Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Mele20

Re: [FireFox] Terrible Ghostery Problem

I'm back...

In Firefox 17.0.6 ESR, open about:config, type ghostery and see if any entries come up. If they do, close Firefox and open prefs.js from the corresponding profile using Notepad. Search for and remove all ghostery lines. Save the file using Save as type: All Files. Make sure that you back up prefs.js before you do this so you can revert in case things go wrong. You may also want to open sessionstore.js (same caveats) and check for ghostery entries there too. Then reopen Firefox and see if the ghostery entries are gone. If so, try reinstalling Ghostery.

I remember that you originally installed Firefox 17 ESR on top of Firefox 10 ESR and had a multitude of problems. Did you ever reinstall clean?

I have Ghostery 2.9.5 in Firefox 17.0.6 ESR with 1545 trackers and 740 cookies.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I'll try your instructions probably tomorrow....thanks!

The problems I had with Fx (and later with Opera) turned out, I believe, to be due to a dying router. I always wondered what would happen when a router dies. I suppose it could die in a variety of ways but this one was causing the DNS problems that would more and more frequently occur when I would start Fx (and that I had originally thought might be connected to installing version 17 on top of version 10, but at that time the DNS errors were intermittent, but this got gradually worse. It finally got to the point where the router could not sustain a connection more than about one minute before the DNS problems would start on any browser on both computers.

I removed the TP_Link about a month ago for troubleshooting so I know it is not that router. After almost constant DNS errors (and Windows being confused saying I had a connection when I did not and only when I rebooted would Windows finally say no connection), I decided to connect directly to the modem on XP Pro machine on June 6. No problems after that. I then switched to the Win 8 machine on June 10 and connected directly via the modem. It has had zero problems with connectivity since then ...no DNS errors which had become almost constant on both machines on all browsers when connected through the Linksy router.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to jupitermoon
There were a bunch of Ghostery entries in about:config that had not been removed when I uninstalled Ghostery. So, I followed your instructions and removed the Ghostery lines from prefs.js. I also looked at sessionstore.js and saw some Ghostery entries but those looked to in regards to the Ghostery forum tab I have saved as part of the last Fx session. So, I didn't remove those.

I restarted Fx, checked about:config and all the Ghostery entries were gone. I then reinstalled Ghostery and it started an automatic tutorial which encouraged me to think all Ghostery items were deleted as it never wants to run that tutorial when I upgrade the version. But, alas, it loaded with 1451 trackers blocked. It says the Library is from March 10. Update now button does nothing.

After I installed it again, I checked about:config before I made any changes and it showed some USER set items for Ghostery. The only way that could happen is that I didn't get all Ghostery items removed.

I've had a great deal of trouble with Ghostery since I first got it on this Win 8 machine. I have no problems on the XP machine with Ghostery and the same addons. But then this Win 8 machine has been one problem after another. I greatly regret having bought this machine.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jupitermoon

I removed Ghostery from Firefox 17.0.6 ESR by clicking Remove in Add-ons. I closed and reopened Firefox. I still had 19 extensions.ghostery entries in about:config. I went into about:support, clicked on Show Folder, removed the ghostery folder and closed Firefox. There was no firefox@ghostery.com folder left after clicking Remove. I reopened Firefox and there were still 19 extensions.ghostery entries in about:config. That procedure does not fully remove Ghostery.

I edited and saved prefs.js, opened Firefox and all the extensions.ghostery entries in about:config were gone. I reinstalled Ghostery 2.9.5 and now have 1548 trackers and 741 cookies. It says Library updated on Fri Jun 21 2013.

After you delete Ghostery and reopen Firefox, if you go to about:support, does Ghostery still show under Extensions? It seems like something is blocking you from deleting the ghostery entries.

I wonder if Session Store is getting in the way.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I just deleted Ghostery again. Restarted Fx and went to about:support. Ghostery is NOT listed under extensions.

Then I went to about:config and found 10 entries. Last time I found about 17 and they were a mixture of default and user set settings. This time all of them are user set. I think this one may be the one causing the problem:

extensions.ghostery.selectedBugsUpdated

I suddenly had the thought what would happen if I reinstall Ghostery and then set all the entries in about:config to "default" and then uninstall Ghostery? Maybe what is keeping them from being removed is the fact they are all user set entries? (That should not matter as all entries should be removed when you remove Ghostery but since you saw entries still left there, Ghostery is sloppily removed and that needs fixing by Ghostery).

Do you get that popup if you try to enter Ghostery Options from Fx Addons page? The popup is so fast and doesn't remain on the screen as it should so I had to use Gadwin Print Screen to capture it so I could see what it said. It says to never use Ghostery Options from Addons page but to ALWAYS go to Tools/Ghostery/options instead. What possible difference could it make to access Ghostery options from Addons page instead of from Tools? I've always done it from Addons page. Maybe I screwed something up doing it that way.

All I saw in Session Store was what looked like lines having to do with the Ghostery forum tab that I have kept open. I don't see how having that tab open when Fx restarts could have anything to do with some Ghostery entries not getting deleted but I'll close that tab.

On second thought, I suppose the "reset" Ghostery support had me do was to reset all settings to default and that didn't fix it....but I tried anyway setting each option in about:config Ghostery to default. Then I uninstalled Ghostery and even before restarting I checked about:config and all Ghostery entries were gone. I rebooted, checked again and no Ghostery entries in about:config. So, I felt optimistic. I reinstalled Ghostery and darn it but all the entries reappeared in about:config AND many of them had my settings even though I had not touched Ghostery options yet. UGH!

So, yeah something is blocking all attempts to fully uninstall Ghostery. But what? Heck, by now I could have had a new profile and set up all my tweaks with all the time I have spent on this. But I am stubborn and now I am also mad (and also curious to know why this is happening). I ought to be able to figure out what is causing Fx to not let Ghostery fully uninstall. Maybe I do have a broken profile...but there is NO other indication of such...just the Ghostery problem. GRRRRR......
--

jupitermoon

Some more ideas for you to play with...

Have you tried disabling the 4 extensions you updated at the same time as Ghostery (Session Manager, Tree Style Tabs, Multiple Tab Handler and Informational Tab), restarting Firefox, deleting Ghostery from about:support and from prefs.js, restarting Firefox and reinstalling Ghostery?

Or just starting Firefox in Safe Mode (which disables all add-ons) and deleting Ghostery from about:support and prefs.js, restarting Firefox normally and reinstalling Ghostery?

I don't suppose you have a backup of your Firefox profile from before you updated those extensions.

I meant the Session Manager extension, not Session Store. I don't use this and am not sure exactly how it works, but I was wondering if you were restoring a previous session and if that was repopulating the ghostery entries after you deleted them.

And, yes, I get that popup when I try to enter Ghostery Options from the Add-ons page. You're right, it is so fast that I never even saw it. I don't usually access Ghostery Options that way, but I know I have done so on several occasions. I'm not sure what the problem is since it seems to open the same Options page in a new tab.

What are the values for extensions.ghostery.lastBugUpdate and extensions.ghostery.selectedBugsUpdated?

I just noticed something else. If I click the Ghostery button in the Navigation Bar (old panel) and then I click Update bug lists, a message pops up telling me that Ghostery is already at the latest version, but the title of the popup says JavaScript Application. Do you see this popup if you try to update that way?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I hate having to disable those extensions as they are the guts of Fx for me. I didn't think about Safe Mode. I'll try that. SeaMonkey has Session Manager but the tabbed browsing extensions are not available for it. I don't recall if I updated any other extensions on SM at the same time I updated Ghostery....I'd have to start SM and check. But I had no problems updating bug list for Ghostery there after updating to 2.9.5.

I do have a backup of Fx, SM and Thunderbird using MozBackup but I can't see how to tell the date of the last backup.

Thanks for clarifying you meant Session Manager...I was wondering what Session Store could have to do with this problem. Yes, I always use Session Manager's popup to choose which session to restore. I rarely instead choose to start a new session. I did try starting (before you mentioned this) a new session instead of restoring last session or an older session. I uninstalled Ghostery while in the new session with only my home tab showing. I made sure to get rid of the left behind Ghostery entries and then restarted Fx and again chose a brand new session and then installed Ghostery. I still could not update Ghostery bug list.

extensions.ghostery.selectedBugsUpdated;Sat Jun 22 2013 00:17:03 GMT-1000 (Hawaiian Standard Time)
extensions.ghostery.lastBugUpdate;2012_2_10

The latter is weird and cannot be correct as I have 1451 trackers blocked and that number is from April not February.

I don't have the old Ghostery GUI so I can't update from within the panel.
--

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16
Might a FEBE backup be available to try and help?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I had never heard of FEBE. Thanks! It looks neat but I don't think it can help with this since I only used MozBackup, I think sometime before I did the Ghostery update to 2.9.5 and ran into this problem.
--

jupitermoon

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I don't have the old Ghostery GUI so I can't update from within the panel.

If you want to test that, just go into Ghostery Options and check "Not ready for the new panel? Revert to the old menu temporarily (restart required)."

said by Mele20:

extensions.ghostery.lastBugUpdate;2012_2_10

The latter is weird and cannot be correct as I have 1451 trackers blocked and that number is from April not February.

Did you notice that date is 2012, not 2013?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
No! I didn't notice that it said 2012!!! Where could it have gotten that from? I've only had this computer since middle of November 2012. I installed Fx10 ESR on it. It was a brand new profile dated Nov 16, 2012. So how could Ghostery have found that weird date? That is not from Ghostery not uninstalling properly. Ugh. No matter what I try nothing may fix it but I'll try a few more things.

Plus, I am going to report this weird date in Ghostery forum bug thread (as well report that Ghostery does not fully uninstall from Fx 17 ESR) because you noticed that also so the sloppy uninstall is not because Ghostery is all messed up on my computer. Hmmm.....I wonder if it uninstalls fully on SM?

I had forgotten I could still switch to the old panel. I'll do that. Aha....I wonder could Proxo be messing with the javascript (assuming I see javascript)? But that doesn't make sense as Proxo has been running from the beginning (first thing I installed on the computer after Fx) and I only now am having problems with Ghostery. But it might be worth a shot to start a new session of Fx and switch to a direct connection to the internet (not just a Proxo bypass) and see if that might somehow affect Ghostery.

I need to put my attention to seeing if I can get the Sam Knows Netgear router to work for now (get it out of bridge mode) so I can set up the RIPE Atlas probe that Comcast is sending me as soon as UPS delivers it so I don't know how much time I can spend right now trying to get Ghostery working but I will try some things.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to jupitermoon
I set it to use the old Ghostery panel and clicked on update bug list from that. That just abruptly closes the popup.

I had never noticed until just now that the date on the Ghostery Options General tab under Auto Update says "Library updated on Sat Mar 10 2012". I have looked at that a zillion times and never noticed that the year says "2012". Amazing how our brain sees what it expects to see.

No, I do not have a user.js file in Fx profile.

I started Fx in Safe Mode....geez..is that ugly and disorienting. I could not figure out how to get to the menu bar which I use constantly. The Home button was in a ridiculously weird spot and I couldn't see how to get a new tab and there was no status bar! I hope I don't ever need to use Safe Mode again or need to create a new profile as I guess I would get that crude weird look until I could get my extensions installed. I thought Safe Mode disabled all extensions and themes. But it doesn't disable your theme. Instead it makes it gigantic which would really be icky on a wide screen monitor where vertical space is really precious. Safe Mode used to disable your theme as it might be causing a problem.

Anyhow, in Safe Mode, (I had uninstalled Ghostery before going to Safe Mode) there was no Ghostery entry in about:support but I did have to delete from prefs.js. I made sure to close Fx before doing this and I believe I closed Fx the first time I deleted entries in my profile but I am not positive. I then restarted in normal mode (what a relief) and reinstalled Ghostery....same problem. It showed 1451 trackers blocked yet welcomed me as a new Ghostery user and forced me to go through the tutorial for the new GUI.
--

jupitermoon

I think the 2012 date appears if you reset the extensions.ghostery.lastBugUpdate setting in about:config. But since you deleted all those entries in prefs.js... ?

said by Mele20:

I set it to use the old Ghostery panel and clicked on update bug list from that. That just abruptly closes the popup.

That may mean something is blocking some needed javascript. The popup stays on screen for me. It could also be why you're unable to update.

said by Mele20:

I started Fx in Safe Mode ... I could not figure out how to get to the menu bar which I use constantly ... and I couldn't see how to get a new tab...

Click the orange Firefox button, hover over Options and click Menu Bar. Ctrl-T or File, New Tab for a new tab.

said by Mele20:

It ... welcomed me as a new Ghostery user and forced me to go through the tutorial for the new GUI.

You can just click Skip Wizard to avoid that if you want.

I noticed you're running Collusion. Does that just report on trackers or does it block anything?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Hmmm....I just put Fx on direct connection (I had only bypassed Proxo before) and closed Fx then reopened to a new session of just my home page. Then I tried to update Ghostery. No go. So, it doesn't look like Proxo is blocking any javascript. Then I set Fx back to using Proxo. I shut it down and restarted it and two things happened. One, Ghostery set it self back to the new UI which it shouldn't have done.

The second thing that happened was that I chose the previous session with 50+ tabs to start and nine of them (all among the last to load) gave DNS errors. UGH and double UGH. Now I am wondering if my Linksy router has NOT finally died. I'm using the Netgear router currently because I had decided it was the Linksy causing the DNS errors when they began to get worse and worse but I wouldn't experience them on a direct connection to the modem. But now I am getting them with the Netgear! So, are BOTH routers bad?

Yes, i realize I can click to Skip Wizard. My point was that I used to have it checked in Options to permanently skip it so the fact that it ran this time indicated that some settings were removed but not all.

Collusion just shows the connections in graph form. I think they are planning to block stuff sometime in the future. I don't like it anymore. I can't read the ultra tiny font and I don't like anything jumping around on my screen. I'm going to disable it and maybe uninstall it. It was great when it was new and nothing jumped around constantly and you could easily read the descriptions.
--

jupitermoon

said by Mele20:

I just put Fx on direct connection (I had only bypassed Proxo before) and closed Fx then reopened to a new session of just my home page. Then I tried to update Ghostery. No go.

That means Ghostery was still installed. While on the direct connection, did you also try doing all the deletes (ghostery, firefox@ghostery.com, prefs.js), restarting Firefox, searching for the Ghostery add-on and installing?

Once installed, did you try to update from the Ghostery Navigation Bar (old panel) by clicking Update bug lists? If so, did you see that JavaScript Application popup?

Where in Ghostery Options do you see an option to skip the wizard?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I can't recall if I tried doing all the deletes while on direct connection as I dislike having to do that direct connection at all so I probably didn't. I'm going to be quite busy for some time on an urgent matter so I am not sure when I can try a direct connection again and make sure I uninstall, do all those deletes, etc while on direct connection but when I have time I will. (I also have a horrible problem for many months on both machines regarding DNS errors (the one I have mentioned before that is NOT caused by my installing ver 17 over ver 10 because ALL browsers have the problem and troubleshooting on the Win 8 machine now shows a constant error "the remote device will not accept the connection" and a similar error constant now on the XP machine (yet much f the time pages will load).

So, I don't dare close Fx as when I reopen it is likely thatmany, if not all, tabs will open to a DNS error. I can then click on each tab individually and restart the tab and the site will load ...usually... but the more tabs I have to load at Fx start the more likely only the first few load and rest time out for DNS. I don't know if this is due to a problem on both Win 8 and XP, and occurs whether or not a router is present, or there is a direct connection (although doesn't happen as often on direct connection as on the router - not the Linksy but the Netgear), or if this is because of slow DNS servers from my ISP, etc. But I can't troubleshoot it or the Ghostery problem much further for awhile.

I think the option to skip the wizard is only there right after I install it.
--