how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bikti

join:2010-10-26
Glendora, CA

MJ charging for minutes

Just got burned ... Some of my telephone numbers (used them for 2+ yrs) have been turned into pay for minutes ..
I am now a permanent hater of MJ ..
I assume that MJ Corp did not purchase some carriers OR they just want the $$$$$

And yes all of the other problems that posters have mentioned

redpepper

join:2009-09-05
Try the downloadable GVJackApp to switch over to Google Voice for a few days to see if that works out better for you.

It is free to try out for a few days and you can always go back to magicJack's service by closing the GVJackApp and unplugging your magicJack dongle and plugging it back in again.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to bikti
I hadn't heard of this new "charging for minutes" thing. Very interesting indeed. I'm with redpepper See Profile on this one. I use GVJackApp, have done so since its release, and love it.

On a side note, it has been awhile since I visited this forum. WOW! If peoples' posts here are any indication of where this company will eventually end up this could get interesting. Lots of unhappy people!

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to bikti
I think what the OP is referring to is that MagicJack is blocking calls to an increasing number of exchanges. You'll get a message like "... to make a conference call or to a platform, you must purchase additional prepaid minutes...". On my sister's MJ line in Clevleand, OH, I've gotten this message when trying to call the VA Medical Center in Cleveland to reach my cousin just before he passed back in January , and more recently, the weather number!

Not only that, MJ blocks the call to my sister's number when I try to call it from my work phone... they don't like the fact that my work line does not send caller ID info and I get a MJ message.

A workaround is to get, or use your existing Google Voice number and use that to call the blocked number.

I really regret setting my sister up with MJ. She had just ported her landline out to Assurance Wireless and something came up a few days later where she needed to use the phone a lot and needed way more minutes than AW provided, so I got the MJ because it was available at a B&M store... wish the Obi100/110 was!

slyphoxj

Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to redpepper
said by redpepper:

Try the downloadable GVJackApp to switch over to Google Voice for a few days to see if that works out better for you.

It is free to try out for a few days and you can always go back to magicJack's service by closing the GVJackApp and unplugging your magicJack dongle and plugging it back in again.

Does GVJack work on a MagicJack Plus? Can I plug in a MJ+ device into a PC to "flash" it to GVJack, then unplug it from the PC, then plug it back into a router to use Google Voice instead of MJ's service?

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
GVJack does work on the MJ+ hardware. However, you must run the software on a computer and have the MJ+ hardware connected to the computer.

slyphoxj

Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
said by Gork:

GVJack does work on the MJ+ hardware. However, you must run the software on a computer and have the MJ+ hardware connected to the computer.

Which basically negates the whole reason for going with the MJ+ instead of the original MJ device... might as well spend the extra $10 or $20 and get an Obi100 (versus the $20 cost of GVJack).

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

1 edit
Can't speak for the Obi100 device or how adaptive that solution is to changes which are made by GV. (I'm assuming this is a hardware device which can link your home phone to the GV service.) I *can* speak for GVJack and I have been very impressed with how they've quickly adapted their software to continue to work with changes made to the GV service. I have also been impressed with their quick and professional level of customer service.

I just use the same el cheapo $80 computer I initially bought to run the MJ device (long before MJ+ existed) and keep it in the furnace room. Since that computer also runs my web server, my Ventrilo server and a couple of other things as well it works out well for me. This same setup should work great, and would be cheaper, for anyone who already owns a computer and either leaves it on most of the time or doesn't mind doing so.

EDIT:
I just looked up the Obi100; looks like a fun device!

redpepper

join:2009-09-05

4 edits
For clarification, the GVJackApp is only $12.95. The future of your Google Voice calling investment is also safe using the GVJackApp.

The GVJackApp is definitely going to continue to work once Google's support of the existing published and open Google Talk based XMPP protocol has completely been phased out in the future and replaced by the new Google Hangout unpublished and proprietary technology introduced last month for Google Voice calling (ref. »developers.google.com/talk/ ). We can formally state that we already have incoming and outgoing Google Voice calling based on the use of the new Google Hangout technology working with regular phones in the lab.

If you do decide you really don't need your MJ+ any longer, please consider selling it on Ebay so somebody else can reuse it for Google Voice calling. The demand has definitely not slowed down.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
All good news, thank you redpepper See Profile.

bikti

Glendora, CA
reply to bikti
I didn't see an edit button so i am replying to my post

UPDATE
One of my tel numbers works now .. yeea
I have no idea what is going on other than MJ support said i have to pay ...

THANKS for the other info .. i am testing it out to find any bugs

Frank

bikti

Glendora, CA
reply to bikti
Hi thanks for the suggestions .. I am now signed up with gvapp still learning all the tricks but so far so good i figure at a later date they will start charging more