Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

spazz

join:2013-06-20
Port Moody, BC

[BC] Shaw Vancouver - Very high packet loss

Hey all,

Just probing, are there other folks out there with very high packet loss? It basically started tonight (June 18, 2013, 4-5pm PST).

Local sites, or akamai sites are not impacted (such as www.google.ca), but as soon as I try to go on the East Coast, I get 30%+ packet loss.

Anyone aware of a peering issue or something?

Thx.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
They had an outage last night:
»twitter.com/Shawhelp/status/3475 ··· 62647552

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to spazz
I didn't look for packet loss, but my Internet was very wonky last night. Some website's would barely load, while other's would load fine (I'm guessing it would rely on where the website server was located).

I have my usenet server to use a euro server and US based server. The connection to the euro one was messed up, but the US one was fine.

weird stuff. They must of had some technically issues to routing outside of the west coast?

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to spazz
I did some traceroutes and stuff and it appears there was an issue between Calgary and Winnipeg routing. Why they couldn't reroute through the States is beyond me.

dfloer

join:2003-06-12
Burnaby, BC
For me I was seeing packet loss at the router at 66.163.78.22 and anything transiting AS6453.
Someone said that it might be due to a fiber cut due to flooding, washout and slides in South Eastern BC and South Western Alberta. I don't have anything more concrete than speculation though.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
As I recall 66.163.78.22 is Washington, so already past the flooding areas
AS6453 is a major source of routing woes at the best of times...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to spazz
I had it happen late last might (the 19th) - most sites would load OK, but there was extreme latency once the packets left the Shaw network on some routes. Other routes (like to my usenet provider) were quick as always.

Wasn't high packet loss, just very high latency - like going from 30ms to 200ms over a hop.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
there was very high packet loss and i have multiple line quality tests to proof it, they even had a few small issues today again but its back to the norm now

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to spazz
Yep, it was the pits for the last 2 days until this A.M. Far better now, but still not up to par.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1
reply to spazz
There was a packet loss issue that lasted a few hours on the evening of the 18th.
If you continue to experience any issues, unplug your modem for 15 seconds, and plug it back in.

If problems persist, contact our technical support via phone, chat, email, twitter or our community page.