uniqs

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

[Security] [data storage] off the MBPr thunderbolt drive

So I am interested in a MBPr.

Yet one thing that I've always disliked is the idea of storing my data within the same partition as the OS.

Of course, this is default behavior for Windowz too. How Sloppy!

• Has anyone configured their Mac-any-kind to an alternate data location than the default?

Perhaps on an external drive even?

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

You can get the non-Retina MBP and pull out the SupahDrive and throw in a different one. Thats what I did. Offshooting the home folder to the 2nd drive shouldnt be too difficult. I highly recommend not offing it to an external drive, as it will cause all kinds of problems if you start up without it.
The Dv8or

The Dv8or to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
Or better yet, partition the primary drive.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

said by The Dv8or:

Or better yet, partition the primary drive.

Now that sounds like a great idea!

I suppose that one can later encrypt it or move it as a partition-image to the Thunderbolt drive and blank the actual partition.

Then one can replace the data later.

• Is there a Mac-friendly imaging software?
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to Ugly

to Ugly
Why do you dislike having your User folder on the same drive as the OS?
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to Ugly

to Ugly
Yes there is mac friendly imaging software. Disk utility it comes with the os.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
I have not done it, but a friend of mine has his OS and home folder on different partitions. Apparently, it caused his upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion to be an enormous mess of complications and he's held off from upgrading to Mountain Lion for that reason.

At home I keep most of my data in the same partition as the OS, but I do use an iTunes library on an external disk. That offloads 90% of the data bytes elsewhere.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
You can partition it, but the mSSD is still new tech and I can't predict MTBF/reliability for recovery.
You can move (symlink) your Users' folder to an external
You can boot to a USB or TBolt drive
You can have a netboot drive and choose that (if local, on gigabit with Tbolt to gigE adapter) but that has to be slow.

I can boot from USB3.0 stick or Tbolt drive. However, I don't have User folder separate. All on external or internal.

Yes, why Apple never offered a twin mSSD... either for RAiD1 or for OS on one and User on other...
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by cableties:

You can partition it, but the mSSD is still new tech and I can't predict MTBF/reliability for recovery.
You can move (symlink) your Users' folder to an external
You can boot to a USB or TBolt drive
You can have a netboot drive and choose that (if local, on gigabit with Tbolt to gigE adapter) but that has to be slow.

I can boot from USB3.0 stick or Tbolt drive. However, I don't have User folder separate. All on external or internal.

Yes, why Apple never offered a twin mSSD... either for RAiD1 or for OS on one and User on other...

Rather than using a symlink I would simply change the settings in Users & Groups for the location of your home directory (unlock the padlock and right click the user).