uniqs

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw

Premium Member

VW cc -- a missed opportunity for VW?

On the way to work this morning I was stopped at a redlight next to a white VW cc. Damn those are very attractive cars.

They are one of those rare cars that looks better in person than in the photos. The guys at VW who designed the cc created a work of art IMHO.

But, you hardly ever see them (at least I hardly ever do). I was wondering why they are not more popular? They have an atractive price, nice interior, ok fuel economy, ...wait the engine... I remembered then that the 200hp 2.0L is the biggest engine you can get in this car. Did VW miss an opportunity here?

That car looks like it should have a 350-400hp engine and cost $60-80K.

What do you think?

heebz6020
join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI

heebz6020

I don't know much about VW, but don't they own Audi ? Introducing a powerful car in that class might detract from Audi sales ?
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to saillaw

to saillaw
They do offer it with a 3.6L, 280 hp, VR6 engine and 6-speed automatic awd starting at 42ish..... Not much more that the 200 hp you posted but......

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

1 recommendation

ironweasel to heebz6020

Premium Member

to heebz6020
said by heebz6020:

I don't know much about VW, but don't they own Audi ? Introducing a powerful car in that class might detract from Audi sales ?

Volkswagen owns Audi.

And Lamborghini.

And Porsche.

And Bentley.

And Bugatti.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to heebz6020

MVM

to heebz6020
said by heebz6020:

Correct - they are not doing what GM did with their brands were all of the brands had to have each type of car. Instead of making Cadillac their high-end/luxuryt cars, Chevrolet = sports/sporty cars, Pontiac = family cars (sedan/minivan), and GMC = pickups and SUVs - they made sure all of them had one of each type of vehicle so that would only steal sales from their other divisions.

Bad, bad thing to do is to steal sales from your other divisions which is what the setup GM had usually does.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Ironically, GM thought Pontiac was their performance brand.

The first time I saw the CC, I did a double take. Beautiful design. It's still not a common sight around here which is another plus in my book.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

It is a nice looking car no doubt.

heebz6020
join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI

heebz6020

Its okay...I really like the 3/4 shot pictured above but I don't care for the back window...almost gives it a 'bubble' appearance. Just my opinion.
I see these on a pretty regular basis.