spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bwood

@comcast.net

No DSL, Cell, Cable available need suggestions

I live on the shores of Lake Michigan (north of Manistee Michigan) 80 miles across the lake from Wisconsin. I do not have the option of cable or dsl. Need VPN for work so I can't use Satellite. I am surrounded by woods and have no line of sight to a Michigan cell tower. Here is what I have tried:

Boosting cell signal - I have tried Wilson antennas and booster (both roof mounted omni directional and Wilson Electronics 75 Ohm Wide Band Directional Antenna). I can get a strong signal from Wisconsin but the signal is not usable, cannot call, text or get any data on the signal. No matter how I place or direct the antenna I can't seem to get a Michigan cell signal. I'm using OpenSignal on my Android. My provider is Verizon. Other than building a very tall tower does anyone have suggestions?

Wifi parabolic dish antenna and booster - I can get intermittent networks popping up by pointing the dish at Wisconsin (clear line of sight) but the signal fades in and out and I am unable to connect to the networks I have found. - I have an Alfa 2.4GHz 24dBi Wireless LAN Antenna - For 802.11b,g,N Wireless Wi-Fi mated with EnGenius Network Device EUB9603H USB Adapter 150Mbps 600mW 802.11b/g/n. I'm assuming 80 miles is just too far away for Wifi? Any suggestions.

I am open to any ideas. Thanks!

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

WiFi
It's In The Air

join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls
Reviews:
·ikTel Networks
·Start Communicat..
reply to bwood
said by Anon80:

I live on the shores of Lake Michigan (north of Manistee Michigan) 80 miles across the lake from Wisconsin. I do not have the option of cable or dsl. Need VPN for work so I can't use Satellite. I am surrounded by woods and have no line of sight to a Michigan cell tower. Here is what I have tried:

Boosting cell signal - I have tried Wilson antennas and booster (both roof mounted omni directional and Wilson Electronics 75 Ohm Wide Band Directional Antenna). I can get a strong signal from Wisconsin but the signal is not usable, cannot call, text or get any data on the signal. No matter how I place or direct the antenna I can't seem to get a Michigan cell signal. I'm using OpenSignal on my Android. My provider is Verizon. Other than building a very tall tower does anyone have suggestions?

Wifi parabolic dish antenna and booster - I can get intermittent networks popping up by pointing the dish at Wisconsin (clear line of sight) but the signal fades in and out and I am unable to connect to the networks I have found. - I have an Alfa 2.4GHz 24dBi Wireless LAN Antenna - For 802.11b,g,N Wireless Wi-Fi mated with EnGenius Network Device EUB9603H USB Adapter 150Mbps 600mW 802.11b/g/n. I'm assuming 80 miles is just too far away for Wifi? Any suggestions.

I am open to any ideas. Thanks!

Move.
--
Type slowwer..I can't keep up!
-----------------------------
CANADA TPIA (cable Internet reseller industry) is under attack! If you want to keep ISP competition, contact CRTC, your MP, Industry Minister and Prime Minister's office NOW!