uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: [HD] Get Ready for "Ultra-HDTV"

While some major programmers like ESPN take a wait-and-see approach to 4K, TV makers are working on ways to supply Ultra-HD content that can take advantage of the pricey sets they’re trying to sell to consumers:

Priming the 4K Pump
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel New - June 21, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· -4k-pump
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

On the other hand:

Bad News TV Industry, Bernstein Says 4K May Be An Unsellable Feature
By Jeff Rosz, Screen Fury - June 24, 2013
»screenfury.com/bad-news- ··· feature/

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Eventually as the cost of manufacturing goes down and the prices for 4K TV's are in line with what we pay today for 1080p TV's, then to me it's a no brainer.

Like all technology, something better comes out at a high cost... but then in time that better thing becomes standard and the cost is lowered to what is considered the "norm". With HEVC compression, the impact on the network is the same as it is with HDTV today. So I think it may take some time, however one day we will be on various forums complaining about why our providers are not carrying a particular channel in 4K. We will be moaning and groaning on why a particular channel is only in 1080i, or why our wives or girlfriends can't change the channel to the proper channel number that tunes the 4K version of a particular network.

One day, you will see this!

wolf0621
@valassis.com

wolf0621

Anon

It's not even necessarily "better" products, but has more to do with whether something can be packaged as new & be made appealing to the masses. Companies are happy to sell it to you whether it's better or not, can't imagine that CC would be an exception. Early adopter types (and those for whom money is no object) excluded of course...

I've been reading lots of pro & con articles about 4k but ultimately what will get it off the ground is mass acceptance, which doesn't necessarily require that it be better. It can also be better objectively speaking but not relevant based on other factors (like viewing distance vs additional resolution, e.g. are you sitting close enough to notice that extra detail?).

Sometimes improvements are too compelling to pass up like HD vs SD & almost sells itself but seems to me that this jump from 1080p to 4k is more evolutionary than revolutionary. I don't think it changes everything like HD did (at least for me). I've seen some instore demos of the limited number of 4k sets now for sale, being fed by 4k sources. Yeah it's a sharper picture (if I stand close enough) with marginally better color reproduction but $5k-$7k, or $25k if you want to go really big?

The prices of hardware & media for 4k have to come in line with current 1080p pricing for it to really catch on. Once it reaches the point where 4k is just considered the latest HD feature that's included in most sets (like 1080p is now) then it will have turned the corner. I'm personally more excited about OLED (if it ever actually gets here). And let's keep in mind that what you're currently watching on HD cable isn't even in 1080p yet, it's still 1080i at best although my box has a 1080p passthrough setting. Maybe CC will skip that step completely & go straight to 4k...?

Maybe I should start getting excited about 8k! ESPN is supposedly building new production facilities not far from here that will be 8k-ready, and didn't Japan at one point do some type of successful test or demo with 16k transmissions?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by wolf0621 :

Yeah it's a sharper picture (if I stand close enough) with marginally better color reproduction but $5k-$7k, or $25k if you want to go really big?

The prices of hardware & media for 4k have to come in line with current 1080p pricing for it to really catch on. Once it reaches the point where 4k is just considered the latest HD feature that's included in most sets (like 1080p is now) then it will have turned the corner. I'm personally more excited about OLED (if it ever actually gets here). And let's keep in mind that what you're currently watching on HD cable isn't even in 1080p yet, it's still 1080i at best although my box has a 1080p passthrough setting. Maybe CC will skip that step completely & go straight to 4k...?

I'm looking forward to large-screen OLED displays myself.

Not sure how good their U-HDTV sets are (e.g., a 4K mode refresh rate of only 30Hz), but SEIKI Digital has released some 4K U-HDTV sets at some (relatively) low prices - an MSRP of $1500 for their SE50UY04 50-inch set and an MSRP of $699 for their SE39UY04 39-inch set, with plans to release a 65-inch model by this fall:

SEIKI Expands Its 4K Ultra HDTV Line With A New 39-inch Model
SEIKI to Introduce a 65-inch 4K Model by Fall 2013

Press Release, PR Newswire - June 24, 2013
»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 501.html
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by wolf0621 :

Yeah it's a sharper picture (if I stand close enough) with marginally better color reproduction but $5k-$7k, or $25k if you want to go really big?

I'm looking forward to large-screen OLED displays myself.

Not sure how good their U-HDTV sets are (e.g., a 4K mode refresh rate of only 30Hz), but SEIKI Digital has released some 4K U-HDTV sets at some (relatively) low prices - an MSRP of $1500 for their SE50UY04 50-inch set and an MSRP of $699 for their SE39UY04 39-inch set, with plans to release a 65-inch model by this fall:

SEIKI Expands Its 4K Ultra HDTV Line With A New 39-inch Model
SEIKI to Introduce a 65-inch 4K Model by Fall 2013

Press Release, PR Newswire - June 24, 2013
»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 501.html

The Seiki is barebones, super cheap Chinese stuff. It has poor black levels, inaccurate settings, and no ability to really be tweaked. A bunch of legit home theater reviewers have had hands on with it and found it to be terrible at dealing with anything but perfect 1080p and 4k material, which of course means all cable and DVD content looks like crap on it. As you could imagine that means they cheaped out on any kind of proper scaling/deinterlacing that becomes critically important at three times the resolution of 1080p.

wolf0621
@rogers.com

wolf0621

Anon

A bit off topic but here's an article contrasting 4k & OLED, other sites like CNET & digitaltrends have posted similar articles:

»www.technologyguide.com/ ··· evision/

If this is to be believed then OLED can actually make 1080p look better than native 4k looks on a good 4k set, and "only" requires new hardware not new content. So I think I'm hanging my hopes more on OLED & if 4k happens it happens. If it gets cheap enough we may even have 4k OLED displays which means I'll never have to leave the house again...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Samsung rolled-out it's first large-screen OLED HDTV today - a 55-inch model priced at $13,000, as well as two new Ultra-HD LCD sets (55-inch and 65-inch models):

Samsung rolls out OLED TV as production glitches linger
By Miyoung Kim, Reuters - June 27, 2013
»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20130627

An article about this: »www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ ··· 3144.htm
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

While some major programmers like ESPN take a wait-and-see approach to 4K, TV makers are working on ways to supply Ultra-HD content that can take advantage of the pricey sets they’re trying to sell to consumers:

Priming the 4K Pump
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel New - June 21, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· -4k-pump

Sony is now taking preorders on their 4K Ultra-HD Media Player which will be available at a price of $699 starting July 15th:

Sony 4K Video Player To Reach Retail on July 15
Taking Preorders on $699 Device that Comes Preloaded with Ten Movies in Ultra HD Format

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - July 2, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/ind ··· 5/144231
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Samsung will be coming out with a pair of Ultra-HDTVs next month, with a 55-inch model going for about $5,500 and a 65-inch model for about $7,500:

Samsung Lowers UHD TV Prices
By David Goetzl, MediaPost - July 10, 2013
»www.mediapost.com/public ··· ces.html