spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kayc3115

join:2013-06-18

Hughes Net vs Wild Blue Please Help!? I'm lost!

I'm learning I'm pretty internet ignorant and I'm hoping you all can give me some sound advice.

I've recently acquired a vacation home that is fairly rural. Though there is a sign fairly close indicating Century Link service, I'm not able to get it at my cabin, and I've com to the conclusion that satellite is the only option.

My zip code is 97867-8115 and I can figure out if Hughes Net or Wild Blue would be better for me.

I'm honestly shocked at how difficult and expensive this is compared to my home in Boise, ID

I'm likely opting to leave it on all the time because I'll likely be there at least once a week.

Is this really a situation that I can't provide the equipment myself? There's already a dish sitting there on the house that I assume the previous owner left and I've got modems for days laying around the house. If it's such old technology, can I just use those?

I'm honestly amazed how expensive it is, it's like going back in time 10 years with dsl.

I was hoping to be able to stream roku/netflix with this. Is wifi not an option? I'm honestly completely lost.

Oh yeah, I feel like I should mention that I have an excellent south facing view. Literally nothing but cattle fields for miles and miles. I'm told that south facing is important?

Please help? I get more confused the more I read.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

said by kayc3115:

Is this really a situation that I can't provide the equipment myself?

I was hoping to be able to stream roku/netflix with this. Is wifi not an option? I'm honestly completely lost.

Please help? I get more confused the more I read.

As I understand it, HughesNet will now sell you the equipment. HN obscures their offers, so it's hard for a non-employee to answer.

One can stream Netfix on dial-up (Gen4 at its worst), but the results are blurry. What are your expectations? At what resolution do you want to stream? You can certainly use Wi-Fi with either service. My experience with Exede-12 is that the installers are "not allowed" to setup Wi-Fi for you. HN installers are "allowed" to sell you and install a router if that is what you want. If you know how to setup Wi-Fi, then this isn't an issue.

As I said on the other forum, call them and report back, but don't agree to anything that you don't understand. Maybe you will get more help when others wake up.
--
HT1000 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to kayc3115

I have been a long time Hughes customer..dating back to the introduction of the DW6000 system.

The short version is there is no way that I'm going to continue to do business with Hughes when my 7000s system dies.

The lack of honesty and any type of ethics on the part of Hughes is beyond belief.

I will be moving to Exede 12.

hughey

join:2012-08-09
Livermore, CA
reply to kayc3115

Yes, satellite is expensive. When it is the only solution for internet service then the cost becomes a measure of how badly you want the service. I have been a customer of Hughes since 2002 and am grateful to have it in spite of the miserable customer service. You must use their modem. You can hook up your own WiFi. Depending on the level of service you pay for, you may use Netflex on a very limited basis. The "Fair Access Policy" will limit the amount of data that you can download or upload during a set time period. Violating the "FAP" will result in a punishing reduction in internet speed making it all but impossible to use the internet, (at least for this user). If you are looking at a long term use of Hughes then buying the equipment is the best bet. Good luck.
--
HN7000S, G4R 1370, Dish DW4000 Two Way, Mac OSx, Pacific time

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05
reply to kayc3115

A quick check shows "some" Verizon 3G service. Looks limited, and probably depends where you are. The map in my area isn't updated yet for 4G, there's a small chance your area might be upgraded too, then that would be MUCH faster than 3G, and likely perform near to good DSL. (I ALWAYS see over 20meg down and I'm 8 miles from the tower). If 3G or 4G is available there, you can get Millenicom hotspot plan for $70 per month, 20GB of anytime data, you could take the device with you (it's the size of a deck of cards or so). You can plug in an external antenna for reception if they send you the same device (if need be). As with service in my area, it looks like there aren't many other if any other major carriers there (didn't go through all of them). Except it looks like possibly US Cellular. One thing you can do is pay for data on a smartphone (if you have one, I don't), and use it like a wifi hotspot. The limiting factor on every option is the data limits, you can't do a lot of video. It looks like your location can only get Wildblue, and not Exede, which is less desirable, I looked at Hughesnet service, I don't know if they have the upgraded service in your area or not because it needs an address.

Basically, you want satellite only if you have no other choice. If the Hughesnet service is upgraded to Gen4 in that area, that MIGHT be preferable to Wildblue as far as performance. However, if it is not upgraded, and if you can get Verizon 3G service, I would say that would be the better way to go. I did that here before the 4G upgrade, and it blew the Wildblue service away in performance (this area sat. service is overloaded). I was consistently seeing around 2 to 2.5 meg down with that.

Best to check with any neighbors, wouldn't hurt to ask what they use, find out about the 3G, and find out if there are any WISPs around (wireless internet providers). Pretty dumb idea but if you don't want to talk to them, if you have a mailbox on a traveled road, maybe leave a sign down there with a marking pen and ask for a favor, if they could write down what provider they use. Depending how friendly they are, they might help.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Don't forget there is difference between the "legacy" Wildblue and Exede on Viasat.

kayc3115

1 edit
reply to Hltrancher

Thanks for the info about Verizon 3G and 4G. I have chatted with someone at verizon on their website about the possibility of using a wireless broadband card. They mentioned that there is some 3G service in the area. I was told it potentially would be very slow - though if their idea of slow is faster and easier than satellite then I would be okay with that.

How can I find out how far I am from a tower?

US Cellular is a mobile dealer in the area I'm somewhat familiar with - thank you for the suggestion. I'll give them a call.

I have a smartphone - but through sprint and I'm roaming at my location so I'm not sure using my wifi through smart phone is a good option.

Honestly the whole idea of data limits is new to me, and I have no idea how to figure out what kind of data I use.

Also, can you tell me more about Millenicom? It looks like the hotspot might be an option for me. You mentioned also needing an antenna?

I am amazed at how ignorant I feel about this.

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA
reply to kayc3115

I assumed that you had no options than satellite, because that's what you said.

WISP seems to be an option with no data caps:

»www.wispdirectory.com/index.php?···temid=53

Call them first to verify that it is available. If it is available, the contract (and more) can be found here:

»secure4.eoni.com/eonicorp/access···tart.cfm

And the plans seem like a good deal:

»secure4.eoni.com/eonicorp/access···gnup.cfm

kayc3115

I assumed satellite was my only option as well...like I said...I'm lost!

I actually spoke to a guy in a nearby town about WISP and he did a site survey and said it was great, but it seemed insanely expensive for the slow speeds I was being told, so I wrote it off.

»www.thegeo.net/InternetServices/···ult.aspx

the site that you directed me to opens my eyes to that option and now I'm even more unsure!

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

If it is between older satellite technology (i.e. not Exede or Gen4) and WISP...go with WISP.

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA
reply to kayc3115

said by kayc3115:

the site that you directed me to opens my eyes to that option and now I'm even more unsure!

That's the best deal that I can find for you. It seems like a very good deal for a rural ISP. If it is for real (and it seems to be), I'd chose at least the silver plan and take the deal.

kayc3115

Thank you VERY much! This has helped me tremendously!

Whew! Thanks again!

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05

Definitely looks like that is your best option. With the cellular options, if the area upgrades to 4G, which would possibly be faster depending on your location, you're only going to have 20GB of data to work with without paying tons more money. If you're watching video, you need a higher data cap more than you need great speed. You can always turn the quality down so it streams on a slower connection, but you can't watch much if you don't have the data cap to go with the speed. If your area checks out, I'd still try to find a neighbor with it. Some providers can overfill and barely work especially during primetime. And if there's more than one provider, of course try to get the fastest if the caps/no caps/pricing are similar or along the line you can deal with. Overall I hear that WISPs can be quite good though.

Looks like Sprint doesn't let you use much roaming data. You're possibly roaming on a Verizon tower, how many bars do you have there? Does it say 3G up on the bar? Does mobile data work ok? (Just in case)

Many of us would LOVE high caps so we could watch Netflix, etc. once in a while at decent quality. Other than the price of mine, 4G works great, it's like a real internet connection that just works, so I know how you'd feel coming from something better.

Here is a rough data calculator you can look at, if you want.
»www.exede.com/internet-packages-···selector

Welcome to the world of rural internet.