Re: Java SE Version 7 Update 25 Released

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...........releases it is...thnks
jd

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1
reply to jmorlan
The browser add-on is your friend. Just like the program Bonzi Buddy!

Jaaaaaava

@151.190.40.x
reply to Mele20
I download both the 32-bit and 64-bit offline installers, and install both on Win7 and Win8 (so that's 4 installs total). Never had a problem. Never asks about third-party software.

Why do I use it? One word: Minecraft.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Most do or should deselect Jusched.exe from MSCONFIG if you don't want Java phoning home all the time.

It's not "phoning home" in a negative sense. It's just checking for updates, which is exactly the kind of thing you DON'T want to disable considering the tone of these threads.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Alvaro Bautista ?

Uncanny resemblance! No.. Jared Leto.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by jaykaykay:

Finally.

I think not Expect another version in the next few months...

Never tried to say it was a 'final', goofy. With java, there's never an end to updates. It's kind of like a never ending, bad odor. You can't get rid of it no matter what you do. Even if you don't use it, you have to keep it cleaned up.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by jaykaykay:

With java, there's never an end to updates.

Sorta like a gummint project or program--never ending. Gets bigger and bigger (more bloated).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to Dustyn
At first glance, I thought that this guy was this one.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
reply to Dustyn
Uncanny, who's Jared Leto ?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to ctggzg
I disagree - those that want to be completely in control of what their Oracle software does, will disable that item plus whatever is in the control panel it creates.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

No.. Jared Leto.

Whoosh!

Who? Should I know/care?
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Uncanny, who's Jared Leto ?

Google is your friend.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by Dustyn:

Google is your friend.

Actually they're not but I use their search engine (via an anonymising proxy)
--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Dustyn
As is Wikipedia RIP - James Gadnolfini

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Triple Helix
Did this update do something weird with the security policies?

I used to be able to run the pingtest.net test without any problems, but after updating I now get the following exception in all browsers for all servers unless I grant permission to do everything everywhere:

quote:
Exception in thread "WatchThread" java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.net.SocketPermission" "wdc.speedtest.net" "resolve")

the "wdc.speedtest.net" changes for difference servers obviously. I last ran this test back on March 17th and it worked fine.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

war59312

join:2001-03-02
Elgin, SC
reply to Triple Helix
How to disable the Java web plug-in in Internet Explorer:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2751647

Highly recommended for those that do NOT use IE.
--
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
It's easier to just disable Java in IE under Tools/Manage Addons/All Addons and then simply highlight Java entries and toggle from "enabled" to "disabled". You can see it in my screen shot in my previous post.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to Triple Helix
What's the difference between v7.0.250.17 and v7.0.250.16?

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by jmorlan:

What's the difference between v7.0.250.17 and v7.0.250.16?

I wonder also as I can't find any info but the File Hashes and Digital Signatures have changed from the 18th and from today?

TH
--
Triple Helix - Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012/14
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Thanks. Just went and downloaded b17.

Attempting to install b17 over b16 gives the message above.

Double OH 7

join:2009-10-19
reply to Morac
said by Morac:

Did this update do something weird with the security policies?

I used to be able to run the pingtest.net test without any problems, but after updating I now get the following exception in all browsers for all servers unless I grant permission to do everything everywhere:

quote:
Exception in thread "WatchThread" java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.net.SocketPermission" "wdc.speedtest.net" "resolve")

the "wdc.speedtest.net" changes for difference servers obviously. I last ran this test back on March 17th and it worked fine.

For me pingtest.net just goes into a loop for the packet loss test. Spent hours trying to fix it before I found out others were having problems with Java's update and pingtest.net.

Was taking the just wait it out route... Not sure now.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I never could do that test on XP Pro computer. I had forgotten about it until just now. So, I did it on my Win 8 computer but it couldn't do the packet loss test. It says either I don't have Java installed or a firewall is blocking ICMP echo request.

I do have Java installed and enabled on Opera and the only firewall is Windows Firewall that is configured to allow ICMP echo request. I can't say if the Java update is the cause of the problem because I never could do pingtest on the XP computer at all (not just the packet loss part) and never thought to do on the Win 8 computer until just now.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

phxuser

join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ
Pingtest.net has fixed their Java problem and the test now completes!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Triple Helix
I just installed this latest version of Java on my XP Pro machine. It works fine BUT the Java Control Panel is MISSING now in Control Panel.
--

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
Are you in Classic View? Did you scroll and look way down at the bottom of all the Control Panel icons? Some users are finding it down there.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Click for full size
This is on XP Pro. The Control Panel is not cluttered on it as there are not that many icons so you can easily see all in a glance with no vertical scroll bar even present. There is a hole now in Control Panel where it used to be. (XP can spell better than Win 8 so I doubt it would put it out of correct spelling order for the icons but Win 8 might ....I have a hard time finding stuff in Win 8 control panel because it doesn't spell (alphabetize properly).

I can't remember....in XP if I click on "Remove" in Add/Remove Programs does that give me an option to repair it? I think what messed up was Process Guard blocked a Java driver. I should have temporarily turned off PG as when it blocks a driver it doesn't warn you first but just makes the tray icon turn red which I frequently don't notice right away. I should have been able to tell PG to allow the driver but stupidly, I rebooted, then was going to tell it to allow the driver. but, I am not sure that Java would install it after the fact as Java is working fine....I did a Java speed test and I got prompted about it.

I can't believe I forget so easily! I used PG for YEARS...here I have had Win 8 for 7 months and not used XP much at all and forgot stuff like this.

If I remove it...does that put me back to the version I had previously? I always install on top. Maybe I better look and see when the latest restore point was made. Ahaaa.....I always liked System Restore in XP. It is easy and quick to reach (unlike Win 8) and good ole XP made a restore point before removing the earlier Java version. I didn't have to remember to make one. I had a lot of trouble getting Oracle to let me download Java as it kept saying I hadn't accepted the EULA....so, I think I will stick the downloaded full installer on my external hard drive, do system restore and then install again...all this because my memory is bad.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

2 edits
reply to jupitermoon
I used System Restore. After the "successful" message for Restore, as the computer booted to the desktop, I got two instances of Windows Error Reporting popup.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 7/3/2013
Time: 11:16:56 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MELE
Description:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf9535df, parameter3 a6837c00, parameter4 00000000.

That's a BSOD yet the computer kept booting. I didn't get a blue screen. When it finished booting, I checked System Properties for Startup and Recovery and it was still set as I always have it set...to NOT automatically reboot on a BSOD. It didn't appear to reboot anyway....it "burped", showed me the two Windows Error Reporting boxes (the same thing both of them) and kept on loading the desktop.

I hope that is not indicative of bad RAM, bad Power Supply, etc.

Anyhow, I am back to the previous Java version and I have the Java Control Panel back in Control Panel. I'm going to leave it like that...I am not going to mess with Java any further.

EDIT: Opera 12 does NOT like this older version of Java! It crashed Opera when I tried to bypass the warning about it being an older version (I just wanted to do a Web100 speed test). The only way to get Opera to run was to disable Java. It should work on Fx4 or an older version of Opera though (I have a bunch of Opera versions on XP).

Fx4 and even IE 6 crashed when I tried to use the older Java. Even in IE 6, I got a popup that the version was insecure and I clicked to ignore it and even IE 6 crashed!

So, finally, I uninstalled Java, made a restore point with no Java (and noticed that the ONLY restore points I have on XP computer is the one System Restore made when I first tried to update Java and ONLY ONE OTHER back in 2012!!) Then I disabled PG and installed the latest Java and, sigh of relief, it works on Fx 4!
--