spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hawkesrw

join:2013-05-23
Libby, MT

Windows 8!!

Just bought a new computer. I've been a IT Tech for Years. Am I the only one to find Windows 8 a confusing Mess? I still miss XP though 7 was nice also.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Search for Win 8 in the forum - plenty of threads on the topic..

hawkesrw

Libby, MT
reply to hawkesrw
I guess I was meaning this as a general statement not a specific help issue.

Example: I hated Vista but had to learn it anyway!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to hawkesrw
Don't look at it as Windows 8, look at it as a new operating system. A lot of what you know from Windows will serve you well, you just need to explore your new operating system. I believe a large part of the backlash on Windows 8 is how different it is from previous versions of Windows...initially. After you use it for a while you'll be fine. A touch screen makes life a bit easier, but is not required. When the update that brings the Start button back comes out things should be more or less back to normal for most people.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

hawkesrw

Libby, MT
reply to hawkesrw
I am sure your right. I had to print something the other night and it took me five minutes to find the print button....now tell me?...Is that embarrassing or what?

It's like a operating system on top of another operating system and certain things you can not do unless you launch from the desktop.....AHH? I'm sure I've got a couple more months before I get it down.

Do you know many companies even with its limited support still use XP. It needs to be user friendly before they add all these bells and whistles in particulars for large companies who don't want to spend thousands of dollars retraining there staff.

SparkyinCFL
Premium
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL
kudos:1
reply to hawkesrw
LOL ... I have more or less gracefully transitioned from MSDOS to Win7 and everything in between. When I loaded up WIN 8, it looked pretty but left a stupid look on my face as I tried to figure out how to do anything! It took 3 attempts over a few months before I actually liked it. Lots of google searchs "how do I ... in win8".

One thing that WOWed me was when I found out if I simply start typing something on that pretty screen, it starts up a search like the WIN7 start button does. But I think WIN7 start search does a better job IMHO.

hawkesrw

Libby, MT
reply to hawkesrw
I have to admit I like 7 it's a straight forward system and stable. No wonder I retired when I can't figure out how to print something.....lol

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to hawkesrw
said by hawkesrw:

I guess I was meaning this as a general statement not a specific help issue.

Example: I hated Vista but had to learn it anyway!

I know you were not looking for 'help' necessarily, but there are a ton of threads with the same statements that would answer your question you had in your OP.

When Windows 8.1 is released it will have a much more Win 7 look...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

SparkyinCFL
Premium
Saint Cloud, FL
reply to hawkesrw
I agree ... I think Win7 is the best yet ... that's what I use on the main workhorse. I dual boot on the notebook and find Win8 as the prefered lately. Still supporting a few XP's and I have to stop and think more often when going back from WIN7. Don't give up ... consider WIN8 a mental challenge ... to keep the grey matter in motion ...

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to hawkesrw
said by hawkesrw:

Just bought a new computer. I've been a IT Tech for Years. Am I the only one to find Windows 8 a confusing Mess? I still miss XP though 7 was nice also.

If your computer came with Windows 8 Pro, you can always legally upgrade to Windows 7.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to hawkesrw
I just had to wipe/reload my work laptop. I got a new 480GB SSD and it sat on my desk for a week staring at me as I tried to convince myself to load Win8 on it.

In the end, I was unable to muster any excitement to do this and instead noticed myself dreading the ongoing frustration I anticipated. I even asked a tech buddy why I should load Win8 and the first thing he listed was an improved task manager. Not exactly a compelling feature. I ended up loading Win7 but did move to Office 2013.

The final straw for me was spending a couple hours working on a tablet with Win8. I'd been telling myself that the interface would be good on a tablet (but not on a laptop or desktop), but I found myself repeatedly frustrated with it even on a tablet and ultimately installed Classic Shell so I could efficiently get where I needed to go. The worst problem was that the popup keyboard often covered the fields in which I was trying to enter data so I couldn't see what I was typing or easily move between fields.

So Win8, to me, is an OS that compromises the laptop/desktop experience in order to be 'better' on a tablet or phone, but ultimately fails to be good on a tablet (never mind the terrible battery life), so we have an OS being forced on all Windows devices that is really only efficient on one of them: phones.

What a debaculous fail by MS.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to hawkesrw
$10 will solve your Fullscreen8 problems:

»www.stardock.com/products/start8 ··· /start8/

Start8 and ModernMix (when you get the start8 installer it will prompt you to try modernmix).

Presto... you just changed Fullscreen8 back into Windows8.

hawkesrw

Libby, MT

1 edit
reply to hawkesrw
See I just have Windows 8 home so I'm not sure I can get Windows 7 so I will try your suggestions or wait for the upcoming fix. I do still have my 7 laptop which I can actually figure out how to print return labels etc from. And even shut it down without having to go threw to or three menu's to get there.....lol

You know I complain about Microsoft but for years going back to DOS I made my living from there GREAT quality control had it not been for them I'd of been out on the street. Just be thankful they don't build your Car....lol

SparkyinCFL
Premium
Saint Cloud, FL
I did install »www.classicshell.net/ on one Win8 build which brought me to a more comfortable point (windows 7 start menu) ... that helped me explore what was 'behind the curtain' on win8.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to hawkesrw
I honestly have not had much of a problem with Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 Essentials. At least not with the UI, general navigation and so on. My experience with Windows 8 really helped when I had to hurriedly setup Windows Server 2012 Essentials in that I wasn't stumbling over the new UI and could get things done quickly.

Right now I have one problem but its related to "Storage Spaces" not the general newness of the UI or anything related to it.

Basically the server has over 22TB of storage but "Storage Space Size" can't seem to be increased beyond 15.9TB (currently set to 15.5). I seem to have the option of creating another Storage Space pool using the remaining ~7.33TB but thats not what I want at this juncture.

I was thinking this was a Thin Provisioning problem but I'm not sure. I dont think I setup the server that way.

For what its worth I use Windows 7, Windows 8 (without a Start menu replacement), OS X (Mountain Lion 10.8.4), iOS, WebOS and Android. I've also been considering adding Linux (or a more traditional non-mobile version of Linux) so I would not consider myself a class Windows purist,....although I used to only use Windows.

I had an injury to my right hand some time ago and while I have recovered I had to do a lot of things with my left hand during the healing process. As a result I still do a lot of things with my left hand even though there is no longer any need. The experience has changed my way of looking at the world and seems to have made a lot of things easier. For me, adjusting to Windows 8 was fairly trivial,....

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to hawkesrw
Just google "drunk woman windows 8" you wont feel so bad.....
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

SilentMan

join:2002-07-15
New York, NY
reply to hawkesrw
said by hawkesrw:

I have to admit I like 7 it's a straight forward system and stable. No wonder I retired when I can't figure out how to print something.....lol

Get classic shell from »www.classicshell.net/ It's a small utility that brings back the start button and the look and feel of XP or Win 7. You customize it to your liking. A nice way to avoid the ugly Metro crap.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to hawkesrw
said by hawkesrw:

It's just you

You get used to it. Also, if you got a new computer with a touch screen, it makes a lot more sense.

Hang in there, 8.1 should be somewhat better. In the meantime, just stay in desktop, and it should more or less be the same as Win7.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hawkesrw
said by hawkesrw:

I am sure your right. I had to print something the other night and it took me five minutes to find the print button....now tell me?...Is that embarrassing or what?

It's like a operating system on top of another operating system and certain things you can not do unless you launch from the desktop.....AHH? I'm sure I've got a couple more months before I get it down.

Do you know many companies even with its limited support still use XP. It needs to be user friendly before they add all these bells and whistles in particulars for large companies who don't want to spend thousands of dollars retraining there staff.

Ctrl + P
short cut for printing
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to hawkesrw
classic shell + »www.askvg.com/download-classic-s ··· ndows-8/ askvg windows 7 skin.

Perfection.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:4
reply to hawkesrw
I still say the new ui was designed by retards with useless art degrees. They put the shutdown button in the charms bar under settings, settings of all places. Those stupid metro apps always opening fullscreen when it was clearly possible to make them run windowed, and never giving the option. They forgot about true multitasking with the metro ui, and the morons they put in charge have caused many to just generally dislike it as it looks like a childs preschool handheld ui now, all it's missing is the pictures of animals. I did use Win 8 during the beta, and have been given a copy of Win 8 which I have on one of my computers not as the main os.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

SilentMan

join:2002-07-15
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by BlitzenZeus:

I still say the new ui was designed by retards with useless art degrees.

Steve Jobs once criticized Microsoft for having a poor taste in designing User interface. He said these people don't know Art. Well, the tiled ugly Metro BS is the ugliest user interface I have ever seen. Mr. Jobs was 100% right.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to hawkesrw
The problem with Windows 8 was that the people at Microsoft think everyone will be using a touch device and that we all love touch interfaces. Well, that's WRONG! While touch devices are popular and gaining ground in the computing world, there still (and probably will be for many years to come) many instances where a desktop or laptop computer with a physical keyboard and mouse is better. Touch devices are great for portability and doing specific tasks, but keyboard and mouse still beat them in instances where large amounts of data needs to be entered by the user such as in writing a document in a work or home office environment. Microsoft should have released two versions of Windows 8: a standard desktop edition which would be pretty much Windows 7 with whatever new improvements came later and with the good old start button and menu; and Windows 8 TOUCH version with the pretty Metro or Modern interface which is mostly useful for touch devices and not so much in the traditional desktop environment.

Apple has this right. The iPhone and iPad have a user interface perfectly suited for the devices while the MacBook Pro has a regular desktop interface. Yet interfaces are similar.

I hope Microsoft corrects this and allows desktop users to do away with the Modern interface and the ugly and hideous full screen "apps" (I hate this app thing). The way full screen apps are closed might work in a tablet but is totally ridiculous in a non-touch device.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

Don't look at it as Windows 8, look at it as a new operating system.

Window 1.0 (sorry, Metro, just one at a time)
Windows Phone for Personal Computers 8 (for those devices with a rather larger screen)
Windows Modern Operating Environment
WinMe X

Parallax
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hawkesrw
In essence they patched, did a face-over and fixed the Vista flop and called it Windows 7--the best OS MS has ever put out.

Now there is 8. Well, with 8 they are doing a mini-patch and fix or make over and will call it 8.1.

In a year they will do one more face over patch and 8 will likely be a success. That means that many that dislike it will do a 180. Many or most but a long ways from all.

Trust me. For now grin and bear it. It's you only choice. Sorry that the case for you. You've got my sympathies and understanding. Really.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Happydude32

Help us with the new-fangled mouse
I saw this today in a retail store. Seriously, if you have to tell users how to operate your OS with a mouse, you've failed.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
You bring up an interesting point.

Here’s the funny thing. I used to be have the same line of thinking as most people. Windows 8 is only good for touch screens. After using and giving Windows 8 demos at Worst Buy exclusively using hand gestures I thought that was reaffirmed. Now that I’m using Windows 8 at home, on a non-touch screen, I actually like and am more comfortable using the mouse then I ever was using touch screens. I feel like I have more control over actions, and I can’t see myself using a touch screen more than 10% of the time. Unless you have a Surface or a convertible like the Yoga, how the hell is even comfortable to type on a touch screen on a traditional all in one desktop, or laptop? And I don’t see how touch is practical for most real applications. And if you do have a Surface or convertible, why the hell would you want a third of your screen real estate be taken up by a keyboard? Besides, while I love my smartphones and tablets, I am extremely anal about finger prints. I carry screen cleaner and micro fiber cloths around with me everywhere. I completely freak out when I get the slightest finger print or smudge on my laptop screen or desktop monitor and immediately squirt, wipe, buff and de-streakify. I’d probably completely stroke out if I ever get a touch screen desktop or laptop.

I absolutely love going to the Metro UI launching the Twit.tv app, start a video and then click and drag over to the left had side of my screen and bring up the Classic UI on the main portion of the screen and surf the web. The mouse gesture literally takes two seconds to accomplish, I could never get the hang of doing something similar that quick using a touch screen when I’d give my demos.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0 – American Public 1
“the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”
Repeal Obamacare Now!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

Seriously, if you have to tell users how to operate your OS with a mouse, you've failed.

That's an excellent point and you're absolutely right. An effective user interface invites the user to use it effectively, it doesn't need to give you a tutorial on how to navigate around its failings.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to hawkesrw
said by hawkesrw:

Do you know many companies even with its limited support still use XP.

Do you know that our company, a Fortune 500, just finally upgraded from Office 97 across the board in the past 12 months? Just because it is happening, doesn't make it right. Change is difficult because it comes with a learning curve but it is necessary for progression.

I have Win8 on my home computer also, and like everyone I found myself frustrated by finding simple things (i.e. how to shut the damn thing down). But after a couple weeks and a few Google searches, I surf the UI seamlessly as though it was all I knew. You will too.
--
Absölution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 1/12 ToT
Pride and Ego -- 6/6 MSV 1/6H, 6/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 2/12 ToT

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to urbanriot
Install Stardock's Start8, ModernMix, and WindowBlinds 8 and you pretty much have Windows 8 that looks like Windows 7.

I did that and I have to say that I'm actually happy with the results. Some things still annoy me but it's the little things, things that I can get over. Some apps don't like to be skinned by WindowBlinds for some reason but 99% of the apps out there can be so for the few that can't I'll put up with the BS plain window border.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog