spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sgpm
join:2007-10-09
Perrysville, OH

sgpm

[DSL] Ordering DSL

A couple of months ago the local phone company (Frontier) tried to sell us DSL but when the technicians came to install it they found that even with a loop extender they could only provision us for something like ~300Kbits. Since their policy is not to sell anything less than 1Mbit they just canceled the order.

I was wondering - assuming that such a low speed can technically work - if we can place the order through you guys? We don't mind paying the $15/m for your basic plan even though we will be getting much less. Compared to the 31 Kbits dial-up we now have, 300 Kbits is super fast!!!

We do have an account with you for the dial-up and I can provide more info once someone responds.

Thanks,
Gregory

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Mmmph. Even if we can process such an order... I fully expect the line would probably be very intermittent. The lowest provisioning I'm aware of is 384Kbps - which your ~300 doesn't even reach. So it wouldn't really work. If we were speaking with a hypothetical, untested line, I might have been hopeful for a minor miracle (maybe above-average gauge cable, for example) - but that ~300Kbps is an estimate provided to you by an install tech? That's based on actual readings, not projected hypotheticals, so I'd trust them when they say that.

So... no. I don't think the line would work. If you want to try calling in to our sales department and see if they're able to place the order, I can't stop you, but I really don't think it'd work, unfortunately.
sgpm
join:2007-10-09
Perrysville, OH

sgpm

said by dslx_nick:

... but that ~300Kbps is an estimate provided to you by an install tech?...

We were not here when the technicians came. It was the customer support person that called later that said something to that effect. She may have said/meant 384 Kbits, I don't remember exactly.

Is it possible on your end to investigate this before we actually place any order? This is our only option unfortunately. Even the local WISP cannot provide service here and Verizon - the only wireless carrier that covers this area - is just too expensive for us.

Thanks,
Gregory

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

My hands will be somewhat tied since we didn't request that initial dispatch out, but go ahead and send me a PM with your phone number and address and I'll see what I can find.