spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

Charter Communications as upstream provider?

Anyone use Charter as their provider? I have a perfect POP I can setup that has Charter fed to the building already.

Debating contacting them to see if there is anything they can do.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

I am not but I do know that another local ISP/CLEC that is. They are also using them for circuit aggregation.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

I wonder if they would give me something via DOCSIS? Or can they give me something else via their copper in the building still.

I am not too sure how they operate either. I am just starting out, debating just getting a business account via docsis and see where I go from there.

bates

join:2013-02-20
reply to TheHox

From what I'm told, Charter has issued a complete ban on new ISP accounts at the moment. They found a WISP who was using them as a provider that had expanded back into Charter's territory and was competing with Charter for the customer base. Currently, management is deciding how to proceed (legally, practically, etc) and noone is sure what their final decision will look like. They may not open this avenue up again.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to TheHox

hmm I know couple of WISP's using charter so I dont know where you heard that bates... The agreement was they couldnt compete in the same town where charter was in at.

WISPer
Premium
join:2013-06-20
San Luis Obispo, CA

1 recommendation

reply to TheHox

Yeah I work with a local WISP that uses Charter as their upstream provider. I've also worked with Charter for about 4 years in the past. I wouldn't count on their coax network to feed anything. We've had Charter customers coming to us wanting to switch and willing to pay double for a tenth of the speed because of how bad their coax network is. On the other hand Charter fiber works great. I don't see how you can compete with Charter's 100 meg plans anyhow. For $100 it's hard to beat (other than the lame upload I guess).

bates

join:2013-02-20
reply to treichhart

I didn't say they were kicking existing customers off. It's a moratorium on accepting new ISP accounts. I heard it from one of their corporate region managers who was meeting with VP's to discuss this issue among others.

slythesis

@charter.com

"It's a moratorium on accepting new ISP accounts."
Absolutely untrue Bates....from my own personal experience.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

said by slythesis :

"It's a moratorium on accepting new ISP accounts."
Absolutely untrue Bates....from my own personal experience.

Not totally, just recently charter wouldn't even sell layer 2 transport to a WISP so they could pick up bandwidth elsewhere. That was through direct sales, and they ended up going to the channel and went up to the VP level to get things pushed through. I don't think it is necessarily a moratorium on new ISP accounts, but they can anytime they feel like it.

SOWisp

@ashlandfiber.net

I can tell you that its absolute policy now. No more BH for WISPs. And I will bet that the other Big Boys won't be too far behind on this subject.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to TheHox

If you talk to right people like in carrier group I am sure they will get this pushed into it. Trust me regular business reps wont be able to do it because I had to deal with this same problem with TWC so I had to talk to carrier rep to allow me to resell bandwidth.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to TheHox

Other than you competing in their own footprint, almost everything is negotiable if you go high enough.