Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
kudos:2

2 recommendations

[Updated] Free: PDF-XChange Viewer - v2.5.211 - Jun 17/13

The No.1 rated BEST PDF Reader - as voted by Life Hacker Readers by a 2-1 margin for the 2nd year in a row!

Those wishing to View/Modify or perform simple editing and even OCR Image based PDF files on their Windows PC's now have a FREE pdf reader alternative to the Adobe Reader! The PDF-XChange Viewer is smaller, faster and more feature rich than any other FREE PDF Reader/ PDF Viewer/ PDF Editor available. This free pdf viewer download also allows users to try the extended functionality offered by the PDF-XChange Viewer 'PRO' in evaluation mode - for free. No PDF reader or Viewer offers more features than PDF-XChange - or does so without compromising performance and quality, checkout the feature list below and save $100's in unnecessary expenditure on your PDF software today. Also included are the very powerful PDF-XChange Shell Extensions and iFilter.

The licensed PDF-XChange Viewer 'PRO', is a PDF creator in it's own right, allowing users to create PDF files directly from scanners, image files and can even take a .txt or a .rtf file and convert it to PDF or build your PDF document from scratch.

The FREE OCR functionality supports a base language set of English, French, German & Spanish.

Get it HERE.

Version history HERE.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
For those downloading this reader:

Unfortunately, the installation package installs the Tracker Ask browser toolbar by default. Users should use care in the installation process and most will opt out of the default to avoid including this annoying additional software.

For those interested in comparisons, as I was:

»pdf-xchange-viewer.en.softonic.c···f-reader

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
kudos:2

1 edit
That hasn't been my experience today. I installed the new version (downloaded from the website). No Tracker Ask browser toolbar installed or offered. YMMV. Thanks for the link...I may give Nitro a try for a change.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Nitro conveniently installs a print-to-PDF driver, but overall I found it slower and not as intuitive as PDF XChange. I used Nitro for about a month before going back.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3
reply to Pentangle
I also tried Nitro a couple of months ago but didn't really like it. I still prefer PDF-XChange Viewer.

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
said by Buddel:

I also tried Nitro a couple of months ago but didn't really like it. I still prefer PDF-XChange Viewer.

Ditto.
--
If I can only find my keys...

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Pentangle
Thanks bud