spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Criticals

join:2010-05-30

Have you heard of Wildstar?

Wildstar is a new MMO comin out sometime this year. I have been trackin it for awhile and here are some basic features.

- 2 factions (Exiles and Dominion)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-40RjZgims

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqpBDkLSNM

- Large world with a space theme

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1ASr-yNJ8

- Should be about 8 classes at launch
More classes were datamined that should be unveiled at a later date.

- 40 man raids
Devs have already openly said that they are designing at least part of the end game content for the 1% of dedicated players. They said the content will most likely not be nerfed in the future so the entire endgame raiding is progressable at once.

- 5 man dungeons
Game is launching with a LFD group builder. No LFR planned.

- Player housing

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zlNIagVmI

- Action based hotkey combat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVb8NBcrXVw

- Addon support at launch
Develpors are very passionate about letting the game grow without waitin on them to add new things. They said damage meters and such should be added shortly. They are willing to let the game become something more.

- Arenas 2v2, 3v3, 5v5
Arenas work different than most games and more like deathmatch in a shooter. Each team has ~15 lives. The match ends when a team is killed using up all of their resources.

- Warplots
Similar to BGs but your warplot is a guild seperate from your PVP guild that builds up a base that then gets teleported to the BG to fight another bases. Warplots are ranked so that you only fight ones similar skill. Leaderboards should be available in game and online. You can upgrade your warplot by adding lasers and seige vehicles to your base. You can also capture raid bosses or world bosses and put them in your keep and then release them on the other team.

- Action based professions
Crafting is suppsedly a skill based system. The better you get at it you can get better rewards. Devs have said crafting is a minigame. Farming is done by attacking what you want to farm. On occasion, hitting a node will cause a boss to come out of the earth and attack you by throwing. Smaller nodes out all over. Additional players can join in and everyone gets their own nodes.

- Secondary path system
Choose between soldier, explorer, scientist, and settler. These are secondary professions that allow you to gain exclusive perks. Soldiers get to try out new experimental weapons. They will find random missions where they get to kill waves of enemies. Anyone in your group can participate.
Scientist get to solve puzzles. They can change parts of the world finding switches and then solve why things happen. Explorers can randomly discover special instanced underground caverns. They can travel to the tops of mountains and bottom of oceans setting beacons for additional XP. Settlers can build temporary structures around the world. Building things like a mobile AH or mailbox gives them a % of the rewards. Building

- Active dev team that listens
Devs post all over their forums. Even accepting personal request and considering it for the final game. For instance a player on the forums ask for a particular mob seen in the game as a mount and the dev says he will make that happen.

- Ground and air mounts
Confirmed but no details on this yet.

- World Bosses
World bosses are not only for max level. Shown in a demo was a world boss for level 15 players. Loot from these bosses is exclusive to the player. Stealing loot or nodes doesnt seem like an option in any part of the game.

- Original art design and theme for an MMO
I know looking at it its the first MMO ive seen that is taking the same design approach as WoW since Allods. The game is bright and colorful. Races range from giant 9ft robots, furries, rock people, and savage alien warriors. The game has a humerous tone to it. Nothing is taken too seriously and the world is full of pop culture references.

- Holy trinity gameplay design
Tank, healer, and DPS will have to be preset to form a group. Not too many details on the threat system or healing just yet.

Anyway. I know this is a WoW forum but i figure this is a thing of interest for at least some of you considering that this game looks similar to WoW in more than one way. The dev team includes at least some of the original WoW designers and some of the games elements show it.

DISCLAIMER: I BEG BEG BEG THAT THIS DOESNT BECOME A WOW KILLER THREAD. I AM SHARING THIS INFORMATION ABOUT A NEW GAME NOT TO TRY AND SPARK AN MMO WAR BUT TO INSTEAD TRY AND SHARE SOMETHING NEW TO PEOPLE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN A NEW IP THAT SHARES SIMILARITIES TO A GAME WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE BUT MAY HAVE NOT HEARD OF IT JUST YET.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4

Wildstar is dieing.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

----- »PC Gaming

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
reply to Criticals

Looks, interesting. First MMO that has kind of got my attention, since WoW =\

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Criticals

like the player housing concept. Looks kinda Disneyish though..

Criticals

said by Skittles:

like the player housing concept. Looks kinda Disneyish though..

This is what i was thinking. Like Disney or Rachet and Clank. Either way I kinda like it. One of the world bosses looked almost just like something from Lilo and Stitch.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31

said by Criticals:

Rachet and Clank.

You hit it on the head better than me. But looks like something I would give a shot, cant be worse than other games Ive wasted money on (Im looking at you Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR, D3, Dragon Age 2.....shit I make some bad gaming choices...)

Criticals

I heard the housing you can even put a shop on your property that sells special items you are selling. You can also open up your property. The social aspect of that alone is mind boggling. Throwing dinner parties and having your entire guild over. Building a pool with a water slide and having a party. I cant wait for that alone. Im sure some couples will form up and move in with each other. Sharing a house could be kinda fun.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Criticals

The graphics being simple by PC gaming standards could make this game popular from that alone.

One of the things that has kept WoW popular is that everybody else is wanting to push the latest and greatest DX11 features.

I will not mark this game as a WoW Killer because I do not believe in "game killers" in the MMO market. But if it can run on a very wide array of computers it will have a foot in the door that many other latest and greatest MMO attempts have not.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to Criticals

This looks interesting. I hope they get it right as competition is great for the consumer. Will have to keep my eye on this. Any pricing structure planned already?
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I haven't seen any of the videos yet but the concept sounds cool.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Criticals

Does anyone know what the pay structure is going to be like?

It'll depend upon execution as well as pay scheme.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Shatter

join:2006-07-24
Waterford, MI
reply to Criticals

I started to follow this recently, the only MMO I had on my radar until this was EQNext. Need more info though before I make a choice but definitely will be watching this one.

Criticals

reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Does anyone know what the pay structure is going to be like?

It'll depend upon execution as well as pay scheme.

Last thing i heard about the pay scheme was that they want to do a combination of buy to play and microtransations + a subscription option for people that want to see everything all the time. This is early talk but it looks like they will sell pieces of the endgame if you dont want to pay a sub and then let the sub players play everything.

Ginjer
Premium
join:2009-08-14
Honolulu, HI
reply to Criticals

I would give it a shot for sure. I like the concepts.
--
90 Pogasim (Pandaren Monk) M/G Horde!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

He is alive!

Ginjer
Premium
Honolulu, HI

said by Jobbie:

He is alive!

And don't you forget it!
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Welcome back brother

Ginjer
Premium
Honolulu, HI

Always been here, just haven't played WoW at all in six months. Between travel and family, just limited in game time. However, I am looking for something to play in my down time these days.
--

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Criticals

I liked some of the housing ideas, and I think the idea of housing as an instanced hub that you can actually make into a very useful and unique place is a great idea that should be integrated into other games. It works even better if multiple players can collaborate on the same plot, so couples and families, or a group of friends, can build something awesome. I'd like to see the same concept extended to a "guild hall" setup too.

The graphics are going to be a turnoff for MANY people. It just seems too much like a pixar kids movie. People who play MMOs arent usually looking for silly fun, they want epic loot and epic battles and possibly making rivers of their enemies' blood in pvp. None of this is being enhanced with a silly cartoony style.

If there was ever a game that needed a well-written tv show tie-in, its this one, the FMV videos on youtube look like a show anyway. Just make a show which has comedy, but enough adult elements to keep adults interested, like how robotech or the last airbender managed to do despite being kids shows, and this game would be huge.

Criticals

I think in an MMO graphics are only a small part. If anything the most effect the graphics have is through exciting spell effects and animations. This game looks to have both of those. Artistically the other stuff is a design choice and frankly I like it.

Personally I think graphics are one of this game stronger points. Defining yourself in the mmo market is a huge deal. When people can look at the game and instantly know which game it is it really boost your brand recognition. Along with the humorous style the gameplay looks top notch. I think they really get it when it comes to allowing the world to train the player for end game content.

Not many MMOs are bold enough these days to take a different path. Although similar to WoW in its look I think there is enough to set it apart. If anything apart from the sea of eastern MMOs. The only mmo since WoW that has a very cartoony look was Allods but that game didnt have the humor of WoW.

I think the best way to make something that will surpass WoW is not to do something different, but to hit WoW at the areas it does best. If this game can produce quality end game content then ill be sold. Balance is key and only time will tell. Eitherway from what ive seen im certainly excited.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Kaltes

said by Kaltes:

The graphics are going to be a turnoff for MANY people. It just seems too much like a pixar kids movie. People who play MMOs arent usually looking for silly fun, they want epic loot and epic battles and possibly making rivers of their enemies' blood in pvp. None of this is being enhanced with a silly cartoony style.

Actually the graphics will be what sells it. If the game is good and the gameplay itself enjoyable people look passed "cartoony graphics." Most MMO gamers do not pick their MMO based on the graphics, Give them shit gameplay and photo real graphics? they will go back to WoW even if they have 3x SLI and SSDs in RAID-0 with the latest Core-i7 LN2 Cooled and Overclocked.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Criticals

Watching the videos (finally), I like the TF2 art style...

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
kudos:2
reply to Criticals

i think it looks cool as hell. Don't know how i feel about the "telegraph" combat tho. I love the ratchet and clank art style.

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Actually the graphics will be what sells it.

No.
said by Kearnstd:

If the game is good and the gameplay itself enjoyable people look passed "cartoony graphics."

No, if the game is excellent and the gameplay is phenomenal people will look past, not if it is merely "enjoyable" which could describe most games.

said by Kearnstd:

Most MMO gamers do not pick their MMO based on the graphics, Give them shit gameplay and photo real graphics? they will go back to WoW even if they have 3x SLI and SSDs in RAID-0 with the latest Core-i7 LN2 Cooled and Overclocked.

Yes they care about graphics, or else they'd still be playing UO.

No one said that graphics make up for "shit gameplay" obviously for a game to be good it needs to be good overall, not in just 1 area.

Anyone who says graphics dont matter can look at dwarf fortress and how that game has never left its small hard-core following because of the lack of graphics.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

4 recommendations

Click for full size
This is you bro.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Watching the videos (finally), I like the TF2 art style...

I think it makes it unique.(which is a good thing)

Of course I am also one of those odd people that is tired of the gaming industry trying to out "high def" the other guy.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by Kearnstd:

Of course I am also one of those odd people that is tired of the gaming industry trying to out "high def" the other guy.

Play Tomb Raider. You won't be.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
reply to Criticals

I am greatly intrigued. I look forward to giving this a go. It's been a long time since I've played a mmo that's kept my attention for more than a couple of months. Maybe this one can.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Criticals

I don't know who in the hell Ratchet and Clank are, and perhaps I'm showing my age, but as I watched through the videos, I kept thinking Space Ace.