uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Steam may allow game sharing soon!

The following lines of 'code' were found in the newest steam beta

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

Article that I found out about it in:»teksyndicate.com/news/2013/06/19···eam-soon

Source/original : »www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.···64666706

I for one hope this comes to fruition, especially with the xbone's recent crap it would just be wonderful.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Another nail in Microsoft's coffin.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to me1212

Holy cow, these are awesome news.

Thanks for sharing.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

If this were to happen Valve will revolutionize how people play games and buy them... AGAIN.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to me1212

If valve does this, since MS just took away the ability to share digital games(»MS pulls a complete 180 with crappy Xbone policies), valve will be the only service that lets you lend/share digital games. I want this even more now.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Only game wise. Valve needs winblows still as linux and Mac os are not viable to dump the winblows platform.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

said by Cthen:

said by Krisnatharok:

Only game wise. Valve needs winblows still as linux and Mac os are not viable to dump the winblows platform.

Thats okay, while windows is far from perfect its better than the xbox.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by me1212:

said by Cthen:

said by Krisnatharok:

Thats okay, while windows is far from perfect its better than the xbox.

Besides the amount of games on Linux/OS X just keeps growing everyday, so maybe not now, but who's to say in 5 years.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to me1212

Okay, so who's got the biggest game list

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

Besides the amount of games on Linux/OS X just keeps growing everyday, so maybe not now, but who's to say in 5 years.

This is true, heck tomorrow we should get a new humble weekly sale and most of those have linux games in them.

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

In 5 years, despite how any company makes their software compatible with other operating systems, Winblows will still be the dominate one that Steam will run on.

It's a matter of what OS your customers are running and let's face it, Linux or Mac OS will still only be a small fraction of what OS Valve's customers will be using in 5 years.

Despite that, to actually be on topic here.

I like that Valve is still listening to it's customers and now giving us another option with our games. Now will they ever allow me to gift games on my account that I don't play anymore? That would be a really nice next step to see.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Cthen:

In 5 years, despite how any company makes their software compatible with other operating systems, Winblows will still be the dominate one that Steam will run on.

It's a matter of what OS your customers are running and let's face it, Linux or Mac OS will still only be a small fraction of what OS Valve's customers will be using in 5 years.

I agree, but Rome wasn't burnt down in a day and all that.

said by Cthen:

I like that Valve is still listening to it's customers and now giving us another option with our games. Now will they ever allow me to gift games on my account that I don't play anymore? That would be a really nice next step to see.

I agree with you that would be nice, but I'm wondering if Valve is using "lending" as an underhanded way to let you do exactly that. I'm sure a lot of publishers require "One purchase, One nontransferable license" as a condition of letting Steam distribute digitally, so this might be a way of letting you do exactly that, if not explicitly stated.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

said by El Quintron:

said by Cthen:

I agree with you that would be nice, but I'm wondering if Valve is using "lending" as an underhanded way to let you do exactly that. I'm sure a lot of publishers require "One purchase, One nontransferable license" as a condition of letting Steam distribute digitally, so this might be a way of letting you do exactly that, if not explicitly stated.

I second that suspicion, the code didn't say anything about a time limit or about how/if it had to be returned.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to me1212

You can already....

Does Steam Trading mean I can sell my used games?

No, only games that have been bought as a gift, and thus have never been played, can be traded. Once the Steam Gift is opened and added to your game library, you won’t be able to trade it again.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by Cheese:

You can already....

Does Steam Trading mean I can sell my used games?

No, only games that have been bought as a gift, and thus have never been played, can be traded. Once the Steam Gift is opened and added to your game library, you won’t be able to trade it again.

Did you hit reply without actually reading the content of this thread?

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

said by El Quintron:

said by Cthen:

I second that suspicion, the code didn't say anything about a time limit or about how/if it had to be returned.

Hhhmmm.... you might be onto something there. If that is the case, my friends son will very happy when this takes effect.
--

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to pr1mo

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to me1212

Awesome! I wonder if they'll still roll it out even though MS took theirs away? And like Jobbie See Profile said, holy cow!
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to me1212

I'll be curious to see what kind of restrictions, if any, are put into this.

As far as the XBOne share goes I actually suspect that part of the reason they dropped it is due to developers not liking the idea that 1 person pays for a game and 10 others get free access to it. They hate used game sales now, this would cause more "damage" to the industry than used games ever did.
--

Akira 28

join:2002-06-17
Garfield, NJ
reply to me1212

Valve has introduced a card game to Steam called Steam Trading Cards.

Steam Trading Cards are a kind of reward system. Players collect and earn virtual cards as they play through participating games on Valve’s service. Valve says about half of a game’s “deck” will drop in an average play-through, while the other half will be unlocked through trading with others.

“For example, Half-Life 2 has 8 cards in its set, you can receive 4 card drops by playing it,” writes Valve in its FAQ. “You'll need to collect the other half of the set from other community members.”

As players build “decks” they’ll earn badges, and “marketable” items such as emoticons, profile backgrounds, and coupons, says Valve. Coupons can include 50 per cent discounts on games, and DLC packs.

All badges will also have an XP value attached, and as players increase their Steam level, they’ll earn non-tradeable items such as profile showcases, and extra friend slots.

Currently, cards only drop based on how much time players have spent playing any participating game.

“We will definitely look into adding more rules for how cards are dropped in the future, but there are a few problems with in-game achievements that prevented us from using them right now,” says Valve. “Many games have achievements that are grindy or un-fun to get, and we want the act of getting game cards to be fun for all users in games.”
source: gameplanet nz