.

$20 a year but I went ahead and paid $100 for 5 years with free long distance. Oh, and I have free caller ID for the first time in my life which is pretty cool.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by MysteryGoat:

I only scanned the thread but I didn't see anyone actually say they were using it. I am and I haven't had a problem with it. Got my old phone number even.

Quality is fine, sends and receives calls without a problem. Do have to dial the area code even for local numbers but that's more a convenience issue more than anything. And it likes to cut you off after like 2 hours of talking. Those are the only issues but they don't relate to Cox.

$20 a year but I went ahead and paid $100 for 5 years with free long distance. Oh, and I have free caller ID for the first time in my life which is pretty cool.

2 hours? wow. call length limit was 30 minutes when i had i mj.
--
Despises any post with strings.

kenpete

join:2006-07-07
Gloucester, VA
reply to Rob_

If you have a Verizon Cell account VZ provides a box that connects to a std home phone (or wireless Master unit) that works as an extension phone on your cell account. Includes unlimited voice, Caller ID, fwding, + UNLIMITED LD like a cell phone...$20 / month.
KennyPete

nettalker

@cox.net
reply to aaron1312

Been with Nettalk for little over 2 years, never dropped a call and fax works just fine.