uniqs
share rss forum feed

nony
Premium
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

Verizon's Dishonest Marketing: Cease and Desist

I just got this robo call on my answering machine -

This is Denise, Verizon manager for New York. There have been landline service issues in your area recently and we want to apologize if you have been inconvenienced. To better serve you we would like to transition your phone service to our fiber network. There is absolutely no charge to make this transition. You will keep the same voice service at the same rate you are paying now. One of our expert technicians will complete the work, and ensure that your services are working properly. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to continuing to serve you. Press 1 now or call us at 1-877-692-3485 today, so we can schedule an appointment convenient for you to transition you to our best most reliable network.

I never had a service outage, and Verizon damn well knows that to be the case.

I plan to keep my pots line.

I will be filing a complaint with the New York State Public Service Commission for obvious reasons.

-nony

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
I hate to sound like a Verizon apologist but what did you find dishonest?

quote:
There have been landline service issues in your area recently and we want to apologize if you have been inconvenienced.
Says your area not your line.

/tom

AlFrugal

@verizon.net
reply to nony
I have received the identical call off-and-on for the past year. I'm in Dutchess County NY. (unaffected by Sandy). I'm unaware of service issues in "my area" and suspect this is a fabrication.

To compound this, I received a mass mailing from a Verizon marketing executive with a "personal invitation" to switch to FIOS. There was nothing whatsoever "personal" about this mailing.
Expand your moderator at work

Chrimos9

join:2011-07-14
Providence, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nony

Re: Verizon's Dishonest Marketing: Cease and Desist

said by nony:

This is Denise, Verizon manager for New York. There have been landline service issues in your area recently and we want to apologize if you have been inconvenienced. To better serve you we would like to transition your phone service to our fiber network. There is absolutely no charge to make this transition. You will keep the same voice service at the same rate you are paying now. One of our expert technicians will complete the work, and ensure that your services are working properly. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to continuing to serve you. Press 1 now or call us at 1-877-692-3485 today, so we can schedule an appointment convenient for you to transition you to our best most reliable network.
-nony

This is the similar robo call we got last week, I think Thursday or Friday. This robo called happened after a day we told the guys I want to op out of there telemarketing program and do not contact us about there fios service.

The day before this automated machine the person on the other line was getting hostile in terms of switching us over to Fios. First it was "we have fixed your line multiple times." -verizon
"huh? I don't remember making any service calls" - me
"Well, we fix your line without you knowing behind the scene when we detect a problem." - Verizon
"I didn't get any email or notice about repairs" -me
"Well I am telling you now, and because of these multiple repairs you need to change over to Fios, which is reliable and stable then your current service." - Verizon
"Not interested in switching over"-me
"If your service goes down again we can't guarantee the quality of service when we fix it." - verizon
" I have had reliable service for 9 years, I have not had one down time or any thing wrong with my phone service." - me
"We have worked on your line so you never notice and we are telling you now because the transition will only take a day and you will be paying the same price as you are now." - Verizon

After a few skeptical questions and pushy comments I informed him I don't want calls about Verizon fios anymore. I was not interested.

The thing is now I am getting bombarded with mail from both Cox and Verizon.... >.>

Verizon flier says We can get 15/5 tv and phone for 69.99 month 1 year contract.
Cox is 89.99 month for all three bundle 2 year contract price guarantee.

My current bill is $29.99 for DSL + $20 for flat rate(include taxes and fees) Verizon + $4.78 month International one from At&t.
yes we get paper bills for $4.00 for long distance. Not that we make international calls lately..

$0 for tv because we use rabbit ears.

They have been doing deceptive calls for years, trying to get people to switch to the new network. My only concern is reliability because we have suffered a few times with power outages. + buy your own battery is a major turn off. Especially if it will constantly beep if you choose to remove it. Sometimes a few seconds and when a major storm hits 2 days max. We do live on a busy street but they are on a separate lines so when power is restored we are the block that is still dark...

When you do get a call just tell them you want to OPT OUT and remove my number from the call list.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to AlFrugal
They took it down a notch from the following egregious version -

»consumerist.com/2012/03/21/veriz···upgrade/

where they claimed that they "needed" to transition you.

-nony

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to nony
I'd take the FiOS offering as soon as it became available to my residence.

I've heard it is one of the best ISPs out there.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

2 edits
I advise my friends and family to retain their POTS line and terminate it with a phone that doesn't require AC to operate. (Some high-end phones may require AC for full funtionality, but have also been engineered to operate off of the central office power alone.)

Consider that during a power outage, if you only have a VOIP line (FIOS, TWC, etc) you are screwed, since your terminating device requires AC to operate. As was the case during Superstorm Sandy - in my neighborhood.

-nony

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

said by nony:

I advise my friends and family to retain their POTS line and terminate it with a phone that doesn't require AC to operate. (Some high-end phones may require AC for full funtionality, but have also been engineered to operate off of the central office power alone.)

Consider that during a power outage, if you only have a VOIP line (FIOS, TWC, etc) you are screwed, since your terminating device requires AC to operate. As was the case during Superstorm Sandy - in my neighborhood.

-nony

That's what a generator or a UPS is for. I've been using a UPS with my cordless Phones for almost twnety years. And I use a UPS with my ONT that will cover me for 18 hourse before the ONT BBU will kick in.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

4 edits

1 recommendation

An on-premises generator/UPS is not a viable option for all subscribers (and may be insufficient to provide continuous PSTN voice service in HFC buildouts where there are multiple power-dependent single points of failure).

In general, the BBU provides up to 8 hours of Digital Voice service during a power outage, after which you are SOL.

This is why Verizon's pitch is so dishonest -

The only landline service outages in my area recently only brought down the phone service of TWC/FIOS voice subscribers (during Superstorm Sandy), while all POTS line subscribers had continuous voice service.

In reality, Verizon should apologize to those subscribers who lost their voice service, specifically, because they were transitioned off of their copper circuits and were not provided with the equivalent reliability that they lost by relinquishing their POTS lines.

-nony