uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

I don't respect sheeple. I consider anyone using social networking to be a sheeple. It doesn't mean I hate them. I may love them because they may be my relatives and some friends. But I don't respect them.

Persons who frequent this forum should know better.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 recommendations

NormanS

MVM

said by Mele20:

I don't respect sheeple. I consider anyone using social networking to be a sheeple. It doesn't mean I hate them. I may love them because they may be my relatives and some friends. But I don't respect them.

I don't respect anyone who doesn't understand the social nature of Hominidae in general, or of the genus homo in particular. If it weren't for "sheeple", it would not be possible for members of the genus homo to live on a volcanic archipelago in the center of the vast Pacific Ocean.

I spent 26 continuous years in the U.S. Army (mostly CAANG), purchased a U.S. government surplus battle rifle, and a number of civilian firearms. I have owned several motor vehicles, and two real properties. Even if I never had a Facebook account, I know a number of people who have them, who have posted about me.

The only way I know to avoid the grid is to pack a few generic possessions in a garbage bag, or five, and load them in a purloined shopping cart, and live in a cardboard box under an overpass. I won't/can't live like that.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I wouldn't exactly fault some grandparents for using FB. Expecially if the accounts were set up with the most security and they didn't click on every damn thing.

It's a lousy situation, but a lot of people find posting family stuff on FB rather than shoving pics in Dropbox or using emal. You want to keep current with the kids?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

quote:
Quite nicely said.... I feel the same way!!

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by 19579823:

quote:
Quite nicely snottily said.... I feel the same way!!

FIFY!

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

GlennLouEarl to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

You think using forums such as this one isn't just a different form of the same "social networking"?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by GlennLouEarl:

You think using forums such as this one isn't just a different form of the same "social networking"?

At least when you post HERE (for example), you KNOW that it's a public place.

With FaceBORK, you can never be sure (just like the man with 2 watches is about the time of day).

FB keeps rearranging their security menu structures and changing the defaults - ya gotta be a F-N IT pro to stay on top of it, it seems.

Sorry, they all can keep FB - not interested - not even though my family members embrace it - not gonna happen.

The most I'll do is tweet, and Twitter is up-front about tweets being completely public too.

= = = = =

BTW, I PITY sheeple.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Davesnothere:

said by GlennLouEarl:

At least when you post HERE (for example), you KNOW that it's a public place.

With FaceBORK, you can never be sure (just like the man with 2 watches is about the time of day).

Why doubt? It is so obviously not private, despite whatever the settings proclaim.

FB keeps rearranging their security menu structures and changing the defaults - ya gotta be a F-N IT pro to stay on top of it, it seems.

Just dligent, as with every other facet of the Internet.

Sorry, they all can keep FB - not interested - not even though my family members embrace it - not gonna happen.

Your family members likely have sucked you in, member, or not; like it, or not.
The most I'll do is tweet, and Twitter is up-front about tweets being completely public too.

= = = = =

BTW, I PITY sheeple.

I pity people who look down on others from their High Horses.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

That's a bunch of pompous nonsense though I'm not surprised in the slightest. Personally, I have absolutely no use whatsoever for social networking in any form.

However: As a veteran, could also be very elitist by making the generalized (and probably unfair) statement saying I don't respect various able-bodied individuals around here utilizing pithy sayings defending freedom as their signature simply because those participants might never have spent a day defending said freedom in the armed forces

Speaking of your signature: It is fairly well known that there is no empirical proof Thomas Jefferson ever said the quote you've attributed to him. Do the research. If anyone here can prove differently, I'll render my apologies for being incorrect. That's something a few on this forum have failed miserably to do in the past despite being presented overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

....Why doubt? It [FaceBook] is so obviously not private, despite whatever the settings proclaim....

It is the false and/or misleading proclamations of decent security from places like FB with which I have issue, not with the unfortunate folks who believe them.

Fancy complicated menues do not necessarily good security make.

Most of us who post here understand the due diligence part, but most of the sheeple are oblivious to the security and other tech issues which are being raised here.

And that's not a put-down, it's just statistical fact.

I would like to help them, but Elvis has left the building on THAT one.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Security != privacy.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

Security != privacy.

Maybe I shouldn't, but for the purposes of critiquing social media sites & networks, I use the two terms interchangeably.

(or did I misunderstand your use of the ! character ?)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Davesnothere:

(or did I misunderstand your use of the ! character ?)

It is my understanding that "bang" means "not" in that symbolism.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I don't respect sheeple. I consider anyone using social networking to be a sheeple.

People desiring to contact with other people? Plebeians. Respectable people become hermits.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, "sheeple" are not simply folks desiring to make contact with other folks.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheeple

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

The term is both judgmental and derogatory. And in the context of this forum, the users of the term come across as elite snobs.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned)

said by NormanS:

The term is both judgmental and derogatory. And in the context of this forum, the users of the term come across as elite snobs.

Good point.

According to the Wikipedia entry, the term "sheeple" was first coined by an individual associated with the John Birch Society (how about them apples, folks?) and also used commonly by Milton William Cooper, whose major claim to fame was being a well-known conspiracy theorist crackpot. Quoting from the Wikipedia entry about him, amongst the most famous of Cooper's theories "asserted that John F. Kennedy was assassinated because he was about to reveal that extraterrestrials were in the process of taking over the Earth."

Since the Wikipedia definition of "sheeple" (those who voluntarily acquiesce to a suggestion without critical analysis or research), is recklessly thrown about by some around here all too often, then I submit the moniker might also be deemed appropriate as well to describe those who, like the very "sheeple" they deride, post comments and quotes lacking the exact same critical analysis or research.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Thaler to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Thus the plebeians humor & sarcasm. Anyone who feels better than another because they (don't) use a web service needs their ego checked.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

said by NormanS:

Thus the plebeians humor & sarcasm. Anyone who feels better than another because they (don't) use a web service needs their ego checked.

Sheeple was first used right here in this forum and NOT by me. I was criticized by some long time members here for NOT using the word (I used "computer ignorant" or something like that as I had never heard of the word "sheeple" until I read here and asked about it). Lemmings had been one of the words of choice to describe such people until somebody decided sheeple was better.

Using the word or the phrase "computer ignorant" has nothing to do with ego. In regards to Facebook it has to do with folks willingly, and even eagerly, giving up what brave men and women have died for ....liberty and freedom which REQUIRE privacy which Facebookers don't have.

So, if you want to say I need to have my ego checked, I think you need to decide if dying for this nation matters anymore. If it does matter you will run fast away from Facebook and any entity trying to take your freedom, your liberty, and your privacy from you.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I don't respect sheeple. I consider anyone using social networking to be a sheeple.

I don't respect people who paint a broad brush against those who use social networking. Do I think they are wise in not securing information that could be used to harm them? Of course I do. I don't post my private stuff on social networking sites.

But people have fought and died for our - and their - rights to free speech and free association. I respect those who choose freedom and accept those of different views, races, religions, cultures and beliefs.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

So you lie all the time. Seems obvious that it would be more honest and better to never go near something like Facebook.

Don't be patronizing. You know as well as anyone that you cannot always accept others unless you want your way of life to be dead.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, if you want to say I need to have my ego checked, I think you need to decide if dying for this nation matters anymore. If it does matter you will run fast away from Facebook and any entity trying to take your freedom, your liberty, and your privacy from you.

I don't even know where to begin. I enlisted in the U.S. Army while a war was raging. I eventually transferred to reserve duty; stayed for 26 years, of which 23 were credible for retirement. I am a retired Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army Reserve. I guess I have put up ...

As for entities trying to take my freedom, liberty, and privacy; the USG is a bigger threat than FaceBook ever will be. The very same USG I served for 26 years. Was I wrong to enlist? What a paradox!!!

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

2 recommendations

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
It's ironic Mele20 that you sit on this high horse and denigrate people constantly over their lack of personal security and privacy, using Facebook and Google as your current scapegoats. Meanwhile, there is so much "open source" information about you on the internet that you've put out there yourself for years and you can't take it back or remove.

I could tell you your name, age, where you live, where you shop, what car you drive, the traffic tickets you've gotten, what phone you use, what jewelry you wear, items/food you frequently buy, the name of your cat, why you moved to Hilo, where you worked in Hilo, where you lived before Hilo, your medical problems, the last 2-3 computers you had, etc., etc. You have no need for Facebook, it's already out there. You've used a number of different forums, including this one, as your "Social Network" for years.

My Facebook account, nor any of my friends or family member's accounts, doesn't contain anywhere near the amount of personal info you've freely written all over the internet for ANYONE to see.

If I ever find myself in Hilo, I just might knock on your door...
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Everyone wants to live forever, at least in memories ... of computers
It creates a new hope for everyone and perhaps it's time to start a new religion, promising just that

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

"Ill considered" is a better term of phase, as it more aptly describes with an optional tangent of an excuse, to "sheeple".
Elite snobs and derogatory are in fact derogatory too.
ashrc4

2 edits

ashrc4 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

It's ironic Mele20 that you sit on this high horse and denigrate people constantly over their lack of personal security and privacy, using Facebook and Google as your current scapegoats.

We know Mele 20 likes to set the bar high.
By putting out so publicly USA residence the NSA shouldn't be able to snoop like they can for others.
Might actually be able and in a position to claim such higher status.

.0OWonders if she might actually vet her own information first.

2 edits ; spelling
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to DocDrew

to DocDrew

quote:
My Facebook account, nor any of my friends or family member's accounts, doesn't contain anywhere near the amount of personal info you've freely written all over the internet for ANYONE to see.
That was before she realised how serious the matter was...... (Im sure she wishes she could get rid of it all now!)

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

That was before she realised how serious the matter was...... (Im sure she wishes she could get rid of it all now!)

nah... she's preached for years about privacy and personal information security yet at least once a month she lets some new tidbit or iceberg of personal info out in her long winded descriptions of her issues.

Some shopping habits from 3 weeks ago:
»Re: How supermarkets get your data 150; and what they do with it She had no real need to go into such detail, no one asked for it, it wasn't the thread topic. She was "socializing" and doing things some people on Facebook and Twitter do in revealing personal details no one really needs to know.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

1 edit

2 recommendations

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

So, if you want to say I need to have my ego checked...

He isn't the only one who feels this way. The cold, hard fact of the matter is that very same ego simply can't stand others even remotely suggesting you may be incorrect about anything. Want a perfect example on why folks get up in arms about such an arrogant and selfish attitude on display? The other day I mentioned Thomas Jefferson didn't make the statement you attribute to him in your signature, although it's been conclusively proven by the most reputable sources Jefferson never made such a remark. As of a few minutes ago, that quote still remains under your postings. Do us all a favor and read the article at the link below. Here's an excerpt:

»www.monticello.org/site/ ··· uotation

"We have not found any evidence that Thomas Jefferson said or wrote, "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny," or any of its listed variations."

Think I'm picking on you or being overly pedantic? Not hardly. However: If you expect to be taken seriously in the future on these forums by other than those of the lunatic fringe element, get a grip on reality and realize none of us are perfect...and I do mean no one. Perhaps it's time to accept that truth before the further alienation of any other forum members occurs.

(Edited for clarity)
scelli

1 edit

1 recommendation

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Sheeple was first used right here in this forum and NOT by me. I was criticized by some long time members here for NOT using the word (I used "computer ignorant" or something like that as I had never heard of the word "sheeple" until I read here and asked about it). Lemmings had been one of the words of choice to describe such people until somebody decided sheeple was better.

So: What you're saying is that rather than make an informed decision on the matter, others were allowed to influence your behavior? Just like those very same lemmings, you chose to follow along and use the word "sheeple".

Care to guess what that makes you?