join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol

Re: Windows 8!!

said by lorennerol:

Seriously, if you have to tell users how to operate your OS with a mouse, you've failed.

That's an excellent point and you're absolutely right. An effective user interface invites the user to use it effectively, it doesn't need to give you a tutorial on how to navigate around its failings.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Install Stardock's Start8, ModernMix, and WindowBlinds 8 and you pretty much have Windows 8 that looks like Windows 7.

I did that and I have to say that I'm actually happy with the results. Some things still annoy me but it's the little things, things that I can get over. Some apps don't like to be skinned by WindowBlinds for some reason but 99% of the apps out there can be so for the few that can't I'll put up with the BS plain window border.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I have Start8 and love it. I installed Windows Blinds beta for Windows 8 recently. I love that I can do full transparency for windows, browsers, taskbar.

I also love that Windows Blinds let me get rid of that horrible to read Segoe font. I still can't believe that Microsoft would not allow font of choice on a desktop! So, I was so happy to be able to choose Verdana Display (Verdana bold separated from its family so it will show up in browsers list of fonts) for my Windows font. My biggest complaint about Win 8 (that Start8 could not fix) is the horrible lack of Clear Type fonts and the fact that fonts on Windows 8 are gray on a white background instead of black and are fuzzy/blurry. Verdana Display (bold) has fixed that problem and I was able to lower my minimum font size in my browsers by several points because I can now read much smaller text.

But I lost bold text for right click context menus and all drop down menus on IE 10. Have you used Windows Blinds to change the Windows font? Do you have any idea how I can get Windows Blinds to use Verdana Display for all text both on Windows itself (some Windows Explorer items are now in a spidery almost impossible to read non Verdana font) and in IE? I know there is a beta issue thread for Windows Blinds for Windows 8 but it very long and I have only read part of it. I have never used Windows Blinds before so I have no idea how to fix this font problem where WB is not using Verdana Display font.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

Install Stardock's Start8, ModernMix, and WindowBlinds 8 and you pretty much have Windows 8 that looks like Windows 7.

I did that and I have to say that I'm actually happy with the results. Some things still annoy me but it's the little things, things that I can get over. Some apps don't like to be skinned by WindowBlinds for some reason but 99% of the apps out there can be so for the few that can't I'll put up with the BS plain window border.

So you guys installed 3rd party software to give you "back" the functionality and feel of Windows 7. Sounds more like Windows 8 out of the box is a downgrade, rather than an upgrade for some.