fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Still a couple problems...

said by ISurfTooMuch:

The last thing I want in an emergency situation is some bozo ahead of me whose reaction time is slowed down because he's paying more attention to his phone than what's happening around him.

wow.. exaggerate much, always, at every chance? This can be directed towards every one that has a hard on for cell phones... it's always EVERYONE ELSE that does all the things that you bitch about, isn't it? ... you've never been distracted at your own calls.. you always put your phones down in crowds.. you never drive or have read a text behind the wheel.. etc etc etc.. .I can assure that more people than not do all the things they bitch about when it comes to phones,... only in their mind they can do it better because everyone else is an idiot. Problem is that EVERYONE that I've witnessed with this view DOES do all the things they hate at some point.. even me. No one walks on water.

Oh.. and yea.. give it a rest.. if there's an emergency on a plane, I'm SURE "some bozo" in front of you is going to be on their phone.. give it a rest.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

I take it you are one of the ones who can't stand those 10 minutes or so without a phone, and ipod, and xbox or a TV blaring away at you?

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to fiberguy

I never said I'm a saint, but I know when a cell phone can be distracting, and I try not to use it at those times. And they can be distracting. Walk across a street where you have to watch for traffic. Now try doing it while talking on a phone. It's not impossible, but it's harder to do. Your reaction time is slowed by a small amount because you have an extra thing you're trying to pay attention to, and the caller on the other end often doesn't realize what you're trying to do, so they keep talking when they should pause to let you concentrate. My policy is, if I'm walking down a sidewalk and need to cross a street, I'll tell the person on the other end to wait while I get across, at which point I'll resume the conversation.

We had a situation here last year where a student on a skateboard was hit by another student driving a car. The guy on the skateboard didn't see the car until the last second because he was texting while he was in the street. He looked up at the last second, realized what was about to happen, and jumped straight up, going through the car's windshield. And, as for the girl driving the car, she never saw the guy on the skateboard because...wait for it...she was also texting.

And I never said that everyone who uses a cell phone would use them irresponsibly, but you know good and well that there are people who do. And, just for the record, I have been in a situation where the plane plunged straight down for quite a bit. It was scary as hell, and there was absolutely no warning. We hit a pocket in a storm cloud, and down we went. Obviously, we didn't crash, and the pilot got the plane under control and got us out of there in a hurry by climbing as fast as he could. I'm just saying that I don't want to be next to someone who has a slowed reaction time because they're paying more attention to what's on their phone than to what's happening on the aircraft.

If you don't agree, that's fine. Just giving my opinion.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to tshirt

I take it you assume much... my opinion in this matter reflects a difference of right and wrong... however, YOU have failed to establish how someone else listening to their iPod, or reading their Nook, or taking a photo out the window has ANY impact on YOUR existence.. now does it?

So.. I take you you're wrong.

WHY does anyone with an opinion against someone else's way-out-of-line complaint have to be associated with the very thing YOU don't like? ... narrow minded?

To be honest.. I'm never one that travels in coach.. I could care less what goes on back there. Up in the front of the plane we don't seem to have these petty issues.

FYI... tell the pilots to put their iPads down too at take off.. I"m sure what they're doing is the same as "some bozo getting in your way" in case of an emergency too.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to ISurfTooMuch

I don't agree.. and you're opinion isn't invalid as you just stated... however, it's not the act of texting that the issue is.. it's act of someone prioritizing their tasks that is the issue. The same could be said that it slows someone down, on their skate board, when they look at their wrist watch to see what time it is as well. I've seen people walking down the sidewalk reading a news paper as they head to work.. for people to tie DISTRACTIONS to electronic devices just tells me they're not making honest and well educated statements.

In Minnesota, aside from texting and driving laws, we have a "distracted driving" law.. and that is that if a police/sheriff officer watches your driving and it's erratic, they see you eating a whopper behind the wheel, or looking in the back seat yelling at your kid, they can pull you over and cite you for "distracted driving".. and while you CAN talk on your cell phone, if they see you finger-f'ing your cell phone, and you're driving is affected, they can also get you for distracted driving.

The point here is to STOP attacking 1) electronics, because it's not exclusive to electronic devices.. 2) stop blanketing assumptions that YOUR life will be impacted because someone else decides to listen to their iPod or talk on the phone, or what ever they're doing.. SOME people are impeccable at multi tasking and prioritizing their attention to what they're doing.. YOU have no idea if they're giving more attention to walking, or what ever action they're doing JUST because they have a phone or mp3 player in their hand. I'm guessing that somehow police officers are super men and women and while WE can't talk on our phones by holding them in our hands, THEY somehow are better at it? ... because THEY have radios, cell phones, computer screens.. etc. all pointed in their faces in their cars.. not to mention they're thinking and processing a ton of stuff AND sometimes driving at a high rate of speed doing what ever they are doing.

Point is... no two people are the same.. no blanket assumption should be made because they're ALWAYS wrong... There ARE people that can't so much as chew gum and walk.. that's an older statement than any "people can't talk on the phone and drive" statements... right? Personally, for me, when I'm driving, 80% of my brain is on the road and the area around me.. and 10% on my passenger talking to me...

But.. I'm curious.. during that plane plummeting example that you gave (which I've also experienced) how many people in their seats, with a tab or phone in their hand, didn't immediately put it down before crapping their pants? ... or did they sit there trying to get that last "words with friends" word out before realizing they may die? In that example, THEIR action, in THEIR seat still didn't impact your life. But, even with your example, we're talking about the moment of door closing to 10,000 feet, which is about 10 minutes of time... and the fact that they've tried to state that electronic devices can bring a plane down... which is doesn't.

atreznik

join:2004-08-30
USA

1 edit

edit

edit