uniqs

yaplej
Premium Member
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

yaplej

Premium Member

[Info] Passed ROUTE (642-902)!!!

I took the ROUTE exam this morning after scheduling it over a month ago. Had to cram this last week but ended up passing it!

Everything I have read about them upping the difficultly for ROUTE seems to be true. It was not an easy exam at least not for me. I still had 3 questions that I didn't get to answer. That little clock ticked away to 00:00 to fast.

Now on to SWITCH. Hope that its a bit easier than ROUTE was
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Congrats.
In my experience, Switch is MUCH easier than Route. Get T-Shoot done whilst Route (and Switch) is still in your head 'cos you'll need that knowledge fresh in your head.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to yaplej

MVM

to yaplej
Congrats.

Wish I had the energy to do some certs.

I think my CCNA has lapsed which means I'll probably just work on my Juniper certs, given that I am working more with that now than Cisco.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Or pass CCIE written to renew the CCNA
chandom
join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL

chandom to yaplej

to yaplej
Congrats as well.

Starting the CCNP journey as well.

Got any suggestions for study materials or resources for the ROUTE test? Started to watch the CBT Nuggets video series and reading the Cisco press certification guide.

Best of luck with the rest of your journey.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to yaplej

MVM

to yaplej
Congrats as well yaplej See Profile... my xxNA lapsed, and I can't find the paperwork proving I passed the old ONT exam -- lost it in
a move -- so looking at redoing my xxNA, then finishing my xxNP.

Regards

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

Congrats as well yaplej See Profile... my xxNA lapsed, and I can't find the paperwork proving I passed the old ONT exam -- lost it in
a move -- so looking at redoing my xxNA, then finishing my xxNP.

Regards

come on, hf. go big or go home -- ccie!

;-P

q.

yaplej
Premium Member
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

yaplej to chandom

Premium Member

to chandom
That's exactly what I used to study for ROUTE. After watching all the CBT Nugget videos I read the CCNP ROUTE certification guide front to back.

I probably should have done the labs from CBT or setup my own for each topic but I was kind of lazy so skipped the labs. As a result the simulations on the exam took me a bit longer than they probably should have eating into my time.

There was more IPv6 on the test than I expected. The real fun was the combination of IPv6 + multi-area OSPF. I have zero experience with IPv6 in the real world so was just going by the few chapters in the ROUTE certification guide and still did OK I think. Always could have done better though
yaplej

yaplej to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
With how difficult the ROUTE exam is I wonder how much more difficult the CCIE written is. Did Cisco close the gap between CCNP and CCIE written by that much or is the CCIE still that much more difficult than the CCNP is over the CCNA?

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by yaplej:

With how difficult the ROUTE exam is I wonder how much more difficult the CCIE written is. Did Cisco close the gap between CCNP and CCIE written by that much or is the CCIE still that much more difficult than the CCNP is over the CCNA?

having never taken the ccnp route (i only took the bcmsn about 7-8 years ago) -- i can't answer that question.

the ccie written is only a small barrier. the ccie test is not about the written knowledge (though the test *can* be tricky if you're not used to seeing weird questions) -- its about the lab and how they can screw with you.

the best way to explain it -- the ccnp tests you on "the real world"(tm); the ccie trains you for the 1 in a million idiosyncrasy between two protocols. the ccie isn't a "best practice" or "real world" test -- its simply about how cisco can screw with you and make you make it work.

[edited to add] congratulations, by the way! passing a cisco test is always cause for celebration and breaking out of the finer spirits in the cabinet!

q.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
@tubbynet
A good man knows his limitations... and believe me, CCIE MAY be in the future... just not right away.

Regards

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

A good man knows his limitations...

that must be my problem then...

;-P