spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kayt

@shawcable.net

Upgrading from an 2700HG-E

I have an 2700HG-E. If I phone up Telus will they upgrade me to an actiontec v1000? I want to use it in bridging mode which seems next to impossible with the 2wire.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

Since you're still on ADSL2+, why not ask for a SpeedTouch 516 instead?

I believe Telus still hands out the 516 for business ADSL2+ services, but you can also get them for residential ADSL2+. Getting the CSRs to send you one however can be like pulling teeth, but it's doable.

kayt

@shawcable.net

I'll try for the SpeedTouch. I really hate the modem-router combo, so that would be ideal. I don't really like arguing on the phone though, but perhaps it's worth it for having less of a headache with hardware.
My sister said she got a modem only. The conversation went like this:
Sis: I want just a modem, no router
CSR: There the same
Sis: No there not.
CSR: Okay, can you hold on.
* a few minutes pass *
CSR: Okay we're sending you a modem.

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
kudos:1

Speedtouches are all over kijiji, etc. too

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to kayt

TELUS will be phasing out their ADSL2+ profiles in favour of VDSL2. I would suggest just using the modem that TELUS gives you.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

said by pfak:

TELUS will be phasing out their ADSL2+ profiles in favour of VDSL2.

Will Telus still using aDSL2+ for longer distance?

But I do see that Telus would start off with a vDSL2 profile and then switch to aDSL2+ if issues arise or distance. So if the modem Gateway does not negotiate for vDSL2 first, screaming from the customer commences.

vDSL is only a faint dream for users stuck on all the old aDSL hardware scattered across the Telus footprint. Especially when all the DSL hardware is in the CO and is a bit more work to replace than just a plopping down a Dslam in the local neighborhood.

--
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. ---Nietzsche