uniqs
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn to CylonRed

to CylonRed

Re: Help. Toilet maybe leaking? Not sure

said by CylonRed:

I don't see where the OP would have 'liability' - they already own the house and it looks to be the house they live in (ie: not a rental).

Plenty of valid suggestions without hiring a 3rd party.

That was not my point.

The OP said that all of his bathrooms have caulking around toilets. So unless, the manufacturer recommended caulking (which I highly doubt), this is a yellow flag for problems. This means that whoever did that did not know what they were doing OR there has been a leakage problem in the past - or some other similar scenario.

The liability factor comes in when you hire a 'professional' who provides you with their findings. You then hire someone to fix the problem, they tear down the ceiling and find out that there was nothing there to begin with. You now have another problem which was caused by incorrectly diagnosing the problematic area by that 'professional'. This is when you can hold that professional responsible. UNLESS - you follow the advice of doing this yourself and then you can hold yourself responsible. Again, we are talking about possible water leakage which we call the 'biggest enemy of the house' and comparing it to a $100 service - not a bad idea.

There is a reason why there is a $30 moisture meter and a $450 moisture meter in the market - dont kid yourself, you are smarter than that.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
That was not my point.

The OP said that all of his bathrooms have caulking around toilets. So unless, the manufacturer recommended caulking (which I highly doubt), this is a yellow flag for problems. This means that whoever did that did not know what they were doing OR there has been a leakage problem in the past - or some other similar scenario.
Plenty of folks here use caulking around the toilet - I don't but many do. Though those that do leave part of the toilet not caulked (usually the back part). There seems to be no consensus among professionals either on the need or no need for caulking.

I never said the point of your entire post was a liability issue. I am just saying - there is no liability issue with the OP from their posts. Diagnosing a water issue is not rocket science and should not need a 3rd party. If they choose, they can get a 3rd party opinion and likely it will be a good diagnosis for any remotely closely professional person. That professional need not be a home inspector - not sure why they would be the one to contact - a plumber would be far more appropriate - imho.
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn

said by CylonRed:

That professional need not be a home inspector - not sure why they would be the one to contact - a plumber would be far more appropriate - imho.

That is true.