Search similar:

uniqs
TheMist
join:2009-02-06
York, ON

1 edit

TheMist

[Cable] Why DHCP issue happen so often and take so long to resol

It happened second time for me. If you look at the forum the issue pops almost on every page.

First time it took 3 days to resolve.
Now I still have no valid IP from Tuesday June 18.
They opened a ticked to Rogers and gave me - "Please allow 48hrs for a reply."

Well, I understand that this is Rogers territory and Teksavvy has no
influence there at all, but 2 days to type in MAC address in to database? Could it be automated somehow? You are IT companies after all.

Do we need a petition to CRTC?
I want Teksavvy to have much more control in this area.
TheMist

TheMist

Re: [Cable] Why DHCP issue happen so often and take so long to r

Hahaha, just after I've post it I've got my internet back

But question still remains.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Call the 1% to arms, collect petitions, make signs, grab bitchforks and firebrands - and March to Ottawa and Storm the CRTC and Raise a hullaboO for CHANGE. Show Mr. J.P. Blais & Co. we're serious.
TheMist
York, ON

TheMist

IMHO this is a serous problem.
From technical point of view it is question of two database synchronizing. It should take minutes. Currently Teksavvy needs to
open ticket to Rogers for every single change/update.
It takes days for them.
gleng19919
join:2013-06-20
Gatineau, QC

gleng19919

Yeah it's ridiculous just how many restrictions they have when dealing with all of the other ISPs.

I mean I understand not wanting them to lose business to teksavvy and such but they do on purpose to really slow EVERYTHING down when it comes to requests.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Teddy Boom to TheMist

Premium Member

to TheMist
It is a great question. However, we should note that there are actually about three different DHCP issues.

The first type of DHCP problem is caused when customers change the equipment connected to their modem. You get 1 or 2 IP address leases, and if you run out of leases, you can't get online with a new device. Assuming the neighbourhood is working well, this isn't such a big problem. A factory reset, or leaving the modem disconnected for 30 minutes, or a MAC address clone, fixes the problem. For example (but it comes up a lot):
»Re: [Cable] Modem will only connect to Internet directly to PC..

The type I think you are referring to is when there is IP exhaustion on your local CMTS (or local node actually, I guess), or in the local neighbourhood, or whatever. Teksavvy gives Rogers IP address blocks to be allocated by neighbourhood to end customers. The problem is, Teksavvy has little information about how those IP addresses are being allocated, or where in Rogers network their customers are located, so there is no direct way to address this problem. It is further complicated because there doesn't seem to be any easy way for Teksavvy to get these issues resolved. I've many times had customers file tickets due to IP exhaustion, only to be closed with inane instruction/explanation from Rogers. The most egregious example of this was over Christmas 2011, as documented in a couple of Teksavvy blog posts:
»blogs.teksavvy.com/?p=169

The third type is when you get online light blinking, or on DCM425 three lights blinking. This seems to be caused by HFC IP exhaustion. Rogers has inexplicably set a limit on the number of TPIA modems that can come online on any given CMTS (or in any neighbourhood anyway, the back end architecture isn't that clear). The tell tale symptom is a modem that syncs fine until it is provisioned, and then suddenly can't go online. This one is almost impossible to explain to any tech support at Teksavvy or Rogers. At this point I simply swap the modem, and that seems to fix the problem (or else a few days later the problem gets fixed anyway, and meanwhile swapping the modem makes the customer and I feel like something is happening, I honestly don't know which).
»[Cable] DCM476 Flashing "Online" LED
msharif
join:2011-06-22
Toronto, ON

msharif

I've had the 3rd issue happen to me 3 times spaced over 6 months with the most recent issues happening this week after dupont was switched over to ATPIA.
mik29999
join:2008-07-21
Toronto, ON

mik29999 to TheMist

to TheMist
Would having a static IP avoid any of these problems?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Teddy Boom to msharif

Premium Member

to msharif
said by msharif:

I've had the 3rd issue happen to me 3 times spaced over 6 months with the most recent issues happening this week after dupont was switched over to ATPIA.

Ya, I should have added something about this... When Rogers has problems, you also get the online light blinking symptom. In these cases it is probably effecting everybody on that node (or CMTS? including Rogers own customers) at the same time. Basically, the low level RF part of the plant is still fine (so DS and US lights go solid), but the equipment that manages the higher level communication is not responding.
TheMist
York, ON

TheMist to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
Thanks for explanation Teddy,
In my case I've got 10.x.x.x IP from Rogers.
It took them 2 days to provision my modem.
Why so long?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TheMist:

Thanks for explanation Teddy,
In my case I've got 10.x.x.x IP from Rogers.
It took them 2 days to provision my modem.
Why so long?

Because they dont have to do it any quicker, and prefer that you be unhappy with your 3rd party provider, and a few more episodes like that may cause you to switch.