uniqs
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007

Re: Need detailed information about working disconnected from do

there is a default cache set, but you can change that.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/172931

»windowsitpro.com/windows ··· -caching

how is your (1) 2012 server going to be a dc and host VMs? are you going to run hyper-v?

if so, i recommend leaving the 2012 server as it (dont make it a DC), install hyper-v, create a vm server, make that your DC.

create another vm with a client OS...windows7/8 and use RDP on your laptop to login to that vm PC that can be the client OS you test with.

you shouldnt have any problems with the local cache if you decide to use your laptop, but since this is just for testing/lab purposes, it would allow you to keep your laptop as it. it isn't a big deal joining to a domain and back to a workgroup, just another option...
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by tomdlgns:

how is your (1) 2012 server going to be a dc and host VMs? are you going to run hyper-v?

if so, i recommend leaving the 2012 server as it (dont make it a DC), install hyper-v, create a vm server, make that your DC.

create another vm with a client OS...windows7/8 and use RDP on your laptop to login to that vm PC that can be the client OS you test with.

you shouldnt have any problems with the local cache if you decide to use your laptop, but since this is just for testing/lab purposes, it would allow you to keep your laptop as it. it isn't a big deal joining to a domain and back to a workgroup, just another option...

Going back and force between domain and workgroup is sort of a big deal. In addition to non-interactive logos not being cached there will also be 2 different user profiles with different locations for documents, app data, etc.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

yeah, dont join/remove each day, i meant one or two times during testing wouldn't be an issue.

yes, there would be two profiles (domain and local).

are you testing or not? decide that first.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by tomdlgns:

yeah, dont join/remove each day, i meant one or two times during testing wouldn't be an issue.

yes, there would be two profiles (domain and local).

are you testing or not? decide that first.

Ideally I would like to join a domain and stay in domain. It would be beneficial to run SQL Server services under the same domain account on desktop and laptop so that they both can easily authenticate between each other. However, when I am disconnected from domain all SQL Server services on my laptop will not even start.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

I have experience running all my servers in VMWare on a 2003 server.

I ran for a while with VM DCs and that was not good.

You want the DC up and servicing requests before the VMs boot.

Otherwise they can't hit the domain until the VM DC boots.

This causes services to fail to start on the VMs like exchange, SQL that might start using a domain account.

Sure, you can delay the boot of the other VMs until the DC has time to come online but it has worked much better for me to have physical DCs that are ready and waiting for the VMs when they come online.

YMMV.

Blob
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
gotcha, i mis-read your original post. when i read that you want to get familiar with a domain environment, i took it as this being for a lab/test...my mistake.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
said by workablob:

said by tomdlgns:

I have experience running all my servers in VMWare on a 2003 server.

I ran for a while with VM DCs and that was not good.

You want the DC up and servicing requests before the VMs boot.

Otherwise they can't hit the domain until the VM DC boots.

This causes services to fail to start on the VMs like exchange, SQL that might start using a domain account.

Sure, you can delay the boot of the other VMs until the DC has time to come online but it has worked much better for me to have physical DCs that are ready and waiting for the VMs when they come online.

YMMV.

Blob

I was thinking exactly the same thing even though I haven't tried it.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
yeah, having the physical DC is nice, but i wouldnt run a physical server as the DC with hyper-v on top. going to my post above, i thought this was for a lab/test, a virtual DC would have been fine.

for what he is doing it shouldnt be an issue, many people have their only DCs as virtual machines. personally, i wouldnt do that, but i suppose as long as you have a virtual DC on another host you should be ok (if a failure occurs). there are alot of ways to build redundancy/get around that issue.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

said by tomdlgns:

yeah, having the physical DC is nice, but i wouldnt run a physical server as the DC with hyper-v on top. going to my post above, i thought this was for a lab/test, a virtual DC would have been fine.

for what he is doing it shouldnt be an issue, many people have their only DCs as virtual machines. personally, i wouldnt do that, but i suppose as long as you have a virtual DC on another host you should be ok (if a failure occurs). there are alot of ways to build redundancy/get around that issue.

I may revisit doing the DC on a VM again but it was killing me so I just went with physical.

It's been working great for several years now.

Blob
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i have dc-1 and dc-2 running as VMs, but...

-it is a hardware cluster (2 hosts)
-dc-1 is on its own LUN
-dc-2 is on its own LUN
-it is a lab/test environment
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

I have a geographically diverse setup. 7 clusters. 25 VMWare hosts, 100+ VMs, 10 DCs. I do not have a single physical DC and never had an issue. Don't know about Hyper-V, but VMWare let's you specify the VM power up order.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

that is a pretty slick home setup