Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Still a couple problems...

Both of your points are moot because books and magazines are still allowed to be outside of storage during takeoff and landing.

A medium sized hardcover book will do just as much damage, if not more than a kindle, nook, portable DVD player, and tablet.

People have not been paying attention to flight attendants far longer than electronics have been around.

Aborted takeoffs are much more common these days? Source?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

.... I could also care less as to pay attention to flight crews on the ground.. what have they said to me today that I haven't heard a million times, or several times a month? ... that I can't smoke in the lavatory? .. how the FAA requires you stay in your seat? .. or is it that the seat cushon, or fat guy sitting next to you that they charged for two seats and STILL spills into yours, can be use as a flotation device in case of a water landing?

Yea.. can't we drop these silly arguments? ... I have always wondered WHY it's not ok to use the stuff when the door closes before takeoff, BUT, as soon as wheel touch down on landing it's okay to use cell phones again... I guess they assume everyone is an idiot.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
YOU should read a paper sometime, or maybe because a live near a major manufacture, that I actually PAY ATTENTION to aviation news.
At least a couple time a month their a stories about someone getting ejected/remove from a flight for failing to follow "Turn it off and buckle up" instructions while still on the taxiway.
Flight attendants get up at 1500 feet, YOU have to stay seated until 10K.

and several time a week planes to/from Seattle alone do a return to terminal/closest airport for mechanical reasons and maybe one more for passenger health or discipline problems.

Try googling Emergency landing in google news

and hard cover book?!? do they even make those anymore?
not nearly as distracting as a reader/game/ movie on a little screen.
tshirt

tshirt to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
Maybe we should do a test mythbusters style.
You be buster and I'll throw a hard sharp edged tablet with a breakable screen and a semi flexible paper and cardboard book at you at say 120 MPH (assume an aborted takeoff or hardlanding that ends against an embankment or building) and see how long that delays you and the other people trying to exit the plane around you.

We can guess there aren't bookcases full of hard cover books out on a typical plane , but given this permission there could be hundreds of phones and tablets and kindles etc flying around.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by tshirt:

We can guess there aren't bookcases full of hard cover books out on a typical plane , but given this permission there could be hundreds of phones and tablets and kindles etc flying around.

There are already hundreds of phones and tablets and kindles sitting in laps waiting to fly around, they just have to be turned off right now. As a flying object, they are no less dangerous when powered off, and not requiring them to be turned off is the only thing this rule would change.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
quote:
YOU should read a paper sometime, or maybe because a live near a major manufacture, that I actually PAY ATTENTION to aviation news.
At least a couple time a month their a stories about someone getting ejected/remove from a flight for failing to follow "Turn it off and buckle up" instructions while still on the taxiway.
quote:
and several time a week planes to/from Seattle alone do a return to terminal/closest airport for mechanical reasons and maybe one more for passenger health or discipline problems.

Try googling Emergency landing in google news
Which are NOT aborted takeoffs. You just can't switch your statistic mid-discussion. An aborted takeoff is a no-kidding the plane can get up in the air, which can lead stuff flying around the cabin. Emergency landings are fairly commonplace, but they are for a variety of reasons and the crews and passengers know it is coming, so they have time to stow their devices.
quote:
Says the guy who tells me to read a newspaper.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

There are already hundreds of phones and tablets and kindles sitting in laps waiting to fly around,...

Not if YOU actually listened AND obeyed the safety instructions.
ALL loose items MUST be stowed in the overhead bin, under the seat in front or in the seat pocket.

and no you don't have time to get up a put your shit away in an abort or a quick go round when the FA will be TRYING to explain the brace position and evacuation (not your bowels) procedures to everyone.
apparently you haven't spent all that much time around runways OR airplanes.
emergencies happen every day and the crew manages MOST of them without injuries, I seems like you shuld be reasonable ready in those that don't go well.
In an Evacuation the life and death difference is literally seconds.
tshirt

tshirt to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
said by Omega:

quote:

You get a hardcover newspaper? really?

see the winky simile face implies humor perhaps sarcasm keep trying you learn about this internet thing someday

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

said by Omega:

quote:

You get a hardcover newspaper? really?

see the winky simile face implies humor perhaps sarcasm keep trying you learn about this internet thing someday

I knew perfectly well that you were trying to be cute.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Not if YOU actually listened AND obeyed the safety instructions.
ALL loose items MUST be stowed in the overhead bin, under the seat in front or in the seat pocket.

This always bothered me. Its under the seat. If there was an emergency, its going to fly around at our feet now, instead of our faces? that isnt any better. Also, having been on a trip where there was lots of turbulence and a shitty hard landing, those overhead storage bins like to open up and puke their contents all over. They do not stay shut very well. The seat in front of you, maybe, so you can ram your knees into it and immobilize yourself, sure. I would rather have it in my hands where I can stop if from flying around altogether.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

There was an evaluation done 20-30 years ago (after hijackings became a problem) about how to make commercial aviation SUPER SAFE
The conclusion was dimly light windowless planes, facing backward (best energy absorption in an accident) either naked or basic loaned jumpsuit no movie, no bathroom, no food, no personal items, baggage on a separate plane.
Obviously not a good seller with the airlines, who were hoping for a resounding "it's super safe NOW"