Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

[Installer] State code 15

Can anyone explain state code 15 probing failure?

anonanomanom

@108.12.38.x
st15- probing failure is generally a result of 4 different things on a 9000 system, that i have ever seen and experienced:

1-bad gps coords input into the modem. as you may have input 1 digit incorrectly, your modem for example may think its looking for a beam that is 500 miles in any direction of your exact location. wherein you may receive signal fine, or somewhat lower that your usual in a particular area, but the transmitter says no way.

fix - input gps coords correctly. resubmit parameters, repoint antenna.

2- your on the edge of a cell. similar to the above, your modem may just be locking onto the wrong cell. uncommon, but it has happened.

fix-the only resolve is contacting tag, giving them your coords for verification, and they will tell you to input coords in the center of the cell you should be under.

3- bad transmitter.

fix - replace it

4- bad squints (even though they pass). i had this happen recently, all squints passed, center 1 was 160, az was (roughly) 88/100, el was (roughly) 80/88, center 2 was 161. i experienced st15. after verifying correct gps coords, replacing transmitter and still st15, resquinting and getting all squints within 2, probong passed.

so, the fix - resquint and get squints as close as possible.

hope that helps.

JJV
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to JJV
Thanks for your reply.
This is installation is on a comm trailer.
Hughes has unlocked it so it can be re installed at any location. I usually go for the best signal without squinting and submit that without problems.
Recently we changed the account number and I haven't got past code 15 since.

Ill try again using the squinter next time.

anonanomanom

@108.12.38.x
the squinter should be used every time. thats why it was given to you to install with. even though your signal is maxed out, you could have (faked passing squints) but actually squints on the azimuth of lets say 130 and 40. with similar results on the elevation. that means your dish is shooting out the side of the beam, not hitting the satellite 100% correctly. making your transmitter work harder, (or not at all possibly in your case), shortening its life span, and causing problems for customers.....all because installers want to save 5 minutes of time, because they are too lazy to squint properly.

JJV
Premium
Seattle, WA
I generally have little set up time. 15 min is my average.
This is on a emergency vehicle I don't install for customers.

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to JJV
No weather proofing to the transmit connector seems to me to be a more common failure.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 edit
reply to JJV
said by JJV:

I generally have little set up time. 15 min is my average.
This is on a emergency vehicle I don't install for customers.

Don't they make a automatic dish? I remember seeing a automatic aiming Direcway dish on top of some $200,000+ RV back around 2005.

»www.c-comsat.com/vsat-antenna-mo ··· els.html

»www.groundcontrol.com/prod_ig250 ··· _001.htm

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

3 edits
reply to JJV
Sounds like you need this.

Folding auto aiming transceiver dish on roof, also telescopic Doppler radar (I think it's weather doppler, spinning bar type.).

»www.nacsvehicles.com

P.S. I have the width tag set on the images but DSLReports seems to ignore it so blame them for the images taking up the whole page.